Author Topic: IT DOESN'T PAY TO GO INDEPENDENT  (Read 43195 times)

Offline huge*abba*fan

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
IT DOESN'T PAY TO GO INDEPENDENT
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »
After XL going bust and the way the travel market is at the moment, it does not pay to go independent anymore.
I still wouldn't even if it worked out cheaper.
It would be far better going through a travel agent who are ABTA bonded, even just to book a flight.  Its not worth taking a risk, even just to save a few pennies.
I am off to Arillas next month and can't wait!!

Lisa

Offline jersey steve

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
Re: IT DOESN'T PAY TO GO INDEPENDENT
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:59:33 PM »
Thats all ok if you go for 2 weeks, but if you want 3 or more you don't have a choice.

2 WEEKS ISN'T LONG ENOUGH!

Sreve
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »
I have just compared flight only with package on TC for next year, and in some cases the flight alone is more expensive than a package...
Travel agent or on line bookings have same protection so long as the companies are Abta..also not all accomodation is covered by the the major travel companies ..so all depends were you want to stay,and as Steve says if you want to stay for 3 weeks or longer then flight only is the only realistic option...Maybe Easyjet will take up the spare slots now vacated by XL and make more flights to Corfu available from Airports other than gatwick? that would give us a few more options...
Please Stelios  start some flights  from Manchester......
Anyone know his address? we could write to him....

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:00:03 AM »
My first priority of going independent is that I get to go where I want and the times that I want. Yes, it can be more expensive at times but like I said, I get to go and travel when it suits me and no more 4 am arrivals and departures, and long transfer times :)

So yep, credit crunch or not, independent is the way for me and my friends ;)
Life is good ;)

Offline huge*abba*fan

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:15:06 AM »
Well, like I said, I would not risk it, it just isn't worth it.  I suppose its down to the individual choice at the end of the day.

Lisa

Offline Ivan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »
I agree, it doesn't pay to go independent. There again I don't go on holiday to save money. What it does do, however, is, as EEG says, is let me go where, when and for how long I want. It also means that when I pay for my accomadation I am putting my hard-earned into the pockets of my hosts and not into a tour companies profits. Having said that, the security of a package is right for some people.
            The really important thing is that everyone gets the holiday that is right for them,
             Ivan

Offline kevin.g

• ARILLIAC
  • Kevin and julie
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
each to there own i love to go indie.............yammas

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »
Yeah, fantastic going on a package! No indemnity like a scheduled flight for delay so carte blanche for the operator to ship you out for 3 am arrival after being messed about in Gatwick for 12 hours while they clear the days backlog.

Then a 2-3 hour transfer all round the Island on a vomit inducing coachtrip in a clammy bus full of clammier Chavs going to Sidari and Roda, howling kids so tired they cant sleep.

Then look forward to the morning wake up call of reps pushing tours down your throat. "Hia Im Suzi! The kumquat factory is fab."

Yes you will end up in Arillas.

Want any more than a basic hotel room though and you are in trouble.

I want to chose when and how I go and have the space, comfort and privacy that I can only get from independant accomodation. I want the security of knowing my family is in safe surroundings near the pool not hidden by a throng of other people.

Booking a villa through James etc means spending at least double what booking independantly costs.

However, I do understand that it depends what you expect from a Holiday and obviously how you value that precious 2 weeks a year with your family and the level of relaxation and comfort you want to spend it in.

Sorry if this sounds snobby or offends any tartan baseball cap wearers.

(Who am I kidding, no I'm not)

Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:11:56 AM »
Hi All,

This year is my first attempt at booking independent for next year.

6 years of package with no problems [ why the change ]

Because you can travel when you want to, and stay where you want to on the dates you want to.

7 days 10 days 14 days [Package no problem]

Independent you can have 6 days 9 days 13 days 17 days, its your choice.

So I booked the the flights and then matched the accomadation [ Perfect ]

THEN XL WENT BUST

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 08:32:34 AM »
Sorry John, genuinely.

You didnt take cancellation insurance or pay on your credit card?

Regards
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
We like going independent where ever we go,for flights and we like to choose our own accommodation,but I'm afraid that my plans to pop back over to Arillas before the season ends have been blown out of the water because of the increase in flight prices  over the last week and I dont belive that paying almost £1000 for 2 return flights to Corfu is really value for money.
Book well in advance I here some of you cry,not possible as I work in intrim management so its not easy to plan ahead.
I shall miss my second fix this year boo hoo but at least the forum keeps me going.
Ang

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
Always gone package and had some very good deals indeed week in Halkadiki apartment right on the beach £69.00 last minute one.Other than the last minute stuff have always gone with a tour company and it suited us.However next year we have gone independant and this is just down to us getting what we want.Fly from Exeter stay at Bardis sun.It has cost us about£200 more but i just dont fancy travelling upto Bristol and Going Places dont do Arillas its there plane we will be on.
You pays your money and you takes your chance as the saying goes.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »
Opps its First Choice airways we will be on not going places,good job its not next May god knows where we would have ended up.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline huge*abba*fan

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 01:04:32 PM »
I suppose I have always booked a package and with the same Tour Operator because I have never had any problems with them and you are not restricted with them.  You have a flight & accommodation booked and yes, there can be delays like there would be even when you go independent.  The rooms may not be brilliant and yes, you can ask to be moved.  A holiday booked with a travel agent/tour operator gives you that little more assurance that you will be looked after in the event of a tour operator/flight company going bust.
You can still book a flight only through a travel agent and be bonded.
Like John B said, why change a habit of a lifetime?.
I think some people are very naive and dont check if companies are bonded beforehand and just want to save a few quid.

Lisa

Offline annemarsh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »
I think these days , most people go indepentant because of the flexibility it affords, not "to save a few quid" - because it doesn't! A few years ago it was possible, if you got a really cheap flight, to do it cheaper than a package but not anymore.
Personnally, I will still go independantly when I can afford to, for the flexibility as I said, and to put money in the locals pockets rather than the tour operators'. If you use a bonded flight operator, or a credit card, there should be no problem.

Booking.com