Author Topic: Flights 2010 - book now or wait?  (Read 9500 times)

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Flights 2010 - book now or wait?
« on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »
Hello,
ok, Arillas addicts,  I need your advice!  We came home 2 weeks ago from another wonderful holiday in Arillas (Kaloudis Village) and have already booked an apartment directly with Roula at Kaloudis for July 2010. This will be the first year that we have booked independently and it's purely due to flexibility - my dad will be joining us for 1 week of our 2 week stay and it's not possible through Thomson (they don't do single occupancy on studios or change in occupancy on apartments).

So, having booked the apartment  - do we book the flights dliemma now or hang fire?
We need:
2 seats B'ham or EMA  to Corfu (5-19 July)
1 seat Manchester - Corfu (12-19 July)

I have researched the flights available at the moment and there are ones available with Monarch, Thomas Cook & Thomson Ariways at the times we prefer (daytime) and return flights leaving around the same time (don't want to leave my dad sitting in Corfu airport on his own for hours).  I have ruled Thomson out at the moment due to cost for B'ham/EMA route. Prices are coming out around £259 each with Monarch / Thomas Cook (though there is a huge difference between what the brokers are quoting for THomas Cook flights and what their own website is saying - £500 each!!)

Also, is there any danger in getting whacked with a price hike if we pay now for a flight or is it done & dusted?

Thoughts and comments appreciated!

Thank you

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Flights 2010 - book now or wait?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »
Hi Topsey,

Not being from your part of the world I don't know the logistics of choosing Manchester over Birmingham & E.Mids but you will pick up the flights for a song once Easyjet release the next phase of their summer schedule.

The savings are so substantial that personally - even taking into account the expense of the extra traveling involved -it works out cheaper for us to travel down South from Scotland to catch an Easyjet flight.

Eileen.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:00:24 PM »
Hi Eileen,  thanks for your reply.

We (hubby & I) would ideally want to fly from B'ham (30 mins away) or EMA (15 mins away) so are limited to Monarch or the charter flights through package holoiday companies. My dad will fly from Manchester (near to where he lives) and could do any airline, so long as it's a daytime flight. I don't feel it's fair to bung a 72 year old (albeit a fit & healthy one) on a night flight on his own.  Additionally, as put on the post above, we need departure times home to tie in coming home, which they wouldn't do with EasyJet.

I suppose what I am asking is (from peoples experience) are these charter flights likely to drop in price when Easyjet go on sale (due to the competition) or will they stay the same or go up? 

Previously we have booked a package holiday and found that, by booking early, we have got a great price.  Does that apply to flights with these package holiday firms?

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »
Generally the flight prices tend to rise as the months progress.  The huge reduction in flights to Corfu in the past few years but steady demand has reflected in the pricing.  Until fairly recently it was advisable not to book as soon as the new schedules were released, but to wait until around the end of November/December when the prices dropped a little.  This didn't happen last year and caught many of us out. 

I'd recommend booking now if you have found the flights which suit you best.

Have you seen the Manchester flights here.... www.kissflights.com ?

Eileen.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice Eileen and also for the link - that looks promising!

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »
Hi Topsey,

I am about to book again and I booked flights at this time last year with Monarch through Avro. I have come up with the same price as you, £259 and this is about £40 more than last year. I watched the Monarch prices for this year and if I now booked the same flight for September it would be about £300 each

I do like the times on the Monarch flights, 6.30 am departure and 12.45pm departure from Corfu. The Easyjet flights are cheaper but the flight times are not as practical. If I flew with Easyjet this September it would have to be from Bristol which would incur travel costs and  the cost would be about £280 each. I know that if I had booked the Easyjet flights months ago they would be much cheaper.

The downside on this would be the return time at 21.45 pm. I really dislike having to wait nearly all day for a flight home, but this depends on your accommodation. In a villa like Eileens you could treat the departure day as a normal day, but if you were in a hotel and hade to vacate your room by say 11.00am, you would have a long wait without the comfort of your room.

I, would always pay extra to go with Monarch, because the flight is an important part of the holiday and we even pay extra for more leg room to give is more comfort.  I  think it depends on how many times you go to Arillas in a year, and that would make a big difference in wanting to get the cheapest flights. You pay your pennies and take your pick I suppose.

Offline Steph ~

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »
Hi Terry, thanks for the advice. Unfortuantely, we only go to Arillas once a year so we always have booked early (to make sure we get the time off work and the accommodation) and we do always go forthe extra legroom seats as hubby is 6'4"!

While I'm sure that Roula at Kaloudis would be flexible on checkout times (as we have kept our room until 5pm when in her accomodation through Thomson) the times of those Monarch flights are just perfect.  Plus, there is a flight to Manchester for my dad around the same time - I won't be abandoning my dad in Corfu airport!

Would you book with Arvo or through a broker?  Flightline have the same flight slightly cheaper. I suppose if you book direct with Arvo it's easier to sort the extra legroom?

Offline Anne

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »
Just to let you Know I have booked our flights for next May today! When I looked on Sunday they were £200 and today they were £226 - - so I thought I better get in quick before they go up any more - these prices include luggage. I am so looking forward to coming to Arillas in 2010. 2009 is the first year we have missed out since we started coming to Arillas. Looking forward to seeing all the 'old' faces and some new ones too. Take care everyone, Regards Anne.
We were in Arillas for 2 whole months and going again for 2 weeks :-)

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
yes...I would say Book asap

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »
Have just booked flight from Man for May 14th - 24th nice daytime flight leave here 0620 and come back 24th at 1350 cost £240 including 20k luggage each. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 06:00:33 PM »
Should catch you then Viv  we fly from Manchester  7th  May   til   28th....

Offline Anne

• Retired and loving it!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
We will be there from 7th to 21st - so I hope we get to meet you xxx

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »
Great, Viv! We'll see you for a bit longer than originally thought, won't we??

We're flying from Manchester on 17th May, returning on 31st, so will meet Kes and also Anne (and partners of course!) there.   Missed meeting you this year, Kes, but I'm sure Viv will introduce us!

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 07:46:19 AM »
 I think your right there Janice couldn,t not. I think Barry ans Kes would get on (same funny sence of humour) and Im sure you will like Kath. Looking forward to meeting Anne & Phil and friends old and new. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Anne

• Retired and loving it!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
So do you all think we should have a meal together while we are there and then the ones who know each other can introduce the ones that dont! Looks like we will all be there on 18th and 19th so what do you all think about a meal at say Portofino or Dimitri's on either of those dates. This is for Kes and Kath (I know you will be up for it), Viv and Janice and partners. Let me know what you think. Am so looking forward to next May. Anne xxx

Booking.com