Author Topic: how much financially forum members would contribute as a total to the Arillas economy.  (Read 10347 times)

Marymary

I know Sue
Sadly if the flight prices are still extortionate then a package will have to be the only option for me, or not come at all, which I wouldn't like

Take Care

Mary

Offline JohnJ

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
A previous  post suggested the need to get the next generation of Arillas holiday makers hooked and one oerson mentioned their children and grandchildren loving Arillas.  Well Ann and I have been coming for 15 years and many times twice in a year as in 2008.  We have also taken our two daughters.  Perhaps one incident demonstrates how even the younger set appreciate Arillas.  Our eldest daughter got married and went to Jamaica for her honeymoon,  Having previously gont to Arillas with us and with her husband, who was then her fiance, many times before. However they were only in Jamaica about three days when they phoned us in Arillas to say they hated Jamaica and were getting the first flight home and could we ask Jimmy at Rainbow if he could find them an apartment somwhere.  He promtly did so and got them in at the Arillas Inn apartments opposite Rainbow. They flewe from Jamaica to Gatwick spent 5 hours there and then flew on to Corfu and arrived on the Monday of our second week.  Leon from what was then the Arillas Inn  put a lovely bouquet of flowers in the appartment along with a starter pack of cereals, milk water beer, and a bottle of champagne.  What a welcome!! and they had a great week and still talk about it now.  Of course we had to let them have some time to themselves but still saw plenty of them , but were asked not to be on too many photographs with them!!!! I guess they did not want their friends to see muim and dad on honeymoon with them. Our youger daughtere also loves Arillas and is planning to bring her daughter out to arillas for the first time next May when she shall be 17 months old.  So one way or anothere we are doing our bit to support all our friends in Arillas and provide the next generations of holiday makers.
John & Ann
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline JohnJ

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Sorry about all the typos on my previous email but I was being rushed at work.  Or maybe I am becoming dyslexic in my old age/!!!!
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Lovely story JohnJ. Have often seen youngsters and teenies having a whale of a time in Arillas. It's a fallacy they all want Kavos or San Antonio in Ibiza or Negril in Jamaica. I think we all do our bit in our own way, icluding the youngsters.

Phil

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
Our 13 year old is already talking about '..when we build our villa in Arillas..' and 'will I be allowed to go on my own, with my friends?'.
I think Arillas will survive quite happily long after I'm gone!

Offline Rick1883

There's no getting away from the simple fact that Corfu, like anywhere else, is not cheap anymore.

We ate out less than ever this year and for a good reason: it costs a fortune.

For instance, we ate out at Horizon one night and quite apart from the fact that my meal was dreadful, it cost twice what you'd expect to pay back home in a Harvester. Yes, that's partly the exchange rate but it's also the rising price of eating out and doing just about anything else in Corfu.

Many people are waiting to see what happens before they book for 2009.  The global economic slowdown is beginning to bite deep and with the collapse of XL, flights cost more than ever.  Flight bookings are down to the lowest level since 2004.

I'd always prefer to go independent but at the moment the companies are holding back with their flight only deals until they have sold more of their packages.

It will be a grim year for tourism next year because things are about to get much, much worse.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Hi rick1883.

You have spelled out what really worries me. I have a vested interest in seeing Arillas survive the slowdown. Next year will see more closures and more angst. I just want to see it all in 2052. Selfish or what? I will be 100 then....

No it is not cheap any more. That said, I would pay the asking price or more to be there because it offers me more value for my euro than cheaper places in Spain ever could.

Have never eaten in Horizon, but just about everywhere else. Have had about two disappointing meals in Arillas out of hundreds. And I mean hundreds. I have the waistline to prove it (they tell me it's a beer gut...) but the food is a feature of Arillas. Try Roula's sofrito at Brouklis...

You have hit a nail on the head with this post - if we want Arillas to survive we have to contribute and SELL it. Jen and me will be back in 2009, hopefully for good. Just persuade your friends at work to come with us.

Phil

Booking.com