Author Topic: Arillas Today  (Read 3102873 times)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Arillas Today
« Reply #1080 on: March 06, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
You Guys
If Wegg reads these posts then very soon I will be in deep s**t. She will chastise me and beat me with thorns. So be quick and bury these replies under many posts to help me retain the quiet life I have been used too.

I popped back into Arillas this pm and had a rather nice Ouzo plus long chat with George at Malibu. ( Or was it a long ouzo and nice chat ? )
He's still fussing over that extension of his. If you are here this year then take time out to look at the carved olive wood he's used. I'm a great fan of wood and what he's done there is great. Each piece is like a bit of sculpture.

Sue - BG - I think that cow gets moved around every day to give the impression of a spaced out herd. " Herd of cows? - Course I have ! )

Negg

Negg

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #1081 on: March 07, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
The promised rain was received overnight and continued through the morning and although the sun tried it's best about an hour ago it's just started to rain again.

The picture may tell a different story but there's some big black clouds up there.

Picture taken from a very popular Forum members Villa.
We've had some very good days so can allow a couple of slightly bad ones.

The other niggle we have here is an Electric strike/Go slow. Call it what you will.
Power goes off for 3 hours in the morning ( 9-12 ) and then a couple of hours in the evening ( 7 - 9 ) When you're all electric and even the water is controlled by a pump it does cause a few problems. Fortunately Mon Amour have a generator, so had the pleasure of our company,yet again, last night.
Dimitris tells me this could go on till Wednesday. - Bummer!

And finally, yesterday, when we did get the power back, there must have been some sort of power surge and now the Sky box has ceased to function.
No electric to watch anything anyway.  -  All learning curves
( Wanna live in the sun ? - Gotta put up with a little sunburn now and again )
Cheers
Negg

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #1082 on: March 07, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »
Just a couple of pics taken during the power cut tonight.
About an hour after this we had a lttle thunder & lightning plus a downpour.
10:30 here now and it's cleared up quite well.

& here's the Negg & Wegg survival kit which gets us through these losses of electric

Note the Gas light, music player plus mini speakers a portable dvd player plus decent film. Not forgetting the wine & choc plus a flask of coffee just in case they forget to turn the power back on. ( Won't mention the cigarettes )
Cheers
Negg

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #1083 on: March 07, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »
Eggy that looks like my idea of a survival kit!  Although I'd miss out the ciggies and throw in another bar of chocolate. :-)

Eileenxx

riggers

« Reply #1084 on: March 07, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »
It's good to see you have got all these essentials to hand Eggy. No candles??.

Great night photos.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #1085 on: March 08, 2008, 12:46:45 AM »
I think Eggy was trying to replicate his memories of the blitz :-)

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #1086 on: March 08, 2008, 01:59:40 AM »
You're so organised.    got the most important things then wine and choccies!

good thing you havent got any jelly babies, you wouldnt know if you were eating the heads or the feet first in the dark.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #1087 on: March 08, 2008, 02:51:32 AM »
bg, what you can`t see, you can feel!
Lindypops.

Offline holliepos

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #1088 on: March 08, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »
('don't always WANT to see what I can feel!!)

Offline jennyandchris

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #1089 on: March 08, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
Oh, please don't stop. First time in ages my other half has come in to find out why the shout of laughter!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #1090 on: March 08, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
Blimey Eggy, where`s the food! Violin to serenade, and the 3 legged donkey. Cos if that`s all you offered Wegg, you should be talking the next leg off! xx
Lindypops.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #1091 on: March 10, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
Listen you lot. - Today is "Clean Monday" - It means that, over the weekend there were no power cuts as Carnivals were ongoing in various places and the members of the Electric Company probably attended so didn't want to upset anyone!

Actually "Clean Monday" is the equivalent of Lent on the Christian calender. It's a public holiday and loadsa families go the local beaches to fly a few kites and have a few drinks. A bit like a last binge before the fasting.
So, Arillas today was the busiest we've seen it for sometime.

The difference between a Greek Public Holiday and English one?
The Greek one is where you decide where to go and get there painlessly.
( Not sat on a Motorway somewhere )

Pictures tell it all, we hope.

At one point we counted 15 kites flying away merrily but the camera did not pick them up very well at all.

Horizon and Helens Creperie were open for drinks and meze and doing a good trade.
Saw Dimitris, Brouklis  and Akis from Mathraki. Akis very tired but then he has been awake all night setting up & doing whatever needed to be done with the new webcam.
Ended up with "Alcohol Dimitris" and Family for drinks and a very nice meze of Octopus and pickled sardines in a very nice vinegar dressing plus some small but very feisty peppers.
(Alcohol Dimitris is our neighbour & the guy who delivers beers etc to the Bars/Hotels)
Had a walk down to the naturist beach. The rocks are looking OK but a little kelp on the beach due to the last 2 days bad weather. That will clear though very soon.

And .... We think we found Vivians's sunbed, all set up and ready for her visit.

A less hectic and peaceful photo is the one we took driving down into Arillas today.

And finally...... We enjoyed watching the Corfu Town Carnival on Greek TV last night. Today they were showing another Carnival taking place so I took a picture off the TV
Just a thought.

Avliotes Carnival tonight. We're told it's going to be packed - 1000 plus people.
Cheers All
Negg

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #1092 on: March 10, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
Good Photos again Eggy, and it was interesting that you mentioned "Clean Monday". I had no idea what this was about but found an interesting website here ......

http://www.spetsesdirect.com/annual_events_national_holidays/clean_monday

Is your Sat Box working again?

TerryW

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #1093 on: March 10, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
Thank you Eggy for another fab report.  It was the next best thing to being there.

Eileenx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #1094 on: March 10, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »
Great report Eggy...I'm looking forward to going home to see the piccies.
Sandy x

Booking.com