Author Topic: how much financially forum members would contribute as a total to the Arillas economy.  (Read 10348 times)

Offline Paul D

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Hi,everyone.  Next year, we`ve gone for a  package deal with Thomson. Cost of holiday is £635 for the both of us. Admittedly we are flying from Gatwick- only because our preferred choices of Cardiff or Bristol were too expensive. To go from Bristol, Thomson required an additional £200 EACH. 
    So even tho going from Gatwick(at the expense of getting there), we are saving money.  That`s even allowing for night in hotel with parking.  The spare cash we have will no doubtedly be spent on the locals.
   I think this price is pretty good-- but how do they justify so much extra to go from a regional airport?
   Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Hi Paul d and blondegirl,
I have also wondered why the excessive surcharge on 'local' airports. I have also found a 'double whammy' as far as I am concerned. A large charge for the local airport and another for a 'single' booking. A lot of tour operators are reluctant to book singles. Their websites come up with nothing available for these dates all through the season! When you find one that will book you, it's usually a few notes short of a package for two. If you ask for a 2 sharing there's always room. Its a total rip off. Thats why initially I started to go independant. Then I realised how much the hotellier got from the package deal and would now like to make sure they get all the cash!
I think the landing charges at local airports are set by the area's local authority. I know that Cardiff is one of the most expensive in the U.K. hence the fees are passed onto the customer. There have been a lot of commings and goings of various companies from Cardiff because of this, perhaps someone in the know can explain how the charges work to the rest of us!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
Martin/Paul, at last some more peeps who agree that Cardiff is an expensive airport, however we all have to pay that little bit extra for convenience and thats something we dont mind, long car journeys are a no no for us now and have been for a few years.
Dont mind Birmingham airport, if we get an early flight as I do that journey a cpl of days a week  and hubby  can  have a snooze on the way up but as I mentiond in another post we had to cancel our plans for september as the flights from Cardiff were too much and Birmingham  didnt have good flight times,that said we have every intention of getiing back again next year anytime from may to july or even aug...got to get our fix,15yrs and we only missed in 2001 and 2002.... oops sorry and 1998
Ang

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Hi,everyone.   I,too, wouldn`t mind going independent allowing our money to be spent on local hoteliers. But if I save on a package deal, then my contribution to Arillas will higher.   
     What is important is that we continue to support our `magical` place as much as we can. I for one will urge people who have not been to Arillas, to do so.  I`ve managed to convince friends of ours to try it and they will be travelling with us next year. More income for the locals should encourage them to continue trading in Arillas and not go anywhere else.
    Best Wishes   Paul D

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
Over the years we have taken 3 of our Daughters and our Grandson.  One Daughter feels that Arillas is more home than here now and has stayed and worked at Portofino in a previous season.  One Daughter now goes there with her own family and our Grandson won't entertain going any where else for a holiday. 
When we were over in September we were talking ot the owner of the Akti, he told us that the tour operator only pays him 6 Euro per night bed and breakfast per tourists, that is shocking!
Jill XXX

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
I am not suprised Jill. Have heard similar stories from others. It is why I always rant on about it. I know that some owners want the added security of a Tour Operator and that is just fine. But 6 euros??? It's a disgrace.

BTW thanks again for the pictures. Have posted them in our month report and lots of good replies about them.

Take care
love
Phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
6 euros is disgraceful... they have to pay all the staff out of that... how can they survive  -   it's ridiculous when you think of how much they charge for hotels or even self catering in the uk and you dont get the same service (or weather).
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
I was gobsmacked to say the least.  After all that work they have had done makes you wonder how they manage it.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
Hi all!
Dorita at the B.S. Hotel was getting €10 a day from Thomson when they were advertising the hotel in their 'Small and Friendly' brochure and for that she was expected to supply breakfast and maintain the place to a high standard. The crunch came when they told her to get the place 'modernised' to a stupid standard without any financial assistance. The family told Thomson 'where to go'. The have now managed to install air con, new security, fire alarm and sat. tv at their own pace and although it's been hard, they havn't got all the pressure of being the tour operator's 'puppet'.
I think this was a brave move on their part and I will continue to support them as much as I can. The hotel's standard, food, and facilities are great and nothing is too much trouble for Dorita and her family.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
I cant agree with you more Martin!  I would rather she had all the money than go to the TO.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
We stayed at the Akti in sept, 6 euros is disgusting, we are going for 10 days next year so we are booking direct with the Akti, am even more glad we are now.

Sharon x

Marymary

I didn’t realise the tour operators paid the accommodation owners so little, how on earth can they dictate the cost? I think it would be a good idea if all the owners of the apartments and hotels could get together and form their own sort of package, where us who love Arillas, could book a sort of package with them, like and independent package. But even people who come on a package, like I will be in my August- Sept , but hope to come in May , independent, as there does seem to be more flights from my local (ish) airport at that time of the season I still buy everything in local shops etc so still contribute.

No wonder the tour operators are loaded. If they want certain places modernising, then it is the tour operators that should pay for the work.

Love
Mary

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
Hi,everyone.   It seems that the independant/ package debate wil rumble on. To me, it doesn`t matter how we get there, as long as we do. Money will still be spent in the local economy hopefully encouraging those people that welcome us year in, year out, to return each year and continue to run their businesses.
  It seems we can`t do without them and they can`t do without us.
    Best Wishes  paul D

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
I would be interested to know how much the tour companies make on the flights as well. I bet they pay a fraction of the price we pay as individuals.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
I have been looking at the flights and no way would I pay the prices they are asking (two flights would come up almost as much as we paid for our whole 2 weeks, flights, accommodation and taxis)  so if EJ dont come up with flights next year we might well have to go package which is a shame as we loved it at BS Hotel - but if thats all we can afford thats what is going to have to be.  I cant believe the price some have already paid for flights.. unbelievably expensive.

Booking.com