Author Topic: Holiday insurance and swine flu.  (Read 9187 times)

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Holiday insurance and swine flu.
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:23:53 PM »
I was watching the news yesterday and there was an item talking about swine flu and the fact that people who are showing symptoms of swine flu may be refused entry onto a plane and so lose there holiday. I checked with my annual travel insurance and I was informed that I have no cancellation cover. I have just paid £25 so that if I or any of my family do contract the swine flu, then although I'd be gutted at missing out on my holiday at least I'd be able to be reimbursed. Apparently if we become ill, we have to be diagnosed prior to the holiday and not to attend the aiport. If you do turn up at the airport unwell then you may be turned away and won't receive any compensation. Hopefully this may help.

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Holiday insurance and swine flu.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:16:29 PM »
Thanks for that Mick, it was really interesting but its all getting very complicated. Its all a big cock up, just because we may have a runny nose and  a cough doesn't mean we have swine flu. Or do people get swabbed at the airport? If so, if I do get a runny nose and a cough and I don't know if its swine flu, maybe an airport would be the quickest place to get checked out. I have hay fever as well. What a mess!!!!!

What would happen if you caught swine flu in Arillas and was not allowed on the plane to come home?

How awful to have to spend a few more days in Arillas with a bit of a cold and a sore throat!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots more info here ......

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/swine-flu-travel-advice

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »
The main indicator that the airlines are looking for is high temperature. Aa a nurse we are inundated with information regarding swine flu. Basically if you have a high temperature, aching joints, sore throat, cough, runny nose, then you have the symptoms of swine flu. I'm told that if you have it then the last thing you want to do is travel. If people do think that they have it, they should get a letter from their G.P stating that they have it and are not to try to travel, that is how you will get a refund. If you try to travel and get turned away, you have lost your money. First of all I booked with XL, now I'm a Nurse working in the city with the highest diagnosed cases of swine flu. I wonder if I'm destined to get my holiday this year.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »
I hope it works out MickG.

And Terry, I was thinking the same when someone talked about it on our second to last day. We were told they might close the airports, leaving us stranded in heaven. You all know I was praying for that to happen....

Phil

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »
what if i were to get one of my "hot flushes" as i was about to board the plane ha ha!!!
ger x

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 12:58:10 AM »
If you have full blown flu you wouldn't want to get out of bed and go to the airport anyway. Most cases of swine flu are really mild. The best way to catch it is probably to sit on a plane for 3 1/2 hours in recycled stale air!
We'll all be in Arillas in the 44 degree heat thinking we have heat exhaustion and it will really be swine flu!

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:22 AM »
They are taking pictures of you as you enter Corfu Airport
with cameras that show if you have a temprature.

I had a big smile on my face as I walked past
I always smile at a camera...lol

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 01:19:56 AM »
I just pray I contract swine flu while in Arillas then......
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
Sandy meluvver I so understand.... but you know so already

Offline isobel

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
swine flu is now hitting fast but will get worse in september i would advice any of you lucky people travelling to arillas to take paracetamol and lemsip with you just in case you are unfortunate enough to catch it on holiday

Offline 4x4

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 02:05:27 AM »
Unfortunately the only way to treat swine flu, is to kill you: 
then cure you .
I love bacon

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »
The sooner the BMA and Insurance companies get some realistic guidance and consistency sorted out the better.  Reading those Moneyexpert web-pages and its Forum illustrate the incredible confusions and scenarios.

The Government is reporting  that last week  there were an estimated 100,000 new cases in UK. I think it is probably multiples of that because many cases go undiagnosed. My son's girl friend, Elaine, was diagnosed with it 2 weeks ago but was only tested because she stressed she was an asthma sufferer, otherwise the Swine Flu helpline's policy was stay at home and take paracetamol !  So how many don't get tested?
Within 3 days my son was ill and so were my wife and myself all having been in close contact. Luckily none of us developed into anything bad. I haven't had a bad cold or virus for several years so the chances are that we all caught it .
I am hoping so as we might now have some immunity. My guess is that the virus is not very debilitating for most people compared with other 'flu' but it seems to be much more 'infectious'.  How many people did Elaine unwittingly infect in the incubating period?

With so many infected people around, plus those incubating it, no airline or border rules are going to prevent it spreading.

There is no doubt it will cause chaos this autumn and winter with people's holiday plans, and I don't mean the illness itself I mean the rules and the insurance nightmares.  I fear the owners of holiday rental accommodation and hotels will see some very empty booking lists until the worst is over and the panic stops.

Dennis

Offline isobel

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 10:55:42 AM »
just to say since my last post 3 members of my family are in bed with swine flu of course confirmed by telephone so im just praying i dont get it

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »
Checked my holiday insurance and we have cancellation insurance. Also checked with the provider and they state if we have doctor's evidence then there will not be a problem. Unfortunately we won't be able to see the doctor until we are better. Therefore it is important to contact the Swine Flu helpline to get your name registered for the doctor to see later.

Isobel it is illegal to take paracetomol or any other medicine containing the same into Greece. Don't know why this is.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
I flew through Newcastle Amsterdam and Hannover last week both ways on business. Apart from two silly girls wearing masks in Germany (offer little or no protection at all) there was no fuss, questions, signage or even funny looks from the guys at the metal detectors at any of the six airports and Amsterdam is one of the 3 busiest in Europe.

I know holidays are different to business regarding loss of holiday costs, but is it any different to any year with people travelling, Sars, seasonal flu etc? Remember in 1999 almost 20,000 people died in the UK from bog standard flu, was it reported in the news...well yes now ten years later, or were we banned from flying? No.

Booking.com