Author Topic: IT DOESN'T PAY TO GO INDEPENDENT  (Read 43163 times)

Offline Quack John

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: IT DOESN'T PAY TO GO INDEPENDENT
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »
Having done the package thing with Thomas Cook last year, we decided to take the advice of the majority and go independant this year.

Flights with Monarch from Gatwick are £180.00 return each, admittedly the flights are late night / very early morning, but that suits us.

We booked accommodation directly with Akis at Mathraki Studios, following recommendation on this forum, and at a really good price.

Taxi fares from / to the airport are 50 euro's each way, the same as we paid last year (having decided to arrange a taxi direct rather than wait for the bus transfer.....again after advice from this forum!)

All in all, we're happy with the arrangements and the cost.

Offline martin-w

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2009, 04:46:29 AM »
Hi John,
I usually do the 'independent' booking as traveling alone can be quite expensive with 'single' supplements if you go down the package tour route! The other consideration is that your host gets your money and not just the 'per person/day' payout by the travel company, which can be as low as €10/day!
 The flights from Gatwick seem to be quite cheap, but I personally hate the place, so prefer to travel from my local airport, Cardiff. In May the fare was £345, but it meant that I didn't have to endure the 6 hour bus ride to and from Gatwick at the cost of £80!
I'm back in Arillas in October and this time the fare is £210 all in, which isn't bad. I fly out at 0720hrs. arriving at 1235hrs. local time and return from Corfu at 1335hrs and get back to Cardiff at 1500hrs. so I'm home by 1600hrs.
Taxi fares vary but the firm Dorita at the Bardis Sun Hotel books for me was €45 in May each way, which can be halved if you can arrange a 'taxi share' with other members on the forum! On first name terms with the drivers now!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline isobel

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »
its a tough call but at the moment for arillas in october we are cheaper with a package than flight only

Offline Quack John

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
Good point Martin, we're happier with the money going straight to the host too.

You're right about Gatwick, not the nicest airport I've been to, but all-in-all it aint too bad, and for us we can be there in less than an hour (assuming the M25 is running OK!).

Taxi sharing is a great idea, but finding somebody at the airport at the same time as us may be difficult as we arrive a 2:00 a.m!!

Who do you fly with from Cardiff?

I guess there's pro's & con's both ways with going independant or package, it all comes down to the deal you can get and personal preference but, for us, we're looking forward to our first independant holiday in Arillas and our first stay at the Mathraki.

Five weeks to Mythos!! :)

Yammas!

John

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2009, 06:52:12 PM »
Hi John,
I've had many a long chat with the hoteliers in Arillas about the way they are treated by the 'tour operators', that's why a lot of them have now opted for independent booking. I find that I can get a room at 'normal' rates and avoid the 'single supplement' ripoff!
I usually travel with Thomsonfly, you can book online or via one of their shops. They provide an excellent service and the cabin staff are great.
Taxi sharing can be sorted if you put a request on the forum. It's surprising how many folk arrive at or near the same time as you.
Hope you enjoy your stay at Mathraki, I'm sure you will!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »
Dennis and Martin-w I agree with you. We got a last minute package to Kaloudis for silly money in 2007, had we booked it earlier it was nearly three times the price. We also try to do independent and try to share ourselves around as many of the locals we can support. But sometimes you have to take what is on offer. There seems to be no rule you can follow.

Phil

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »
We have enjoyed "going independent" for the last couple of years but when we tried to book in October 08 for September 09 there was a £400 difference between independent and package so package won. But then again that is £400 more that we can spend in Arillas so local business will still benefit.

Booking.com