Author Topic: Somewhere to express your disappointment.  (Read 37875 times)

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Somewhere to express your disappointment.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »
May the word negative was wrong, my wife family were unhappy that there was no real tourists attractions, no English themed bars, no water parks and the appartments are basic with no airconditioning. These are all things that I see as a positive. These are things that make me come back again and again to arrilas. People come to Arillas expecting it to be just like any other holiday resort. It isn't. It's small, quiet and an extremely relaxing place to come to, to relax. Some people don't like what Arillas has to offer. My sister in law thought that Arillas was nice but thought that there must be more to do there, as we come every year. I feel that what I meant to say that if people are disappointed by Arillas because it doesn't offer the amenities of the larger resorts then wouldn't this be an oppotunity for people to advise others that you really wouldn't want to come here if you're planning a roudy stag party, but more of a chilled out break.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 11:02:49 AM »
Arillas isn't perfect, the forum isn't perfect but somehow I fight to keep both as they are now.

I also have a disappointment. We couldn't spend enough time with any of the wonderful people we met in the last two weeks. I mean ANY.

Phil

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 11:34:30 AM »
I've been told that I'm a holiday snob. I like Arillas as it is, I don't find the image of an English man in a mankini, funny. It was funny when Borat did it but not when a drunken English man does. I just wanted the kavos brigade to know that this isn't the type of place for them. Whether or not my wife's family are members of the Kavos brigade? Well I'd hate to state an opinion for fear of getting into trouble. ;-)

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 11:37:15 AM »
Mick i think Sidari would suit them.  It has all you mention.  English themed bars, just the thought makes me shudder, ;).

Sharon x

Nan

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 12:21:01 PM »
I think Riggers makes a good point. If you can live with the stuff you don't appreciate everything's fine. Nightime music noise seems to be an issue for some. If you can turn over and go back to sleep it's ok but if you lie there fuming and sleepless it ruins your stay.

I'm sure the owners of the studios and hotels want to provide what people want on holiday as well as making a living for themselves but wouldn't it be better to employ some commonsense and quieten the music after midnight.? I'm sure people who are in the bars enjoying themselves wouldn't notice if it was turned down a couple of notches.

Personally I think Arillas is on some ancient lay line and that's why so many people find happiness and contentment there. Is that too "hippy" what do you think Phil?

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
Nan, I don't think that it's too hippyish. There is something about Arillas that is truely magical. I don't know whether it's lay lines or what but whatever it is I like it.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »
There must be something Nan luvver. There are hundreds of us who put up with the downsides and go back year after year, or even two or three times a year. Like riggers said, we (Jen and me I mean) get so much out of our time there we don't really notice.

An example - I got bitten by a dog half an hour after arriving needing 7 stitches. I then burned the other arm on a candle holder next day, but neither stopped me enjoying the two weeks. In Spain I would have flown home.

It may be ley lines, I don't know. Haven't seen the crop circles yet either.... But what we did see was an absolute army of smiling happy people during our stay.

Phil

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
Peace and tranquility are our two most favourite words. That is why we will be visiting Arillas for the first time in September. Having spent much time exploring this website I'm sure that neither Jan nor myself will be disappointed
Incidentally Mythos, lamb chops, souvlaki, stifado, saganaki, sousouzakia are also favourite words of ours along with any type of Greek food you can think of.

One of our favourite pastimes is to sit and have a cuppa in the afternoon and just sit and watch the world go by. We usually find such a spot in every resort we have been two throughout the islands. Any likely candidates in Arillas.

Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »
hi rothers, youre going to the right place! you could try ammos, beautiful surroundings, watch the world wander by, or gratziellas and watch the sea lapping the beach, or horizon and view both, or you could walk up to the new place gravia and admire the amazing view...........the list is endless,  you could try a different one every afternoon! ENJOY!!!
ger x

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »
The small balcony at Horizon is probably the best place to watch the world go by from but it can get busy. Failing that I'd go for either Arillas Bay, Gratziella or Mirage.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »
Thalassa on the front is also a great place to chill and watch the world go by.  We love to have a nice lunch there and then sit in the deckchairs at the front.  Got to be careful not to nod off and be on full view, with your mouth open. :)

Sharon x

Offline Quack John

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »
Claire and I love Arillas just as it is, that's why we're returning for our second visit at the end of August. The fact that it's not touristy or full of 'English Pubs' and replays of Coronation Street every half hour suits us just fine! If you want all that then Sidari is the place to be!

Just being able to wander around and take in the atmosphere, talk to the fantastic people, chill out on the beach and enjoy the odd Mythos or two is what is drawing us back. We love the beach, the food, the people, the weather, the sunsets..........

Our accommodation last year wasn't the best ever, and there were some reports of trouble with break-ins reported in that particular set of apartments prior to our arrival (which we found out via this website and were glad to be 'forewarned') but we found Arillas to be our perfect place for a holiday and in just over four weeks time we're looking forward to sampling it all again!

Arillas may not be everyone's cup of tea.......but it certainly is ours.

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 04:10:39 PM »
You are spoiling us now. looked at the locations on the map. They all sound the sort of place that would do nicely.

A place Jan and me both love is Pefkos on Rhodes. A little larger than Arillas and probably just that little brasher. We have booked to back next May for our 4th time. Pefkos is like going home to us and we are welcommed so warmly by our Greek friends. Even the same Brits turn up year after year. Gets to be a bit of a reunion at times.

Who knows we may end up loving Arillas just as much.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 05:25:47 PM »
theres no doubt about that rothers!
my husband will not go anywhere else now! to us arillas is like coming home, we have just had our 4th visit, and everyonegreats you like an old friend, once bitten..............(preferably not by the mozzies though!)
ger x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »
Rothers.... It is Arillas that will spoil you.

Pefkos is like going home to us and we are welcomed so warmly by our Greek friends. Even the same Brits turn up year after year. Gets to be a bit of a reunion at times.

We all know exactly what you mean. Except we would replace one word....

To add to the replies, we often sit in Graziella (the outside part) in the early afternoon right at the edge overlooking the beach. We have mezes and red wine and spend hours waiting for Gravia to move.

Or we sit reading the Corfu News in Thalassa, in a soft armchair, with frappe, Mythos or whatever we want.

You will find exactly what you want.
Phil

Booking.com