Author Topic: Any bright ideas?  (Read 6196 times)

Offline graham

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Any bright ideas?
« on: June 09, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »
My family and I are booked to stay at Nikos for a week from 28/7 til 4/8 but we want to extend for another week until 11/8 (who wouldn't right!). The flights are available with my tour operator (Manos) but the accomodation is full for the second week. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I could prolong my stay in Arillas heaven this year without breaking the bank?
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Any bright ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »
I would advise you to book the flights then scout round for some private accommodation at the start of your holiday or email a few properties off here. I'm sure that you will have no problems at all in securing something decent for around 50E a night (or less)

Offline graham

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:42:34 PM »
Thank's Jo, we wanted to try and stay at Nikos though, we know he has a spare room but the holiday company won't give us the later flight without accomodation through them for the second week. We'd have to book a seperate later flight and accomodation for the second week which could get expensive as we've already paid for our package. I was hoping someone may know a way around it or possibly I'll just have to book two weeks in other apartments, Thetis apartments and studios is still available but I've never been there.
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:04:09 PM »
Graham,

Yep, I agree this could get very expensive.  The only solution I can suggest is to wait until the last minute to try and find a last minute cheapy one way flight back to the U.K.  I once had to do this, with nerves of steel I waited until the day before I left for Corfu and bought a last minute return ticket, but only used the return leg. That was 2 years ago and cost me £54!

A few days before you leave you might... with a little luck... find a cheap Corfu-U.K or perhaps even do it the way I did by purchasing a return ticket.

Thomsonfly/Flythomascook/Easyjet (no last minute cheapies tho')/all do one way to the U.K. 

Or, you could leave it to the very last minute and give Sue a ring at Castaway Travel in Acharavi.  Sue has access to all the flights coming to the U.K, even XL who do not sell Corfu-UK online over here.  Sue is brilliant, a great help and if anyone can get you a return seat it will be her!  http://www.corfucastaway.com/

Finding somewhere to stay should not be too difficult unless you are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment which there are fewer of.

Good luck,

Eileen.

Offline graham

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
Thank's eileen, i'll give corfu castaway a try if I can't get any joy with Manos!

Offline graham

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »
I have a new found hatred of travel companies! Manos won't let me extend my holiday, they say I have to cancel it (and lose 50%) then re-book or stick with what I have! Really helpful firm. now I'm looking to get cheap flights back and accomodation from 4/8-11/8. Does anyone know of firms that do flights from Corfu to Bristol one way and any good, cheap, accomodation to let?

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
hi Graham

They all seem to be the same. They also let down the accommodation owners in Arillas badly with such things as taking seven months to pay them. But many of the owners need the marketing power the tie-in gives them. But many more seem to be going independent these days.

If it's any help, last year we wanted to stay on for a further week in July, and nattering to Yannis in Graziella one lunchtime (about 5pm I think....) he offered us the week in one apartment he had empty for £50 for the week (both of us that is.) We found we could get the accommodation easily but failed to get the flight home to Bristol without booking a return at daft cost.

A risk of course, but I think you'll find an empty room somewhere. Look in flightboard on here and surf the net relentlessly. You might strike lucky.

Good luck with it.
Phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »
Graham, the cheapest I can find to Bristol is with Thomsonfly but it's I'm afraid it's £159.

I'm not familiar with 'your' airport, but I imagine that to get this price any cheaper in August you are going to have to take a chance by waiting until you are in Corfu and contacting Sue at Castaway.

Phil's right, you should be able to pick up accom' easy enough once you are over there.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

Eileenx

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »
Graham

Try http://www.avro.co.uk/Flight-Search/

Our single flights to England, recently cost us £75 each.  This was to Bristol Airport We booked them about 10 days before departure and collected the tickets at Corfu Airport on arrival.

About 3 days after we booked on-line a local agent found some for £60 each.

Negg

Offline graham

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:02:36 PM »
Excellent website Negg! I'm going to keep looking back on that one and see what I can get. I can feel the sun already!

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »
Last year in August we walked over to San Stefanos and I noticed return flights to UK advertised in their window. They were less than 100 euro. Why don't you leave your booking and then whilst in Arillas see if you can get a flight home and then I'm sure you would have no problems finding accomodation.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:09:18 PM »
Graham

Did you pick up the personal message I sent you?

Negg

Offline graham

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 10:05:59 PM »
Neggy,
No I was working yesterday evening and I can't find anything in my inbox!
Graham

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »
Graham

Strange - I'll find it tomorrow and re-send.

Cheers
Negg

Booking.com