Author Topic: Margarita Taverna  (Read 6449 times)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Margarita Taverna
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:13:21 AM »
I forgot to ask if anyone has been to this taverna, just past Vavilas next to  Marias Supermarket (now the new bar).  We always stopped and wondered about it, last year it looked all lit up = but no one at home (as it were)..  is it a functioning restaurant or just for family... it is always so quiet and dead looking.  Didnt like to wander up and ask in case there was nothing cooking.  Is it worth trying out?  Its a bit like the last restaurant (Efithia or something) in front of the Kaloudis you never know if they are open.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: Margarita Taverna
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:35:19 AM »
I went in there in about 1995 but I'm sure it must have changed over the years!! I believe there is a tragedy associated with the family some years ago.
Sandy x

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
We've always wondered about that BG, we were same as you and didnt want to ask (how daft are we) LOL.

Sharon x

Offline JohnJ

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »
Re the Margarita, yes it is usually open during the season.  Always very quiet and on the rare occasion we have used it, it has been OK but not spectacular.  As for the tradegy some locals told us that their 16 year old daughter committed suicide by jumping from the cliffs above the nudist beach a few winters ago.  A great tradegy and our hearts went out to the family.  The taverna is worth visiting if only for a cool relaxing drink and admiring the gorgeous colourful flowers.
JohnJ
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline dorothy

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:38:28 PM »
Have never eaten in Magarita  but this year we ate lots in Eftichia -  it is super for both lunch and evening meals.  It is a small family run taverna and has quite a small menu but everything is freshly cooked.  Mother does all the cooking and her daughter( Eftichia ) takes orders and serves, this year she was helped by her boyfriend Zissis.  The views are lovely from it and it has a really relaxed feel to it. We love all of Arillas but this is our favourite place.

Dorothy
Dorothy

Offline Peckedhen

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »
Is the Eftichia the one on the front Dorothy?  My husband has always wanted to eat there but I was never sure that it was open!

Offline dorothy

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »
Yes at the front and is very deceptive looking it was actually quite busy this year.
Dorothy

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:22:58 PM »
I can agree withh Dorothy.

It has always looked quiet and being in a quiet location means, to me. that it'sone of those Tavernas you search out for a quiet time.

But this year I have seen many people there so perhaps the secrets out!

We have eaten there and it was good honest food and good service.

Negg

Offline Peckedhen

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:14:10 PM »
Thanks guys, we'll give it a twirl next week.....;)

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »
I have stayed at the Margarita for a week, after 2 weeks at Kokinos next door, and can thoroughly recommend it. Margarite and Nikos are really good fun, the food is good, and the rooms are of a good standard. Donīt be put off by the apparent lack of business, it seems they are happy enough to get by on repeat business and personal recommendation.
Geoffrey with a `Gī

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
Thanks Geoffrey... we will definately go and have a proper nosey next time.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »
Will add this one to my list of places to try when we are there in June. We`ve got our favourite places to eat, but also like to experiment.
                         Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 07:26:22 PM »
I Donīt be put off by the apparent lack of business, it seems they are happy enough to get by on repeat business and personal recommendation.

That's exactly what the "Eftihia" say.  It's not all about money, just enough to get by.

Negg

Offline Wendy n Stu

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
We can vouch for Eftihia, gorgeous.  Will try Vavillas and Margarita (can't spell sorry!!) this time and let you know.  W. x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »
We did try Margarita... it was ok... very cheap and basic... not an exciting meal but ok non the less.

Our favourite was Efthia's... We had some lovely meals there... Efi's mum made spinach pies which Mike loved, all freshly made there and then.  I had sea bream one time and it was the best I have ever had, all covered in herbs, fabulous dressing on the salad... the red wine was like black currant juice.. gorgeous!  Her fried cheese is lovely too!

We were there the night of the first storm... it chucked it down and we were stranded.. Efi's mum took us back in the car and wouldnt hear of us walking back with black bin bags over our heads (she must have thought we were mad to ask for one).

After that we just kept going back.. If I can sort out the length of time Imageshack takes to download my photos I will put some on!

I cant believe we missed this gem of a place previously as we thought it wasn't open
Efi is so sweet, such a lovely girl!  Definately top priority for us on our next visit to Arillas.

Booking.com