Author Topic: Heritage sites / sites of religious interest  (Read 3070 times)

Offline smoosh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Soon have a nice hols pic rather than work badge 1
Heritage sites / sites of religious interest
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:56:56 AM »
Hi gang

Does anyone know if there are any good churches / monasteries etc to visit anywhere near Arillas?  I've been to some great ones elsewhere but if there are any about we'd like to see them...? 

Also, if there are does anyone know if they have problems letting women in etc - I've experienced that in a few places and then been really disappointed!

Thanks!

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Heritage sites / sites of religious interest
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
Hi Smoosh,

There is a monastery not too far away from Arillas up in Magaloudes.  Alas I've not visited it but perhaps another member will have.

Vlacherna Monastery is built on a small island linked by a narrow road to Kanoni. (just south of Corfu town)  Type Vlacherna into google to see some fantastic photos.

If you visit Vlacherna you can take a boat from Kanoni to the island of Pondikonissi (Mouse Island) to see an old chapel from the 11th or 12th century.

Moní Theotókou monastery at Paleokastritsa beautiful, the views from it are breathtaking. I highly recommend a visit there.

Information and some beautiful photos of churches can be found here...
http://www.greeka.com/greece-churches.htm

Eileenx

Offline smoosh

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Soon have a nice hols pic rather than work badge 1
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:40:40 AM »
Thanks Eileen, we'll have to make some enquiries about all those places and see which is the easiest to get to.  We're only there for a week and I've already organised two day trips for us!

Wonderful pictures on that site too - thanks!

:)

Maggie

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:42:20 PM »
Smoosh, If you can get transport to go up Mount Pantocrator, there's a lovely monastery there. They are in the process of doing it up, but it is worth seeing.

Booking.com