Author Topic: More Fuel Woes  (Read 9571 times)

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
More Fuel Woes
« on: June 07, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »
I believe we are all feeling the pinch now with the rising fuel costs effecting everything from filling up our car to our weekly shop, well its not in the news as much but aviation fuel is rising at an even faster rate, Silverjet being the latest victim.

For now holidays and flights are more than the were last year but it is not a major jump, well this is mainly due to Airlines 'hedging" the fuel prices, simply put fuel was bought in bulk at a set rate before the expected price rises. Unfortunately these rises have been much steeper than anyone expected and the industry is facing its biggest challenge since 9/11, expect to lose some familiar names over the coming summer. Its not only the fuel increases that hit hard but with the cost of living going up so rapidly holidays will be the first thing to fall by the wayside and the astonishingly strong price of the euro at the moment means that prices have gone up comparatively 15-20% over this time last year, even though the actual local prices will be the same, 1.26€ to the pound compared to 1.67€ 18 months ago, I think this for the first time puts a pint of beer is more expensive in Arillas than here in the UK, admittedly the surroundings are better and you don't have to run the gauntlet of drunken 16 years olds to get to the pub but that's a different topic altogether.

Why all the doom and gloom well at the moment this hedging of fuel prices is still in effect, you may have seen in the news about further fuel surcharges from BA, the surcharge to the west coast of America is now nearly £260 if you can believe that. The charters and low cost will be going up steeply soon to so if you have been debating about booking your flights do it now, they are not going to get any cheaper and mid summer expect some big rises.

On a much more positive note and on the contrary to some of the above, reports are that Greece had a really strong May and June is looking good to especially with the new Easyjet and Jet 2 routes, my Mum also mentioned that Arillas is busier earlier which is very pleasing to hear.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: More Fuel Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
Thank you Joe. A true forum expert. We are lucky to have you here.

Jen and me just rushed to book our cheaper flight from Gatwick to avoid the mayhem that is coming. Your insights are so important to many members of this forum. We are glad to hear from you whenever you want to post.

We just booked EasyJet and took a "flyer." justphil and justjen are now going to be in arillas from 27 august to 26 september.  HOORAY! YIPPPEE!
thanks joe - maybe we can buy you a real drink, instead of a virtual one
phil

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
We shall have to keep our eyes open for you then Phil.. We are there 11-25th September!

As long as they dont cancel our flights with EJ I will be happy.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justjen

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 08:08:53 PM »
They'd better not be cancelling flights BG - we just booked with EJ...

Jen

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
Yeah really sorry I don't get on as much as in the past, things have changed so much in the past 6 months you will not believe and to be honest very little of it for the better, I'm sure any of you that have flown the past couple of weeks can see the strain we are under.

The main reason I posted was just to give a heads up that in the past it was always best to hold on for deals and unless you are very very lucky that is not going to be a good idea now, right now they are probably the cheapest they are going to be for a while.

Will be in Arillas on family business :) sometime in June, I'm patiently watching the flight loads for any availability.

(No flights are not going to cancelled didn't mean to give you that worry)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »
Joe - I am so sad we won't meet you then. one day probably. Jen just called you "a little diamond."

Jen and me have plan B - villa dimi perhaps but Corfu for certain.

take care luvver!
phil

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 08:43:47 PM »
Hi Joe,

It's good to see you.  I had a nice chat with your mum a few weeks at the quiz night in Bar 38, she's looking very well. :-)

Thanks for coming on and bringing us up to date with the effects of the fuel price increase and the weak pound.  It looks like many of us will have to change our booking habits of the last few decades!

I'd better get cracking now and book my October flights!

Phil, might catch up with you and Jen at last.

Eileenx

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 12:01:45 AM »
Thanks for that report, Joe.

Congratulation Phil and Jen on booking your month away.  Hope you have a super time!  (Naturally, we're jealous as hell, lol....)

lynn & colin

riggers

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »
Must Agree this is a very helpful Report. I am so glad i always book my hols well in advance. When i got home from Arillas last June i booked straight away for this June.So glad i did, must have saved a good bit.  :)  :D

Happy Hols To You All.

riggers.........

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 12:11:59 AM »
Really glad to hear from you again Joe... it has been a long time. Missed your input (and help) in the past.  By hook or by crook we shall be in Arillas in September even if I have to grow wings myself (as if).. LOL.

How long is it since you were there last?  Didnt you go with your mates last time?

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 03:57:44 AM »
Fantastic justphil and justjen....will get to see you....I leave on 2 September.

Eileen
- hope to see you again in October....will liaise...
Sandy x

riggers

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 04:07:57 AM »
Hmm will miss you Sandy :(  But we will meet PhilandJen:)

i go sept 9th-23rd.

riggers......

Offline biglillypicker

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »
i booked last year for september this year    left deposit    still have to pay remaining monies   what i was wondeing was can the airline (thomas cook) still charge me with extra fuel costs    a friend told me a couple he knew were billed an extra £300 for lanzaroti   cheers blp

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
Joe might have some info on that as he knows the airline procedures really well and  comes up with the correct info.  Any ideas Joe?

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »
No the fuel surcharges cannot be backdated on confirmed existing bookings, if you booked on 30th June and the surcharge was brought into force on the 1st July then you would not pay it.

Tour Operators do have the provision to ask you for extra monies if the operating costs suddenly rise such as ground transport and hotel rates, this is capped at about 5% of the holiday price and needs ABTA approval (should put this in my signature but always read the small print) I had never heard of this until recently but with escalating costs it is happening more often but still only in the minority of cases, I imagine this is the extra charge your friend incurred.

Booking.com