Author Topic: Kavaddades Watermelon Mashing  (Read 12159 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Kavaddades Watermelon Mashing
« on: April 01, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »
Last night Wegg and I were one of 5 teams asked to take part in the A.K.A. Watermelon Mashing Ritual.  We missed it last year as we came over in May. Some say “mashing” and some say “bashing” It’s bad English that the Greeks have picked up from us!

They say A.K.A. because it involves Arillas , Kavvadades and Avliotes. The official term is watermelon treading and it’s a very old tradition, which is interesting because I think that’s where England got the term for a “Water Tread Mill” which eventually got shortened to a Watermill and of course Tread Mill. Mill also being the shortened version of melon. We were told, that many years ago, it involved treading on the melon. But like everything else “Health and Safety” probably got involved and stopped the practice of standing on the table, stomping away. Too many ouzos and I suppose people fell off.

5 teams of two compete. Five really mushy watermelons are placed on a long table and one member of each team has a 3 metre long bamboo cane.

This is what happened - the local Mayor shouted “Ανοητοζ  για Απριληζ “ ( Aneetos yia Aprilis ) and we started whacking the melons. When the melon was sufficiently whacked or mashed the other member of the team has to pick 40 seeds from the pulp. The first one to do this is the winner.

They are very strict though and count the seeds. Our local Mon Amour Taverna owner shouted first but when they counted his seeds he had 42 and was disqualified.
(these seeds have a habit of sticking together)  And we won! – thanks to a methodical Wegg, who was crowned “Τι μερα ινε σιμερα“
(Ti mera ine simera)

First prize was an instant invite to compete next year and the freedom of the village, but only where watermelons are concerned. Any time we want a watermelon we can just go to any plot and pick one – how nice is that?

This is me, duly kitted out, before the big event.

Who wants to see any more pictures? If I can persuade Wegg to post any, that is!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Kavaddades Watermelon Mashing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
Sorry - Trying the pic again.

Negg

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
Eggy

That sounds like a great night, and please post more photos.

Is there any chance that you could have a chat with the organisers and see if they could arrange a melon mashing competition for the naturist beach in the summer. That could be good fun and no protective clothing would be required. Just think of the fun counting the seeds!!!!!!!!

TerryW

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:04:43 AM »
You Lucky Mr Eggy,
Sorry I could not make it last evening ... Too late fro Bebis,

I just found a picture from some  previous years ( sorry for the bad quality)
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »
What a laugh!  You are so funny Eggy... what on earth will you be doing next!  Beats welly throwing in Surrey I think!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

riggers

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »
Looks like a lot of Fun Eggy.

How do you pick the seeds up with them gloves on. lol

riggers...

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »
:D *LOL* sounds and looks like a lot of fun! And well done Mrs Wegg! And yes please more pictures separakalo!
Life is good ;)

Offline Mrs Egg

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »
Riggers - you will note from Neggs original post that I was reponsible for collecting and counting the melon seeds.  That is why it is so important to have a multi talented team because those pesky seeds really cling together and you need small, nimble fingers like mine.  As you say, Neggs gloves would heave been useless.  Equally the thought of me wielding a 3 metre bamboo cane doesn't bear thinking about.

Currently having a nice day basking in the glory.  (you shurely mean sun?  Ed)

Mrs Egg

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 01:33:05 PM »
Looks like lots of fun.  More photos would be definately appreciated!

riggers

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »
Of Course Wegg Sorry i can see Negg is dressed for the occasion of Melon Mashing, bashing. Looks great fun and as requested already More photos please..  :)

riggers...

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »
Sounds great fun, add my plea for more pictures please Mr & Mrs Negg
Sharon x

Offline Mrs Egg

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »
Sorry no more pictures at the moment.  After last night's excitement Negg and I managed to lock ourselves out of our house this morning.  Gaining access involved Negg sMashing in our downstairs toilet window and me climbing through it to open the door.  We are both to old for this sort of caper (although clearly not too old for melon mashing) and are currently lying down in a darkened room recovering.  I'm sure Negg will be back online soon.

Mrs Egg

(Sorry Mr Administrator - we have clearly gone off thread of Arillas General Information here.   Please accept our profuse apologies.  We will try to make amends at a later date!)

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »
What a fantastic thread. Totally cheered up my day!

Congratulations to Mrs Egg on your stunning victory as chief seed counter. But I bet Eggy can wield a hefty mash too........

Loved the kit Negg - Jen asked are there any pictures of Wendy in mashing kit about to be posted? (I bet I can hear her saying "not on your life!!!")

And Dimtris - your pic captures it all. Wish we'd been there too - maybe next year we'll challenge Negg and Wegg for their title!

Full of April foolery -
phil and jenny

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
You dont seem to have time to be bored do you!!  What a high old life you are having out there... Breaking and entering as well as melon bashing!  I do love reading your daily escapades!  Cant wait to see what you get up to when its the Wine Festival!  Hopefully we will be in Arillas at that time if its September.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading about that - what a riot!

What do they do with the left-over bits? I guess there's not an awful lot to salvage eh?!?

Booking.com