Author Topic: compensation for flight delays.  (Read 10601 times)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
compensation for flight delays.
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »
Just found this in TTG News. Viv
Airlines must pay out for 'delayed' flights
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Rupert Murray

Airlines will no longer be able to avoid paying compensation to delayed passengers on the basis of technical problems.
A ruling by European judges closes a loophole which allowed airlines to claim a fault with an aircraft was outside their control.
The ruling could cost them millions of pounds and leave only extraordinary events, such as terrorism and sabotage, as reasons not to pay compensation.
The ruling came after an Austrian family took legal action after their Alitalia flight in 2005 was cancelled minutes before take-off.
Judges hearing the case in the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg said: “Technical problems which come to light during maintenance of an aircraft or on account of failure to carry out such maintenance do not constitute, in themselves, extraordinary cirumstances.”
Passengers can receive between £264 and £564 in compensation at the moment, depending on the length of flight.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Re: compensation for flight delays.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:45:09 AM »
Good news then :)
Life is good ;)

Nan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »
Wish that has been the case a couple of years ago Viv. We were delayed 23 hours on our way to Turkey. We had the announcement to board at the gate, a few people had actually gone down the corridor to the plane and they were sent back! Technical problems meant the plane could not take off.  We were then told it would be a few hours till we flew out.  Eventually after 7 hours we were taken to the Britania Hotel in Stockport and had 5 hours sleep before heading back to the airport for an early morning flight. HA we took off at 2 45 pm!!  We claimed some money on our insurance but it was only about £90. You win some, you lose some.didn't put us off anyway !!!!! 

Offline Chris & Mark's mum

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »
We were delayed 18 hours last Friday and according to my insurance company we are only entitled to £20 each. 

The plane was diverted as it couldn't land in Corfu on Friday due to the bad storms and the pilot couldn't fly us back to Leeds/Bradford as the delay took him over his maximum hours he was allowed to work.  We were put up in a hotel for the night and fed an evening meal (Remind me NEVER to stay at Mesongi Beach resort!!!!!!!!!)

So this can't be in force yet as the Thompson's rep told me there would be no compensation from them as they had supplied us with hotel rooms and an evening meal.

Anyone any ideas on how to try and get any compensation?

Kind regards
Victor & Margaret

We are the people that my parent's warned me about........

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
Well we were delayed about 20 hours last year.Should have got 125 quid in total but as per usual insurance company (atlas direct) wriggles out of it cos we had no letter from airline. Xl.makes my blood boil. Any insurance claim is the same. Would be different if it was us that missed a payment eh.

Offline 4x4

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:52:57 AM »
No they will find other ways to force you to pay through the nose. 

We arrived at the airport ( Gatwick) and had our luggage weighed. ( Now we had used a crude device at home and had been satisfied we where under the limit )  So when we where told that both our cases where 1Kg over the limit. We where surprised.
As a result they insisted on weighing our hand luggage.
The result was a extra £40 charge.

On arrival we noticed the numerous cases bearing the  “Heavy” tags.

So we jettisoned books towels and numerous other items for the return  journey.

At the check in we where about 4 Kg light on each case. When we got home I  used my scales to re weigh the bags.

We should have been well under weight on the outward journey.

Investigation on the web suggests that a un proportionate number of check in weighing is incorrect. So we was had by Thompson.  (IMO)

Buyer beware. Get you luggage weighed before you travel and kick A*** if they try to scam you.

Surprisingly enough, you can buy as much “Weight” as you like, to take on the plane after you have checked in!

Offline GaryS

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
They are all the same, Thomson and Thomas Cook. They Scr#w you at every opertunity these days, but don't get me started on weight. Last year we coming back and having spent a day hiring a small boat and visiting lots of lovely little beaches from Arillas down to Palio, collecting some beautiful pebbles on the way. As Thomas Cook are right buggers on weight, 15KG we decided to put the pebbles in our hand luggage. As we went through security at Corfu some jumped up little Hitler type took our pebbles and threw them in the bin. It seems they were a security risk as we could knock out the crew by throwing them on the plane. As I was being told this I pointed to a stack of 1 litre glass vodka bottles beyond security waiting to be bought and taken onto the very same planes. It seems these are okay as they are creating revenue. I will have my pebbles in 2010, mark my words :-)

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 06:41:11 PM »
I collected pretty pebbles too, Gazcaz, but I sneaked them in Colin's suitcase when he wasn't watching!

Funnily enough, I considered taking them as hand luggage, but was imagining a scene just as you have described.

I wasn't being paranoid then...............

lynn xx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
On the other hand Gazcaz, surely nobody would waste good vodka by smashing a litre bottle in order to attack someone.....
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 08:51:54 PM »
I'm with you on that one Sandy...O

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 08:56:16 PM »
us two too - what a waste!

Offline 4x4

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
Yes

At least drink the Vodka first.

Then try and throw the bottle, if you can find it.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »
Glad to see you all have your priorities right!!  ;)

lynn xx

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 12:07:23 AM »
Going off thread a bit, a few years back I managed to wangle a long weekend in 'Magamuff' with the girlies and was frantically searching for pressies for the kids on the last day. Bearing in mind I only took hand luggage (so minimal hassle), blonde bimbo here decided a man United baseball bat would be a good pressie for chav boy son.  needless to say the spanish police were none-too-keen on a weapon of mass destruction in the cockpit so even though I had no checked in baggage I still had to wait for that damn baseball bat on the carousel.  then after waiting a lifetime for it ( why am I ALWAYS the last to get luggage)  Lewis looked at it with great disdain and remarked, man united, baseball bat ??! Why?! kids eh, love em dont ya..

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 12:29:32 AM »
Sorry, Jo, had to chuckle at that story!  That is just so typical of kids, ain't it the truth!!

Booking.com