Author Topic: Filoxenia  (Read 2124 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Filoxenia
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »
At lunchtime today, I  was in the chatroom and a new member typed the following.

Dimitris is the very essense and spirit of true Filoxenia. Its a practice which for a few of my fellow greeks now comes with a price tag - I have to blame parts of tourism for that .But with Dimitris and indeed so many others on the island including Arillas, filoxenia remaisn as alive and well as iot did thousands of years ago  - so to Dimitris ... Yamas kai chronia pola.

I had never heard of the word Filoxenia, and as the writer had included it in a heartfelt statement about Dimitris and Arillas, I needed to find out what it meant.

This is what I found......

Filoxenia and attitudes towards tourist hospitality

'Filoxenia' ("friend to foreigners"), is an important point of pride for Greeks, and is something rooted in ancient times and in mythology. In the latter, Zeus was said to have disguised himself as a poor man, dressing himself in rags, so that he could visit the homes of Greeks and see how they treated strangers, revealing himself at a certain point as the god he really was, the point of the story being that it's a good idea to treat strangers/foreigners well, because they could turn out to be gods.

The Greek word 'xenos/ xeni' (masculine/ feminine) means 'foreigner' or 'stranger'; making filoxenia/hospitality 'love or friendliness for the foreigner/stranger', who is, in turn, the guest (filoxenoumenos).

In villages, it is not uncommon for villagers to show up at the door of a resident foreigner (or even a temporary visitor renting a room) with a sack full of fresh tomatoes, or even a bottle of local olive oil.

Also

Filoxenia: Filoxenia was instituted as the highest principle as early as antiquity, and it was placed under the protection of Zeus. The sacredness of the institution of filoxenia consisted of a primary step towards the socialization of man and the creation of the first community. It is of prime importance to this very day, to the lives and relationships of the Greek people.

That one word, Filoxenia, confirms what many of us feel about Dimitris and all the other people who live and work in Arillas.

TerryW

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Filoxenia
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »
That Filoxenia is what struck us the moment we arrived in Arillas in 2002. I said  "I've died and gone to heaven." We were amazed at the way the local people welcomed us. Forget about the artificial and smiley "customer service" of the tour reps. The local people were much more affectionate. It was real, and we were not used to it, coming from where we do near the East End of London.

I have always said at length that it is the people of Arillas who make it what it is. And you have added more evidence to my argument with your post, Terry. They have learned to be like that since ancient times apparently, and it is part of their culture. I welcome that, along with all of you.

Dimitris is the very essense and spirit of true Filoxenia.

Nobody on the forum would disagree with that one. But don't forget all the others we know as well. All the Greek people we spend our time with when we spend our few weeks in Arillas confirm what you have posted. Filoxenia is in their hearts too. And the Arillas Addict population share that with them. We are like them. Perhaps it is what makes me one.

Thanks for posting such an interesting and thought provoking post Terry.
Phil

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 11:06:06 PM »
yammas terry..very interesting..phil us eastenders hey..

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »
understood kevin

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »
Terry, thanks for information and as Phil said but not in these same words 'this is what we come to Arillas for and will continue coming for as long as we are able'.
3 cheers for Arillas, and we can include all the ex-pats (and you know who) as they must have felt the same. Love to all, Mick.

Booking.com