Author Topic: Day Trips  (Read 6741 times)

Offline pg32

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Day Trips
« on: January 18, 2007, 05:10:37 PM »
Hi All!

Just wondered what peoples favourite day trips were while staying in Arillas? I fancy visiting other little islands and just generally do abit of exploring.

Offline Mango

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
Re: Day Trips
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »
Hi pg32

We have done the trip to Aqualand which is fantastic if  you like water and slides.  We have been a few times now and it is great, one tip though, you are better off going in the middle of the week when the kids are at school cos weekends get busy.

We have also done the pony trekking with Arillas travel, this again was an experience, but an enjoyable one, my seven year old daughter just loved it.  They take you along the beaches and through the olive groves.

We have done Corfu town shopping, to me this is an absolute must.  Again one tip, you are better off going in the evening as Corfu town can be swealtering in the day.  In the evening it is still hot but does cool a little.  One place to visit there is the roof top restaurant at one of the big hotels, the views are spectacular (not sure of the name of the hotel, maybe someone reading may be able to tell you) and also the fort is worth a visit.

We have done a boat trip to Paliocastricia (sorry about the spelling).  I am not sure whether they still do this now as we originally booked it through Thompsons.  This is a lovely village with the working monestry that you can visit.

Can't think of anything else at the moment but may I suggest you book all trips through Arillas travel rather than the tour operators as it is much cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Mango

Offline pg32

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 01:48:18 PM »
Thanks Mango!

I want to go to the water park but the wife is not keen! The roof top restaurant sounds great along with Paliowhatever its called!! We will definately go to Corfu town as my wife's sister is a shopaholic! Thank again for the info!

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:33:01 AM »
when i was in arillas in september last year,i booked my trips through arillas travel,i went to corfu town twice,the first time was in the morning,i explored the old fort,the view is amazing from the top where the lighthouse is,i also went on the parga/paxos trip,a lot of the time is spent travelling,you get about an hour or so at each place,i also went on the trip to albania,but you must go on the trip to the world heritage site if you do this trip it's really good,and costs a little bit more,but there's nothing else in sarande to see,that part of albania is mostly a big building site,gearing up for tourism soon,i also went on the evening trip to kassiopi,the second this time evening trip to corfu town i went on the kalypso star-glass bottomed boat,in my opinion not worth it,i was disappointed as it's only a small boat and very cramped,i took the opportunity that evening to go on the shuttle boat to vidos island.in corfu town jusy over the road from where the buses park,there's plenty of shops to look around and buy gifts from,i didn't want to venture too far in case i got lost in the alleyways,myself+ friends also hired a car for a week from arillas carhire,and explored,we went to palekastritsa,you must go via the mountain pass, if you go and stop off at bella vista viewpoint,the views are truly amazing,in paleo you can visit the blue caves by boat,i chickened out of that one as i can't swim and the boats look very old and small,of course closer to base you've got san stephanos with it's lovely beach,there's lots to do when you're there,enjoy yourself,i certainly did

Offline pg32

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:26:03 PM »
Thanks Burger!

I was thinking of going to Paxos but did not realise the travelling time. We are going to hire a car but just whenever we fancy going somewhere as i think alot of our time will be spent 'local' so it would be a waste of money hiring a car for a whole week as it may only get used twice maybe three times!

Offline burger

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »
you can hire a car for a single day if that suits your needs better,just we hired for a week,you can hire cars from arillas travel also,i know arillas rent a car are excellent,their rates are very good and fully inclusive of cdw,i took the car back filthy,loads of sand inside,i tried to find a vacuum to clean it out, but it seems the greeks don't have vacuums,even at the local garage,i felt guilty but it wasn't a problem,they were very understanding,and no extra charges for that either,unlike the bigger operators such as hertz,and you're giving the local businesses the money nstead of larger operators

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »
Hi All!

Just wondered what peoples favourite day trips were while staying in Arillas? I fancy visiting other little islands and just generally do a bit of exploring.

I agree with Burger that it is worth hiring a car for a day or 2.  Even if you don't go far it enables you to visit some lovely places and authentic Greek villages.

As for the drive to Paleokastritsa this is a MUST but go via Agios Georgios, then Pagi, Prinillas and up over the TOP to Makrades. The views northwards from above Prinillas are breathtaking.  As Burger says the drive down from Makrades to Paleo past the Bella Vista is also superb.

Might I also suggest a boat trip to Erikousa island from San Stefanos harbour booked through San Stefano Travel. This gives you about 4 hours there...OK for a meal and a swim but not really time for exploring far.

Dennis

Booking.com