Author Topic: Sun Tan  (Read 9441 times)

Offline John B

• Holiday in Heaven
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
Sun Tan
« on: June 03, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »
Hi Everone,

We all try our best when on holiday to get the best tan we can without burning.
I have burned in the past and it's not pleasent.
Has anyone the best advice on what factor to use to prevent burning and peeling when you get home. Is it better to start high and then reduce during the holiday.
Does anyone use a secret remedy, I once met a girl who used olive oil and vinegar.
I tried it but would never do it again.

Janine = John

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
Re: Sun Tan
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
A lot will depend on your skin type but it's always best to start with a high factor the first week and then go lower. The best way to avoid peeling I find is to use plenty of moisturiser after your shower. Good luck!
Sandy x

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
We always start on factor 15 for a day or two and then factor 8 and then down to factor 4.

Use plenty of aftersun after you shower aswell.

I have been shopping today and couldn't find any factor 4 in the lotion that we use.  I think we are being encouraged to use the higher factors. ;)

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:45:19 PM »
I always used to take low factors in my 'youth' but in recent years I have stuck to factor 15 all the time and find that I go home browner than ever and never burn.  I am very fair skinned so was ultra paranoid about the dreaded big C. 

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 11:17:11 PM »
It's almost impossible to find factor 4 in the UK now but there is the odd bottle in Arillas.....
Sandy x

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:18:15 AM »
I cant believe I used to use olive oil and vinegar when I was a teenager,  no wonder we had loads of cats about... I smelt like a chip shop..  We use about a 20/15 for the first first week and go down to an 8.  I also exfoliate with a body scrub and use loads of after sun and that helps too.    Mike likes the Banana Boat oil, he calls it "bronzer" thinking that is what turns him brown, but I have to make sure he uses a high factor as he works outside too so is exposed to the sun a bit too much.  As I am getting older I am finding it just a tad too hot sometimes!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:08:51 AM »
I bought some banana boat oil yesterday so will have to keep an eye on it.

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:41:18 AM »
Like Jo, I used lower factors in my youth, but now stick with 15 all the time (it does save on luggage!)  - having said that, I've just been to check, and found that my current Avon insect repellent is a 30.  Maybe I'm being over-cautious!?  I also use their bronze anti-ageing face moisture cream which is good.  (As well as SSS and after-sun!)  And no, I'm not a rep for Avon, lol
lynn :)

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »
My secret is, i go for a couple of 8 minute sessions on the sunbed to give me a slight base tan, then i use factor 30 for 2 days, then factor 15 for 2 days and then factor 8 for the remainder of the week, i take the sachets of suncream so ive no need to worry about weight of bottles.

When i do the sunbed first i never burn anymore whereas i used to, i came home with a lovely golden colour, the boys at work all commented on what a lovely colour i had.

Offline Smiffypink

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
Sorry forgot to say, i saw factor 4 suncream in Tescos, its the Banana Boat range in a silver bottle, dont know if that helps anyone whos after factor 4??

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 01:55:05 PM »
I usually start off with factor 30 and then down to 15, Maybe down to 10 by the end of the holiday.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »
I used to go to the sunbeds once a week for a month before went on holiday... but not now...  I have a SSS sun glow  spray which I will use starting next week..... and build it up... Its quite good as it reaches parts you cant reach!!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »
Im so lucky, I dont have to use any creams or sprays, and im Bobby's colour icon. ;-) Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »
My lily white scadinavian skin tends to burn easily, so in the beginning of the holiday  I use factor 20 and after couple of days come down to 15. I think I used factor 2 if anything when I was young and oh so stupid *shivers*
Life is good ;)

Booking.com