Author Topic: Fishing in Arillas  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Shazbhatt

Fishing in Arillas
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »
Hi

We are coming over in early May (can't wait), and we wondered if there is anywhere where we can loan/buy cheap fishing equipment and bait from, and where are the best places to fish in and around Arillas?

Also, do you need a fishing licence to fish, or are there any restrictions over where you can fish etc (only hobby fishing, not full on trawler fishing!) ?

Thanks loads

Sharon

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Fishing in Arillas
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
I read somewhere that fishermen in Arillas used explosives to blow fish out of the water - many years ago - and that the consequences were that the sea bed had been damaged and was not conducive  for fishing thereafter.
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »
We're there in May, so if I hear any bangs I'll assume it's you, Shazbhatt!

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:05:15 AM »
Sharon

I suspect by the lack of replies that Arillas is not renowned for fishing. I would guess that the end of the 'pier' might be the best place but you will have the locals. The harbour at San Stefanos over the hill used to be OK but last summer it silted up. If you can get over to San Stef call into Sophia's Gift Shop next door but one to Thomas Bay Hotel and ask George where he suggests.

I think it is indicative that a friend who lives near Arillas and loves fishing now travels right round to Kassiopi on the east coast for his 'freezer stocking-up'.

Dennis

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Hi, If I was you I would ask Spiro's from Bardis sun appartments, he loves his fishing and im sure he will be able to tell you the best place. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
Good idea Viv! Also Aris and Kostas who can be found most days in Gratsela Taverna. Aris owns The Bardis Sun Hotel, and his brother Kostas, Gratsela. They both fish regularly in Arillas bay in their own fishing boat, and the catch makes wonderful eating in the taverna! Thomas Vavalis, of Vavalis Fish Taverna is also a 'regular' fisherman and fishes most days in the bay, he leaves in the early hours and gets back about 3pm. He has offered to take me with him, but I'm no sailor!
Hope this helps,
Yammas,
Martin.

Booking.com