Author Topic: Olive oil  (Read 3347 times)

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
Olive oil
« on: May 24, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »

I have just recently been informed that there may be a problem bringing olive oil home from Greece this year. Apparently some airlines are advising passengers they may no longer carry olive oil and honey in their luggage. I cannot understand the reason behind this as it is available in all the duty-free shops.
Does anyone know the true facts ?

Thanks Pauline x

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Olive oil
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 06:59:34 PM »
Hi Pauline,

I brought home a bottle of olive oil from Stamatis supermarket in Arillas. You know the stuff...their own brand...in an old water bottle!  To be fair it was in my check-in baggage and of course I did not declare it!!!

No problem with a jar of honey, cans of Mythos, Metaxa, Retsina..etc...etc.... :-o

Eileenxxx

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »

Oh thank goodness. Yes that is the olive oil we bring back it is so good.
Hope you had a good holiday. Looking forward to a report !!!!!

Pauline xx

ps Did you get my pm? x

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
We have always brought back a few litres but the last 2yrs we have had our luggage checked after its gone through the xray, seemingly it looks like bottles of petrol so they always need to check,a bit of a pain but its easier to pack than carry several litres by hand.Now I must try this homemade oil from Stamatis supermarket.
Ang

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:16:58 PM »

Hi Anj Yes you must get some of his oil. He has it behind the counter and sells it in plastic water bottles. It is delicious !!!!!

Pauline x

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:26:22 PM »
Thanks where about is the supermarket, I will get some next week.
Thanks
Ang

Offline kriopigi girl

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:56:42 AM »
Hi Anj

The supermarket is the one next to the bakery.

Pauline x

riggers

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 01:50:05 AM »
Yes you beat me to it Pauline............  :)

riggers.............

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
We are very lucky and have a friend out there that supplies us with her own home grown and pressed olive oil, we bought 2 litres back in plastic lemonaid bottle, wrapped it in a cardi and put it in the case. No problem what so ever. Everything we brought at duty free went in carrier's and no problem ther either, Cant see why any of you should have any trouble at all. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 01:16:38 PM »
Thanks Pauline, I take it thats the bakery just up from the Rainbow.. on the last 2 ocasions we bought our oil from the boys at the Rainbow.

Viv I made a mistake with the quantity of olive oil, it was 3x1 1/2 litre bottles  7 litres in total, so it could be the size and we were checked 1 last year and twice the year before..... or maybe we look shiffty
Ang

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »
Ang, It must be the latter, lol, as Pete has been checked before and they have  never asked me. Bet Ive jinxed it now. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »
That reminded me of my old dad.  Some years ago my parents went to Canada and said they would bring home some maple syrup.  They bought these small plastic flagons but  they didnt want to put them in their luggage as they would be heavy so he tied a bit of string through the two handles and strung it around his neck and wore it under his anarak (like kids mittens on elastic you remember)...  you couldnt do that now..  they would think they would be explosives.  I shall never forget him coming through arrivals and unzipping his coat and hey presto maple syrup.  Totally mad!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »
Lovely BG.
I remember coming through cousoms with my great Auntie Joan (cant remember where from) aanyway she brought me a hand puppet of sooty but I had to hold some purfume in my tiny hand (about 7 yrs at time) and put sooty over the top, I made sooty talk to every one in customs but nobady dare take him from me.lol.
 Actully it makes my blood boil now when I think about it, it's amazes me how people use kids we have a lot in our place but thats a different story. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com