Author Topic: To haggle or not??  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Rugbymad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
To haggle or not??
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:48:48 PM »
Is it the done thing to haggle in Corfu?
Or does everybody pay the marked price?
Or is there times when you do and times when you don't?
thanks peeps.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
Re: To haggle or not??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:54 PM »
The only times It worked for me, and on small items, was Corfu Town and at the end of September.
And only for items of pottery and some clothing. But... doesn't hurt to ask.
So end of season is a good time to try
Ask for discount if you buy, say 2000 cigs, and you may get a free lighter
A place in Sidari used to give you a flight bag to carry your cigs in, but only if you bought 3200.
We managed to get 300 euro off the price of our car but it was very hard work.

But, when I recently asked for discount on a computer desk all I got was a smile as she rung up the full price.
Negg

Offline neilelaine

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »
I found the prices in Arillas and the smaller towns and villages very reasonable. Corfu town was a different story altogether. If something was 3-5 euros in Arillas it was 8-12 in Corfu town. The only time I haggled, and I wouldn't really call it haggling was when a shop in Corfu town wanted 30 euros for a memory card for my camera and I said "I'm not paying that price mate, I'll leave it" as I walked out he said he would do it at a special price, I offered him 15, he refused this and we ended settling on 20 which I thought was a reasonable price. I didn't really see much haggling over prices at all and if something came to say 10 euros 70cents many shopkeepers just said "for you, 10 euros only" which doesn't seem to happen over here in England much! I enjoy getting a bargain as much as the next person but if the price is reasonable I pay. I didn't buy off any street/beach vendors but I probably would of haggled if I had seen something I wanted off them.

Enjoy your Hols!

Neil.

Offline Lindypops

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »
I my opinion, prices in Arillas are ok with me. The locals are alway very reasonable, and I buy all the things I need there. I wouldn`t haggle in Arillas, only in larger cities/towns etc.
Lindypops.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:16:45 PM »
I wonder if I asked Dimitris for discount on the spit lamb if he would then remove a few peices and then say "Now it's cheaper!"
Negg.

I agree with Neilelaine & Lindy P. Arillas prices are very good so no need for discounts.
Corfu Town is another story.
Negg

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 02:36:59 AM »
Arillas prices are ok, because the local shops offer everyone a good deal.
Lindypops.

Offline harold

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 07:56:17 AM »
I agree with Lindypops good value at the local shops.
I dont believe in Haggling,if they can reduce the price like they do then its over priced in the first place and i would feel they are trying to rip me off and would go elsewhere.
Harold,
Theres only one Altrincham FC

Offline Rugbymad

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 10:47:50 AM »
Thankyou all once again,always handy to know these things before you go.The last holiday we went on was to Turkey and everybody haggles everywhere even for breakfast.

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »
Yes Rugby, I`ve been there and seen it. But in a lovely place like Arillas, with decent shopkeepers etc, I personally think I would be offending good Greek people. Their hospitality knows no bounds, and they are always pleasant, reliable and kind. I like a bargain myself, but for me, Arillas is not the place! You won`t need to haggle, all the prices are very fair.
Lindypops.

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
We have always managed to get jewellery a little cheaper but it depends where you go.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 10:41:15 PM »
Answer = Not to Haggle.

I could not haggle in any of the shops in Arillas. How many places could you go to buy something, and find that you don't have enough money with you, and be told  "just bring the extra money in tomorrow". That is what makes  Arillas a special place, it is something that is priceless and long may it continue.

Terry

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
No need to haggle in my opinion.
Lindypops.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 11:13:25 AM »
I agree no need to haggle, the prices are good already.  Its different if you go to Turkey in the markets..."5 bags for 10 euros... cheap as Asda etc. etc.  genuine fake!" or even Egypt... they expect you to do it.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline MattB

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »
Interesting debate on haggling - we visited last week and felt we had a bad experience in one location, could this have been because we didn't haggle perhaps?  I don't want to mention what happened and where as I've only just registered on the board.

Matt

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 10:15:53 AM »
MattB you have to tell us there may have been a good reason behind it

Jill
Jill XXX

Booking.com