Author Topic: crash helmets.  (Read 5723 times)

Offline simo

crash helmets.
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:25:27 AM »
hi, does any body know if the local police are clamping down on the wearing of crash helmets this year ?
" LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE YOU ARE BUSY MAKING OTHER PLANS"

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Re: crash helmets.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »
Hello Simo,

See the thread in :  Arillas general information > Car, Bike and Boat rentals > New Laws June 1st

Life is good ;)

Offline Marika

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • With love!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »

Hi! Yes the local police are clamping down on to wear helmets!
If I was in June there, the police stopped me at the crossroad in Arillas.
I had luck, they only had strong words to me, but normal it must be very expensive, I hurt!
So, better is to wear helmets, because there is more police on the road than the last year(s).
Marika

www.marika75.webs.com

Maggie

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
When we were there in June/July, most people were wearing crash helmets. Some of the locals don't but as I understand it, thats cos theyre not going far???? If you hire a bike I'm sure you will be told to wear helmets, also if you hire a car, they will tell you to use the seatbelts. Even the locals do that.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:44:24 PM »
Even if it wasnt the law, id still wear a helmet, its not worth running the risk of getting injured, may not be through your fault but someone elses on the road, as you have no control over what they do.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »
Thanks go to Skyliss for this bit of printed law. Viv

a) No use of safety belts by driver & passengers (the penalty goes to driver): 350€ & taking your licence for 10 days. In case of a Taxi the passenger of the front seat will be charged with 700€ and the penalty goes to passenger!

b) Use of mobile-phone by driver (without bluetooth): 100€ & taking your licence for 30 days.

c) no lights turned on inside tunnels: 200€

d) driving within emergency lane: 200€

e) overspeeding by 30kms of the speed-limit at Motorways (Max.=130km/h): 350€

f) Alcohol (depending on quantity in blood): 200-1200€ & taking your licence for up to 6 months

g) non stoping at STOP sign: 700€

h) No use of Helmet by motorists: 350€ & taking your licence for 10 days

IMPORTANT: Especially for Helmets as I saw many mistakes even by Greeks at the other post, REMEMBER!, the law has changed 3 years ago when you only had to "carry" helmet with you. Now YOU HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET. If you tell the police "I had my helmet in my elbow" you still get penalty and they take your licence.

I think you have most of what we need to know there, if any perticular questions, I will ask him for you. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Marika

• Forum Fanatic
  • With love!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 07:23:58 PM »
Wow Viv!
This is very exact information!
I know that all the things very expensive, but now I know how expensive!
Puhhh! Than I had a lot of luck! :-)
Marika

www.marika75.webs.com

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
Hmmmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could be time to move to Albania then?
Negg

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:28:03 PM »
Surely youre not breaking any of those laws are you Eggy???!!!!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 03:50:46 PM »
Well ! -,You can very easily fall into the laid back way of things here.
Last night about 8.30 I came round the bend, at Kavadaddes, and further on down there were 2 Police cars plus a couple of stopped cars. Hmmmm! Quickly braking,outside the local Kafenio I managed to have a quick chat with the owner, who was outside, whilst conveniently and hopefully unobserved, slipped the 'ole seat belt on.
They never stopped me so I don't know what all the "HooHah" was about.
Went to Corfu Town this morning and saw double the amount of Police cars that you usually see. Yes - I saw 2 police cars. I lost count of the number of bike drivers without crash helmets and on the way back, through Skripero, 6 cars in front of me and the car in front went through the red lights!! Solid red lights, none of yer 'ole amber here.
Two even hooted because we had stopped. You think you've seen everything until you're at red traffice lights watching cars overtake you. I think it will take some time for the Greeks to observe all the new laws. I also think that when they do it will be their idea, the drivers, and nobody elses. They will all want to drive better and be the  "bestest" & most polite driver in Corfu.
It will be a case of "After You" - no!!- "After You"
( Anyone seen a flying pig??? )

Noufri @ Brouklis is currenly the safest & best driver in Corfu - So he tells me.
and... Dimitris' tyres never wear out as most of the time they're not touching the ground. ( Does that comment mean we've lost table 2 tonight?? )
Cheers
Negg

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 04:02:08 PM »
So you were only worried about the seat belt Eggy....not the amount of ouzo you had drunk during the day???????
Sandy x

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 04:38:50 PM »
Probably reverted back to "English Theory" at that point Sandy.
That is " Don't give 'em an excuse to stop you !"
I was just coming back from Eileens, after getting those pesky hinges, which I have to add I should be doing now. - Only had 2 small cans of beer from 7:30.
During the day don't count. When you're working in this heat you may have a couple but you supplement them with a considerable amount of water.
I have never drunk so much water in my whole life.!!!!!!!!
Stay Well
Negg

Booking.com