Author Topic: Research into weather stations  (Read 2969 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Research into weather stations
« on: February 29, 2008, 11:23:24 PM »
Isn't this forum amazing, it pulls at your heart strings, it excites you, it can give you a lift after a hard day ( as Pauline said) and it makes you want to help Dimitris with his work on the forum. Hence this topic.

We can all give Dimitris some help by doing some research into weather stations. Some of us may know some weather addicts, have contacts in the US, or have product knowledge. If we can pool our resources we can help Dimitris to get a weather station without him having to worry too much about it. It is difficult to find a product with the correct specification and at a sensible price but we have set things in motion.

Dimitris has found a suitable weather station but he now has the problem of designing it, buying it, and installing  it. It is a big responsible to spend money on a project like this and I think that we could help to ease the burden on him.

The unit that seems to be recognised as the best product for the job is a Davis Wireless Weather Station 6152 Vantage Pro2 as described here..

http://www.provantage.com/davis-instruments-6152~7DAVS045.htm

There are some available on Ebay for about $550 in th US but this could come down to about $350. There is then the cost of shipment which is about $90 and there could be additional equipment required like a  suitable mast and software.

Someone on the forum may work for a company who can get cheaper shipping rates.

Does anyone have a friend or family member who has a weather station.

So, its now a forum project and I think we can have enjoyment from being involved with it.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Research into weather stations
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »
Spot on, Terry.

I bow out on the technical stuff here - I'm just going to enjoy the finished result.

As a teacher of IT, I now find myself teaching students how to pass their exams set by out of date, crusty old buffers rather than about the subject itself. There isn't time to spend on enjoying the progress of Dimitris and our project with the weather station - what an inspiring topic that would be for them.

Perhaps this not-so-crusty old buffer has made the right decision to retire from it and point us towards a new life in Corfu. We might actually learn something new about IT!

best wishes
Phil

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:51:58 AM »
I feel a bit sad that there has only been one reply to this topic. This topic is really a spin off from "arillas.com my view" and Ang may well have said what more members feel and that is to keep the forum simple.

Just keep things simple... thats my view to both Dimitris and all forum members new and those who have hung around for a few years...now whats all this about weather stations !!
Ang

I appreciate that a lot of people would not want to get involved with technical aspects of the equipment, and maybe nobody has read the topic yet and feels that they can help.

I suppose we all use the forum for many different reasons yet with a common cause, the love of Arillas. Maybe we need a debate on how we would want the forum to develop.

On a personal note, I have only been a member since last April and I sometimes feel as if I may be "too junior" to get involved with this type of thing. Oh well its Sunday night, work tomorrow and I have another 4 months to wait to get to Arillas. Thank god I can look at this forum everyday.

Offline JohnJ

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »
Sorry if I missed the beginning of this thread, but why has someone suggested that we need a weather station for Arillas?  The web page shows the current temperature and wind conditions ( I guess at Corfu airport) .  Yahoo weather gives 5 day forecasts for corfu which is pretty good.   Not trying to be a grumpy old man but, what else do we need?
John
JOHN JOHNSON

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 04:31:09 PM »

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »
Terry
I need to have a re-read of "My View" and take it all in. A weather station sounds a good idea and your credentials are such that you seem to be the person to organise it

Only being a member since April is irrelevant. You've earnt yer spurs lad.

However, as John said, what extra can a weather station give us that we are missing out on?. We have an Oregon Easy Weather System here which gives us as much info as we need and the temps in Kavvadades are about the same as in Arillas.  Give or take half a degree. Mind you,sometimes it forecasts rain which doen't happen.
This is probably a boys toy compared to the very upmarket ones.

I think I may need a bit of education here.
Cheers
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
This is an example of what could be seen.

This is live data from Thessalonika http://www.meteothes.gr/live/live.html

Other Greek weather stations can be seen here

http://www.weatherstationfinder.com/index.php?method=in&cat=Greece&start=1

I am not trying to advocate the weather station I am just showing examples of what can be seen with one.

I am not an expert on Weather stations, I just have an Oregon kit at home with a remote wireless sensor in the garden. I am just trying to help Dimitris. If he goes ahead and does it on his own, with his own finances, and then we start to get pleasure and interest from the results we may all feel a bit  guilty.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »
I am not an expert on Weather stations, I just have an Oregon kit at home with a remote wireless sensor in the garden.

Sounds like the one Wegg has Terry.

I can see Dimitris, and others, having a lot of fun with something like that.

Negg

Booking.com