Author Topic: Norton security  (Read 16306 times)

Offline Chris & Mark's mum

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: Norton security
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 12:54:38 AM »
For lots of freebies and help go to www.majorgeeks.com. (Free anti virus, spyware, firewalls etc)....You name it Major Geeks has it!

There's also a user forum and most of the members are like TerryW!  Any computer problems and they can help you out.  You get an answer to your problems within minutes! Er.........I use it all the time........
We are the people that my parent's warned me about........

riggers

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
I have now uninstalled what was left of Norton and downloaded Avast antivirous. I have 14 months absolutely free.  :)
I am finding it a lot quicker than Norton too. (fingers crossed) it will stay that way.

Thanks for the reccomends.......

riggers....

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
I got rid of Norton with great relief several years ago in favour of free AVG and free Zonealarm, which I still use.
For the last 2 years I switched to the paid version of AVG for the added advantage of an easy-to-contact support team.

That is one disadvantage with freebies... no support!

AVG have been very quick to respond with advice whenever needed.

Dennis

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »
Norton is a pain in the ass...!!!  be careful if you try removing norton from your pc...add remove progs in control panel does not clean out norton completely..also don`t just delete the folder...there is a free removel tool on the norton website..

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
select the version from the list ...

Avg is probably the best of the free versions ..also they now do a full security suite..

http://www.avg.com/

riggers

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »
Now you got we worried Kes ???  I hope i have got rid of Norton, although symantec is still there.

riggers.........

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »
riggers ...d/load the removal, tool and run it ...wont do any harm....

on another point   Windows Xp has its own firewall so Zone alarm is not realy required...
BTW i am a resller for Avg so anyone interested in buying the full version PM

riggers

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 09:49:11 PM »
Cheers Kes.

I have windows XP , so you have put my mind at rest with firewall. I was wondering about that.

riggers........

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »
The Windows Firewall is limited in effect and only blocks unwanted incoming traffic.

The seperate Firewalls such as  Zonealarm are  2-way and also block the important unwanted outgoing traffic, so that is why they are recommended. So if a Trojan does get through your anti-virus protection the firewall should prevent it from reporting back to base etc. The latest viruses are very advanced and new ones are ahead of the AV  companies.

Whatever is chosen it is important to keep it up-to-date as well as keeping Windows and your browser up-to-date.
 A useful web-site for news is http:windowssecrets.com which may be a bit technical and scary for some people, including me, but it does stop me becoming complacent.

Dennis

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:41 PM »
Thats correct  Windows XP firewall doesn`t stops outgoing traffic ,but the firewall shipped with Vista does...

riggers

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 12:12:01 AM »
Hmmm to technical for me, but i hope i am safe .....................

riggers.....................

Offline Baldy Barry

• Forum Fanatic
    • myspace.com
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 01:21:53 AM »
Couple of years ago I wanted rid of Norton and had a right carry on getting it out.
A tecchie friend came round and used that removal tool to clear it off.
Also when I bought the computer it had an internet server in it that I didn't want.
That was a sod to get rid of too.
Hope I don't burn !

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 10:48:52 AM »
Thats correct  Windows XP firewall doesn`t stops outgoing traffic ,but the firewall shipped with Vista does...

Kes

WARNING. I believe that the Windows Vista firewall default settings give no protection as the  Outbound setting is 'ALLOW' rather than 'Block' so have to be changed manually. It looks straightforward but apparently has to be done carefully or it blocks everything.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39265528,00.htm
http://www.vista-xp.co.uk/forums/windows-vista/16916-vista-firewall.html

Firewalls are a necessity, but an absolute pain.

Dennis

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
Firewalls,, be it Microsoft or the free versions ..are ok for normal use and for those of us that don`t roam around dodgy websites  or use limewire Bear share etc..
If it gets to the point were its causing sleepless nights   look in the router(if you are using one) they have a built in Hardware Firewall that is far more secure than the ones above...easily enabled at the click of a switch..but if you are using Outlook express for your e mail client...then you will have to alter a couple of settings to allow you e mail to function..

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »
I believe router (hardware) firewalls only 'hide' your computer from the Internet so making it invisible to hackers and automated port scans, but again most routers only offer 'inbound' protection. 
Experts on security forums seem to recommend users with routers to have both a  router firewall AND a personal software  2-way firewall for more complete protection (as  well as a good AV programme of course). That is my set-up.

Some of the latest trojan-type viruses are getting through Anti-Virus filters from compromised web-sites and only a 2-way firewall can prevent them reporting back or whatever they are programmed to do.
One problem is that these days we don't always know what are 'dodgy sites'.  In addition we all use Google etc to search for information which takes up to unknown sites.
http://www.itpro.co.uk/609607/malware-found-on-70-of-top-100-sites-says-report

I may be more security conscious than many people as my computer contains a lot of my 'work'. In my eyes 'prevention is better than cure'.

Dennis

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »
norton nightmare! we had it for a year with no problems then we updated, we ended up with all sorts of virus, then when we went to technical support they said we had to pay another £180 for them to get rid of the trojans and whatever else came in with the update, we complained, but had to pay, then they couldnt even get rid of it, ended up getting trading standards involved who managed to get our money back including the cost of the upgrade, then we had to get someone to sort out all the problems it had caused! so at the moment our computer at home has no security, but i do everything on the one at work which has brilliant security!! (nod32)
ger x

Booking.com