Author Topic: IT DOESN'T PAY TO GO INDEPENDENT  (Read 43110 times)

Offline gaye

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: IT DOESN'T PAY TO GO INDEPENDENT
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 11:33:09 PM »
usually go independent but  if XL had gone bust six weeks ago we would have had no holiday! Time for a rethink!
gaygo

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 10:40:04 AM »
Heres a slightly different take.

My colleague Simon and his wife left in my Suzuki Jeep last night bound for Arillas the scenic route.

They hit Dover at midnight last night and were having breakfast in Koeningsbourg this morning. They are taking a leisurely couple days through Germany and Italy on the way to the 17.30 ferry from Venice on Monday to be in Corfu Tuesday evening.

Total cost on this round trip would be £480 including ferries and Petrol in a 1.6L Jeep.

Considering you could take 5 or 7 people given the right car for around this price and load up with wine in Calais on the return leg this sounds like a good option.

Its about 1000 miles by road to Venice from us in the West Country so 2 people sharing the driving could knock it out in under 20 Hours no problem.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 11:35:40 AM »

Having tried both methods, my personal preference is going the independent route - it just works better for us.

Have just read your latest post Corfusoon & I'm SO tempted to try it this way.
I would love to drive & take the ferry, I just think it would be so much fun & such an exciting way of coming to Corfu & Arillas, I think Christian would be really tempted too.
Thanks for telling us about your friends. I'd be interested in hearing how they found it etc.

Food for thought - definately :-)

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
I am seriously jelous! Its a trip I wanted to do in my old Landrover last year but I lent it to somebody who crashed it and there was a problem with the insurance. The Suzuki was bought out of the salvage value but as a four seater it wasnt a trip I could do with the group I had planned.

My wifes MPV would be perfect though so maybe another year.

On the subject of daring not to book a flight incase the airline goes bust I have to say that if you buy your flights on a credit card you are covered in the event of a failure, if you take a decent holiday insurance out you are covered.

So if the worst happens at least you get your money back.

There are not many people I would hand over a stack of cash to on the promise of a service some months away. Why would flying be any different.

Credit Card payment gives you protection. Insurance gives you protection.

If you are booking without taking these precautions upon yourself then you need to take a long hard look at how you operate! All business is at highr risk at this time. Be careful about any major purchase with payment up front.

Take a look at this:

http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news-views/2008/09/12/are-you-covered-against-collapsing-airlines

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »
Ang

We have 6 odd days spare at our villa http://www.corfuhome.co.uk from 13th to 19th October. So theres a deal to be done on our 1 week rate which is normally £700.

Flights from Gatwick are £142.40 per person on Easyjet.

Villa sleeps 6. How can this not make fantastic value?

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
Not sure why it is considered more 'dangerous' to book independent, you can quiet easily when booking afford yourself the same protection as on package deals, it just depends on where and how you book it. You can thank the government (as always) for this mess with people losing money, this link explains it better than me, we have actually asked for this protection but the government overruled:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/09/13/cncook113.xml

While the package holiday is not to everyone's taste it can be seen the last few weeks why it is so popular and no doubt here to stay, it offers people who are often not seasoned travellers security and protection which makes them feel at ease when they are so far from home.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
Some really useful, accurate and well written information here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article4782234.ece

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
As a family of five we always book independently.  I would say the first determining factor is wanting to guarantee out accommodation, the second is definitely the price.  I have done extensive searches and would still have to pay £1000 more for our usual 2 weeks. This is simply not an option for us.  Unfortunately I am restricted to the school holidays as I work in a school.

We used to go in June before I worked in a school and sometimes managed to get a package then and I reckon as a couple you would get some better bargains if you booked packages.

I have been as shocked as everyone by the xl demise as we have booked with them every single year and would have done so again in a couple of months. We also always booked using a debit card so this is a definite change we will be making.  I am also flabbergasted that we would have never been protected.

Perhaps next year will be the one that makes us finally take the kids somewhere else even though it will break my heart!

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
Thanks Corfusoon,troble is Gatwicks a tad too far, but hey ho I think it will have to be a cheapy flight to Malaga for a few days in october instead can get them for just under £200 return for us both.
Ang

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
Hi Ang

It wasnt really an offer so much as making a point that for some people this kind of holiday works out way cheaper and for so much more.

I, my wife, my mother in law and 3 young children would fit into your Malagar accomodation how I wonder?

Helios Court would rate a good many more T's than Thompsons usual rating.

Again it depends what makes a holiday comfortable for you.

Regards

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 02:10:23 PM »
Nice try at touting for some business though, corfu soon!

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »
Might of hit on something there ...how about a swap shop...Swap 2 weeks in our house for 2 weeks in  a 3 bedroom villa  in Arillas....now thats an offer no one can refuse!!!  anyone intersted ?... PM me

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 03:42:19 PM »
That’s a bit cynical Jo.

I think that suggesting the people should not go independent because they perceive a high risk of losing their money and that going independent is always so much more expensive is just plain wrong. I hope I have put up valuable comments to counter this.

Flights to Corfu a grand in October or any other time!!!! In what world? Not yet anyway.

I couldn’t think of a better way of making my point. Can you?

These are the kind of throw away comments that do down business in Arillas which this web site tries hard to promote.

Arillas has had its share of rough treatment from the Holiday companies and a lot of accomodation is greatful to recieve independant business.

BeckyB, My friends got rediculous deal on a hotel suite overlooking Lake Lucern yesterday lunchtime. Stunning views. Just turned up and booked.

They are having fun.

They have to be on the 17.30 ferry on Monday in Venice so they will spend today and tomorrow going through the Alps and Northern Italy before exploring Venice ahead of the Trip.

I was told that the Ferry is one like they use on the Bilbao route, its like a little cruise ship.

They will be in Arillas Tuesday night staying at the Marina Hotel.

Hope they like Arillas as much as we do!

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »
Ha! Ha! That's pretty funny Kes :-)
Call me cynical, but somehow I don't think that will catch on - you never know though...

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »
First try at sending the photo he sent me