Author Topic: Beware of bees  (Read 8638 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Beware of bees
« on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
On one of our daily walks along the beach towards Afionis, Helen suddenly felt a sharp pain in her foot. She sat down and investigated and found a sting that was very quickly making her foot swell.

We then noticed that there were thousands of dead bees along the shoreline. This was about 10.30 am so it was quite early. Here is one of the bees.

As we were going back to the hotel to remove the sting we met Pedro and I asked him if he had any knowledge of how the bees could have got on the beach. He said that a swarm of bees had probably arrived, during the night, from Africa and had died due to the cool, early morning temperature on the shoreline.

Helen pulled the sting out and it was quite big and I think it could have been a lot worse if the bee had been alive. Luckily we had an antihistamine  spray with us and the swelling subsided during the day.

So, if you walk barefoot along the beach keep a lookout for any dead bees, although,  it was probably just an isolated incident and may not happen again.

BTW, isn't Pedro a lovely bloke. He always has a big smile and his red shorts and straw hate are one of the things that make Arillas special. An Arillas icon.

Offline Mango

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Beware of bees
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »
Hi Terry

Pedro is a great bloke, we hired one of his pedalos for two hours and he told us not to worry if it took us a little longer to get it back.

We had a great time, Amy loved it.

Amanda

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:41:18 PM »
Hi Terry,

Crikey! The sting incident sounds scary. I have never seen a bee on the beach, fingers crossed that I never will.

Pedro is an absolutely lovely guy and really an Arillas icon.
Life is good ;)

Offline MicK-G

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
My son Joseph stood on something last year on our last day. It really upset him, he's got a phobie for bees and wasps now. Also a quick first aid tip. If you don't have any anithistamines put some vinegar on the sting. I know that this sounds odd but the sting of insects is usually alkaline and the vinegar is acid so can help to neutralise the sting. I've tried it, it worked.
Mick

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:45:38 PM »
There is another readily available remedy for stings............if people see you doing it though they may call the police!
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »
Graham, if my information is correct, providing you are pregnant it is ok ;-), Mick

Offline Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 10:36:28 PM »
Ahh the good old Pedro, I think we were his favourite customers as everyday it would be 8 sunbeds and 3 umbrellas, and then in the afternoon 2 pedaloes. He was more sad we were going then we were! Bless!

Dan

Booking.com