Author Topic: Logging in  (Read 3957 times)

Offline mumsy2

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
Logging in
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:32:28 AM »
Hi,

I updated my system, last week, which meant all my bookmarks went.  Since then I have to log in every time I want to use the forum, before I only had to do it every so often.  I put that I wanted to be logged in forever just to see if that would make any difference but it did not. Also I want to register on the chat line but it wont accept me, I promise I haven't been naughty.   Marie

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Logging in
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:43:03 PM »
Hi,

I promise I haven't been naughty.   Marie

Marie I believe you!  Sometimes I've been left sitting on the naughty step too until my settings sort themselves out...well I'm hardly likely to be able to sort it out myself it just seems to 'work' again!
I'm sure one of our knowledgable helpers will be able to help you soon...

Eileenx

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 10:46:28 AM »
Marie

I am no computer expert but have had similar problems.

Not too sure about this but if you are you using Internet Explorer click on Tools...Internet Options.... Security....Custom Level.  Then scroll down to bottom of list....to User Authentication.   What is the setting ?

Mine is set to the the 2nd one and I have no problem.   Maybe yours is set to the 1st or 4th (anonymous or prompt) ?  If you don't want to change anything always back out using Cancel at each window.

As for losing your favourites that is nuisance and may need a someone with a very good knowledge of computers to sort it without really messing up your computer. I think it means changing your the Registry settings but I say DON'T go there unless you know what you are doing!  The chances are that the Windows Registry setting has changed so Windows doesn't find the correct folder.

However you can at least easily check if the Favourites folder is empty.  Click on START then choose Search.  Now choose All Files and Folders ....then in the top box type Favorites ....note it is the US spelling without the "U".   When the results come up you will hopefully see one which says Documents and Settings etc   with your name (if several people log on to your computer).

Double click on that entry and see if your favourites are still there.   If so then you need further advice on how to restore the link in the Registry (not me). 

To reduce the problem in future I suggest you make a backup of the Favorites folder either on CD or elsewhere on your hard Disc. I have a folder called BACKUPS (wonder why ?) for such things !!   I lost mine a month ago after a computer crash but luckily was able to copy the last backup file straight in.

Another alternative as a backup facility is a web-site called http://www.ikeepbookmarks.com/home  where you upload all your Favourites free of charge, as a backup.  If you do, then write the address down, and don't just pop it in your Favourites. This site comes in useful for anyone who using Internet cafes.

Dennis

Offline Eileen

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »
Marie

Another alternative as a backup facility is a web-site called http://www.ikeepbookmarks.com/home  where you upload all your Favourites free of charge, as a backup.  If you do, then write the address down, and don't just pop it in your Favourites. This site comes in useful for anyone who using Internet cafes.

Dennis

I have recently started using an external bookmark manager.  The great thing about it is that I can access my favourites from any computer, also I don't have to fret about losing all my favourites that have taken years to build up.
You can read about it here http://del.icio.us/about/

Eileen.

Offline mumsy2

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »
Thank you all for your advice.  I did not realise I had to back these book marks up.  I backed up my files ready for my son to update my system.  I didnt query anything with him.  I run on Linux, so the windows info wont apply to me tho, thanks all the same.  There is probably something similar, but I'm not going to interfere with it until my son comes home again.  I will definitely look into the external bookmarks tho, and make a note of the address etc.,  Thanks.  Marie

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 11:27:48 AM »
Regarding your computer not remembering its previous settings such as your Arillas login, this will be down to your cookie settings. Besides being a rather delicious biscuit a 'cookie' is a little bit of information a website leaves on your computer so next time you visit the site loads up faster and remembers who you are. Over time these build up on your computer and become redundant or security issues so there are filters in place to block and remove them, sometimes these can be over zealous and block useful sites to. Settings are different for every machine but check in Control Panel/Internet Options that cookies are not blocked.

If this still causes issues, Windows is deliberately not remembering passwords, this will be a firewall or anti-virus setting, as indicated in a previous post carefully reduce your security settings until things improve.

Booking.com