Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
Walks
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »
Hi folks i have been looking at the interactive map of Arillas and noticed that there are quite a few small roads and lanes around the back away from the sea front
Are all these ok to walk on or are some private roads etc ,we have come across tracks/lanes like this before but always a bit concerned about walking down them incase its private property,the last thing i would want to do is upset the local people by tramping down there roads
But we do like to have a wander around the local area just to see the way of life the locals have and have a chat with them if we come across anyone,but like i say we dont want to be trespassing on anyones land 
                                                             Tony

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Walks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:43:33 AM »
We could tell you a few stories about being chased off.    If you go on the interactive map and look for the road that goes past the Bardis Sun and before the Makris there are some studios called Gianis.. that little lane takes you to the stream..  if you cross over it takes you past the greenhouses (you can see them on the map)... DONT go down past the greenhouses.  We did and got told off!  Very embarassing it was.  LOL.
We were hoping for a shortcut to come out in front of the Brouklis.    There is a nice walk at the back of the Galini which takes you up to the little church, leads to the main San Steff. road, you can carry on there and come back along the cliff path or take the junction left and it brings you back down into Arillas again.

there is a shortcut if you go past the Elena hotel and comes out at the Galini and then goes past the bakery.. the circuit.

Afionas is a nice walk too.  Fabulous views at the top (which is where we are sitting on my profile photo) with a nice restaurant Porto Timoni at the top.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 01:57:06 AM »
bg thanks for reminding me. we called in for a drink and ended up there all day. freebie mezes then down to beach, back again and spent most of the day there eating their lovely food and drinking.... wel that's us really.

beautiful walk if you can do it. maybe not for jen this year...

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:41:02 AM »
Hi TONYNEW!
I can recommend a small book by Lance Chilton, 'Walks in Northwest Corfu'. Maringo Publications, 17, Bernard Crescent, Hunstanton, PE36 6ER. Tel.01485 532710. <www.marengowalks.com>. It comes with a waterproof/protective plastic envelope and a detailed high resolution map of Arillas, and the surrounding countryside. All roads, tracks and major landmarks are included and there are detailed instructions for all walks listed in the book. I have used this and wouldn't be without it, as it's almost impossible to 'go astray' or 'get lost'! Cost is about £8.00. really worth having if you,like me, are fond of walking whilst on holiday.
Hope this helps,
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »
Not long now Martin and you will be trying them out again for Real!!

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
Thanks folks i had better watch where i go then dont fancy being told off lol,
Looks like i best stay on the beaten track as long as there is a taverna at the end of it that will do just fine :-)

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »
I make it 19 days Blondegirl! My first 'walk' will be from The Bardis Sun Hotel to Brouklis for a swift few and one of Dimitris' legendary meals!
TONYNEW.. I think you will find all the Tavernas are well marked on the map included in the book with lots of 'well beaten' tracks!
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 06:30:03 PM »
Tony,
do not believe the distance that is on some of the handwritten signs, we followed one up to a taverna in Afionas many years ago it said 100mtrs, half an hour later we still had not reached it, it was well worth it when we did but the distance on the sign is not there anymore.
Mick.

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »
Cheers Mick will take a walk up to Afionis always worth it if theres a taverna for light refreshments at the end :-)
                                                   Tony

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
The first time we attempted the Afionas walk we came back after only walking a few yards up the very steep hill ( Mike had a bad swollen knee that year and couldnt walk far).  This road is the one before the Heritage Walk Road.  It is a really lovely walk but the hill is a killer.  We saw a very old local lady with two bags of shopping and a huge bundle on her head and she was doing it with ease so we copied her style (very slow and stopped frequently). (she must have thought we were stalking her).  We did take the St George road and really wanted to carry on but thought it would take us out of our way a bit and turned back to go to Afionas.  On the right is a lovely bakers, a tavern called the 3 brothers,  they do accommodation there www.3brothers-afionas-corfu.com  and the views are out of this world above the cliff.

It really is worth either driving there or walking and seeing the view right on the end and having a drink at the restaurant.

There are other routes I really want to try out this year that we havent done yet.  I wonder if we would survive walking to St George and back.

Offline PaulnMaria

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »
Hi Tony, if you like walking, Afionas is a must. Breathtaking views all the way up and smashing taverna at the end. If you're a little more adventurous there's a track which runs in front of the taverna (Dyonassis), which leads you down to this secluded beach (sturdy footwear required as it's very uneven & steep in places !)

When you've had a rest & recharged your batteries, if you fancy exploring a little further, follow the track that you should be able to see in this photo,

and it will lead you to a tiny little church cut into the rock.

It's a long walk, but if you take plenty of water & make sure you have decent footwear, it's worth it.

Offline PaulnMaria

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
Sorry chaps, forgot to resize the photos ??? ???

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
Looks good to me Paul we always do a fair bit of walking on holiday and i think you discover a lot more interesting places on foot rather than by car although a car or scooter is handy for places further a field
                                                          Tony

Maggie

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »
The food at the 3 brothers is very good too!

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »
Looks like we will have to try the 3brothers then Maggie thats another couple of pounds banged on the waistline lol
                                             Tony

Booking.com