Author Topic: Exploring Corfu - Festivals in June, Historical sites?  (Read 5223 times)

Offline nickb

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Exploring Corfu - Festivals in June, Historical sites?
« on: May 25, 2007, 10:38:48 AM »
Its a long time since I first went to corfu and must confess to spending the time in the Tavernas and on the Beach, older and wiser Myself and My fiancee would like to soak up the culture and history of the islands.

Has any body got any recommendations.  Arilas sounds fantastic and we are looking forward to our visit in July.

Offline Lozicle

• Arillas Addict
  • That's me :)
    • http://www.myspace.com/lozicle
Re: Exploring Corfu - Festivals in June, Historical sites?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:35 AM »

I'd really recomend a visit to Angelokastro. Click here for more info :D

Offline Mango

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »
nickb

The monestry at Paleokastrisa (sorry about the spelling) is worth a visit. 

Also Corfu town at night is brilliant.

Amanda

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
the old fortress in corfu town is a must to visit,achillion palace,you could take a trip to the world heritage site at butrint in albania,it's really good,you could also take the short boat trip to vidos island from the old port in corfu town

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:40:35 PM »
Old Perithia, dosent sound very exciting when you say a deserted village but really worth going to have a look. We expected a little knocked down hamlet and to spend 1/2hr or so there. Instead we found a wonderful wolk and world of history full of it's own and spent 3 hrs there which could have been longer except that it was a cool day. Will be putting some photo's up soon. Will let you know when I have done so. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
Goodness, the mountain reminded me of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"!

Joking apart, we also want to get out and about for a few days in the middle of our fortnight, especially as it will be our first visit to Corfu.  We love excursions into historical places, so will consider anything on here, provided we can still find time for Arillas Beach!!!

Do I take it from one of the above posts that it is possible to get a boat trip to Albania for the day?
lynn

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 01:02:31 AM »
I think there must be a link somewhere.  If you type in Albania in the search something should come up, someone must have been there and left a review.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 01:48:49 AM »
Goodness, the mountain reminded me of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"!

Joking apart, we also want to get out and about for a few days in the middle of our fortnight, especially as it will be our first visit to Corfu.  We love excursions into historical places, so will consider anything on here, provided we can still find time for Arillas Beach!!!

Do I take it from one of the above posts that it is possible to get a boat trip to Albania for the day?
lynn

yes you can take a day trip to albania,the trip to the world heritage site is optional,you get a tour guide for the world heritage site,but really there's nothing else to see in albania,it really is a day trip,you get the bus around 6.30am in arillas,returning about 10.30pm, to arillas,you can book this trip in either of the travel shops,as they're agents for ionian cruises who organize these trips,if you decide to go,take plenty of bottled water with you as there isn't a cafe or shop at the world heritage site,also a sunhat,i went last september,and it was about 30 degrees,i'll put a few photos up

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
Ther are some photo@s of Albania on our website www.holmvalley.com  Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 11:46:29 AM »
Thanks a lot, burger, for all that info, very helpful!

Hi Viv, took a look at your photos, they are very good.  Colin was looking over my shoulder and has fallen in love with your dog!  (Actually, our own mutt could probably do with more training!)
Cheers!

Booking.com