Author Topic: First timer  (Read 34243 times)

Offline DronnyDave

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Re: First timer
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »
Everyone,

Thanks once again for your replies. We fly from Birmingham at ten past ten at night so will obviously land in the early hours the following morning. I suppose we will have to see how tired we feel and then discuss it with the tour Rep. It will be a shorter flight time for us this year, so perhaps this can balance out the longer transfer time.  I've always thought that the journey from the airport to the resort provides an opportunity to see some of the island. The return journey to the airport will be in the dark, so unless we hire a car it may be our only opportunity to see some of the other resorts on the island.
Once we get there it is our intention to totally relax and unwind. We hope to find a decent spot on the beach, some nice places to eat and hopefully make some friends and then hopefully we will become Arillas regulars too.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »
If you are on the night flight you won't see much on the transfer to Arillas....all the more reason to jump in a taxi and get there to put your heads down for a few hours before hitting the beach....
Sandy x

Offline DronnyDave

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
Sandy,

I thought that with a 3 hour plus flight and putting the clocks foward two hours that by the time we got out of the airport it would be starting to get light.

Am I wrong.
To be honest when I am on holiday I try to make sure that I am not awake too early, perhaps the sun doesn't rise as early as I think it does.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »
It's a good point DronnyDave and to be honest I haven't done the night flight for some years so others probably can give you better advice.

For many years though I caught a flight from Gatwick at about 11pm so we got there at 2am (ie 4am) and I seem to remember driving through darkness on the coach and it being light by the time we reached Arillas.....
Sandy x

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »
I have also heard of problems with Olympic transfers. Last year, I met a couple who had arrived at Corfu airport at 2.00 a.m. and arrived in Arillas at 7.30 a.m!!
I would definately ask the rep if Arillas is going to be first or last drop off point and if the answer is not 'first', get a taxi (- about 50 euros).

Angie

p.s. I reckon it will be still dark when you arrive, but dawn will be breaking as you get to Arillas - beautiful time of day for your 'first impressions' - a cup of coffee sat on the balcony whilst you drink in the view, the smells , the sounds and atmosphere, and let the feeling of total relaxation just wash over you, then a couple of hours sleep before a cooked breakfast around 11.30am (at any of the tavernas), before collapsing on the beach.

Heaven.

Offline youngerpet

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »
Hi Dronny Dave

Are you by any chance from Dronfield?

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »
Dave
You fly in on the plane we fly out on
we return to Birmingham on 29th early morning flight, get back home about 7.00am

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 02:57:48 AM »
me again DronnyDave

with a night flight like that, you are probably be going to be excited but totally worn out when you hope to see the sights. Believe me it doesn't work. Whoever dreamed up these times and coach transfers was a student of the Marquis de Sade. Find 50 euros and get a taxi. You can wallow in self pity on the coach on your way home  - you will be miserable to leave Arillas anyway. See the sights from next day onwards... though anything like us you will never go anywhere.

Getting in so late will mean it's all quiet. If like jen and me you like a drink, take a bottle of vodka and some tins of coke in your luggage (but not hand luggage - it will be confiscated.)

The taxi driver will know exactly where you are staying by the name of it if you book it through the locals on this website (advised.)  jen and me know the place so well we could give anyone directions to where we need dropping off.

hope it works out for you
phil

Offline DronnyDave

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »
Youngerpet,

yes I am from Dronfield.

Phil,

Thanks again for the advice. Although I prefer vodka and orange, with plenty of ice.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »
Ha Ha DronnyDave - the ice might not be any more than a puddle if you take your own! You might be lucky and find some in the fridge when you get there.... but don't rely! One idea - freeze a two thirds full plastic bottle of orange to a solid lump. Take it out as you leave and wrap well in a beach towel to prevent condensation ruining things and insulate out the heat. Has to be hold luggage now of course. Should at least be good and cold when you get there.

Same tip applies when very hot out there - we freeze a bottle of water every day, and take it out with us still frozen. As it melts a steady supply of ice cold water...

best wishes
Phil

Offline DronnyDave

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »
Phil,

I now take my own ice cube tray with me, so that we can have ice in our early evening drinks.

For the last few years, especially when we have visited some of the more remote beaches on Skiathos, we have always taken at least one bottle of frozen water and used that to keep our lunch cool. We have a neat cool bag that has been efficient enough to keep everything cold until well into the afternoon. It is one of the reasons we go self catering, to ensure that we have a fridge. Nothing worse, than warm vodka and orange.

cheers 

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
What a good idea - frozen water bottles!!!

In all the years I've been going on 'beach' holidays, I've never thought of doing that - 'just shows , never too old to learn!

Angie

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 04:31:54 PM »
Takes me back to when I was young free and single and holidaying in kavos with my friend.  It was so hot that summer that we had to stuff the bed sheets in the freezer compartment while we were out on the town so that we could get to sleep at night on our return!

As for the frozen water bottle, my 'useful' husband has been doing this for years as well as maintaining a 'sand-free' environment in the apt...(and the suncream bottle and beach bag!!).

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »
Brilliant , Jo - I'll have to try that one! lol.

I remember in my younger days, in Malta, sinking bottles of wine into the sand on the waters edge to keep cool. It worked really well until one day, an 'old' lady  ( - about the same age as I am now -) stubbed her toe on one and gave us a real dressing down!! ( - still did it 'though!)

Offline DronnyDave

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
Don't forget to let a bit of water out of the bottle before you freeze it.

It's one of the few things that I remember from Chemistry at school, water expands when it freezes. Therefore if you don't the bottle may crack or the top will come off.

I expect to see hundreds of people on the beach with frozen bottles of water, you'll be surprised at how long it will last.

cheers

Dave

Booking.com