Author Topic: Toilet Paper  (Read 13683 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Toilet Paper
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:48:54 PM »
I know this is a bit of a sticky subject, but the only thing I am glad to be home for, is to be able to put paper down the loo again. Travel companies never tell you about the toilet paper "thing" and it comes as a bit of a shock on the first visit to a Greek loo, and you are sitting there looking for the bin.

I am always puzzled as to why you can put the paper in some toilets and not in others, and this is sometimes in the same building, or has someone forgot to put the sticker on the wall. That face on the cartoon cystern always looks very angry.

I bet that most people who read this post have put paper into the toilet, whilst on holiday, either from habit or just because the thought of putting it into a bin is too hard to cope with.

Does anyone know if the sewage pipes ever get blocked up?

Do new developments have larger diameter pipes installed?

Just one final observation.  The standard of toilets in Hotels and Tavernas are very high and they are always spotlessly clean and often have flowers etc.

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
Re: Toilet Paper
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:15:43 PM »
I'm worried about you, Terryw - do you spend a lot of time photographing blackboards and loos....???
Sorry - not called for!
I always try to use the bin provided, but have been known to forget, especially after a few glasses of wine....
Another question regarding toilet paper - when we've been self catering before, toilet paper was always provided; this year at Kaloudis there was some when we first arrived but it was not replenished.
Is this normal practice?

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:18:42 PM »
I think so,  you always get the first complimentary loo roll then the rest is up to you.

It took me a week after I got back not to feel guilty about putting the loo paper down the loo!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 08:08:29 PM »
"Sticky Subject" - I like that TerryW - "2nd chuckle of the day ( After the bike)
Unless anything's changed if you are requested not to flush paper and you ignore it and you block the system then you are liable for the cost of un-blocking it. Whether Appt owners would charge you for this is up to them. Most greek pipework here is 10mm which is too small to take any tissues and other things we take for granted in England. Some appt owners take it for granted that you know not to flushh the paper. New builds can use 15mm pipework but if in doubt then ask.
Even with our place in Kavadaddes we chose the option of bins because we are not on drainage and also have a septic tank. The less paper and bits that find their way to the tank the less number of times we have to empty it.
I beleive it's much healthier this way and we have got used to it very quickly. It's amazing but the bins never smell. Maybe it's a British hangup with Poo!
(On holiday for 2 weeks was the biggest problem as, for 3/4 days,after returning home I was still throwing used tissues into an invisible bin in the corner of the bathroom)
=== Not really but can you imagine the look on your wifes/partners face if we did!!!!??
Negg

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:02:39 PM »
I`m no plumber but Hope thats a typing error Eggy!  10mm !!! Have difficulty in passing a polo mint..
Yer getting to much sun
;-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:24:54 AM »
Kes
Spot the deliberate mistake eh?
Negg

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
Too much ouzo again Eggy?
Sandy x

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 11:17:48 AM »
Eggy

I think 10mm could have been Ok. Wine, Ouzo and eye of a needle come to mind!!!

Thanks for the information, but just one more question. What are the "toilet" bins emptied into and where do the contents end up?

Sorry to keep asking you all these questions, but I like your answers.

Terry

Offline Cheryl2307

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 11:17:58 AM »
You do get used to it very quickly - I always take nappy sacks with me to put the paper in!  So the bathroom always smells of baby powder.  I also use these cos I feel sorry for the person who has to empty the bins and think this just makes it a bit more bearable for them.
Cheryl O

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »
I like that idea Cheryl, we also take baby wipes, that way you dont have to use as much loo roll.

What a funny subject to be discussing haha!!

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 12:08:46 PM »
Same here Smiffy, we always take Andrex Wet Wipes for the same reason, plus my wifes doctor told her that they help prevent piles. Hopes that not too much information.

Did you know that Wet Wipes are the first things that go into Robbie Williams suitcase when he goes away on tour.

Anyway Smiffy get on with your work!!!!!!

Terry

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 12:28:39 PM »
The bags are put into the waste bins dotted around the area. Where they go after that is a mystery. Probably have to pick Dimitris' brain on this one.
Can you get a better conversation when you're ordering your evening meal???
Negg

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 12:38:20 PM »
Hmmm - strange subject to be talking about, but I'm very glad it was brought up!  It's the sort of question everyone wants to know but no-one seems to talk about.
Well done Terryw!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
I always try to consider the people who clean the rooms, and pop our rubbish in the bins outside. Easy enough, just on the way when we go out.
Lindypops.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 02:08:27 PM »
Well i never, pile prevention and Robbie William's secrets all in one post, we're loving your knowledge Terry!!

Im glad im preventing those nasty things occuring then haha!!

No, id rather be on here Terry :-D !!

Booking.com