Author Topic: Webcam  (Read 9453 times)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Webcam
« on: August 18, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »
What does 'Beaufort' mean please?? Is this a blonde moment or are other people confused about this term?

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
Re: Webcam
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:18:35 PM »
Hi Jo,

I knew that it was the scale for measuring wind, but I looked up google for a more specific answer:

The Beaufort scale is an empirical measure for describing wind intensity based mainly on observed sea conditions. Its full name is the Beaufort wind force scale.

Starting from 0 corresponding to calm, the Beaufort scale ascends to light air at 1, light breeze at 2, gentle breeze at 3, moderate breeze at 4, fresh breeze at 5, strong breeze at 6, near gale at 7, gale at 8, strong gale at 9, storm at 10, violent storm at 11, and hurricane at 12.

I think for my evening meal on the seafront I prefer it to be under 3 on the scale!!

Eileenxx

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:28:13 PM »
Thanks Eileen, I will sleep easy tonight haha! Judging by my new-found knowledge, i would say that Lancashire is currently Beaufort 8!!  Also, i think I have asked this before, but what is the script with your villa? Have you built it yourself, where exactly is it, are you letting it out or are you being the envy of us all and moving there to live?? Phew, hope you can cope with all that! Did you see us in Arillas as we were there ans saw Marie and her mum as well.

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »
Hi Jo,

Is your youngest son Harry?  If so it was my grandson Liam who followed Harry around!.  Liam would not let us eat our evening meals in peace as he was always hurrying us up and wanting to get along to see Harry!

We bought the land a couple of years ago, the building works started last May and our first guests arrived on the 2nd June this year.

It is up by a little road just past the Tria Adelphia, you can see here...  http://www.villalinakis.com/map.htm

We have been very fortunate to have taken many bookings and judging by the entries in the guest book at the villa everyone has enjoyed it very much.  Last week we had the first space in bookings and that is why my daughter and I went over with Liam, it was great just to relax, enjoy the villa and have a holiday ...sheer bliss.

The idea is to let the villa out, then later on once Keith and I have finished working we can split our time between our home here in Scotland and Arillas.  LOL, but now that I've been over and stayed in it I just want to sell up and move over completely!!!  Oh, well I've only been back a week so I'm still allowed to dream....

Click on the link below to see the villa.  The photos which I took last week should be uploaded onto the website over the next week.

Eileenxx

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:33:23 PM »
Eileen,

Can't wait to see the pictures, as I said to you previously last time I was in Arillas I had a quick glance on the way past but would loved to have had a closer look. Seeing your villa I can totally understand why you would want to move out there permanently, wouldn't mind spending a week there next year myself :-)

Joe

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 06:44:38 PM »
Joe,

I'll let you know when the pictures are uploaded. 

It's a pity you didn't manage to see it last time, but you were only over for a few days and we all know how time flies.  I never get around to doing half of what I intend to do on holiday.

I read elsewhere that you are over at Christmas, if you are still there over the New Year you must come up and 'first foot' us.  That will help  you make your mind up if you want to spend a week there;-)

Eileenx

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 03:39:46 PM »
Thanks Eileen,

I will definately have a look at Christmas, should be arriving 24th December and staying for about a week, got a brilliant deal on flights through work but I have to change twice at Zurich & Athens (argh!!). Hopefully I will be there for New Year but may need to come back just before for work.

Joe

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »
Joe,

We are hoping to get over on the 28th Dec.  At the moment our best option seems to be KLM, Edinburgh-Amsterdam-Athens.  Aegean flight times are the most compatible for the connection to Corfu...not forgetting to mention their prices are best too!

There are the Christmas special flights flying direct from Manchester or Gatwick direct to Corfu, but the schedule is not usually issued until at the earliest the end of September.

Also we could fly AirScotland, Glasgow-Athens.

The attraction of flying KLM is that we are not restricted to particular flying days as we would be with the others.

Anyway whichever way we get there, we hope to see you in Arillas!

Eileen.

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 02:10:52 PM »
Hi Eileen,

KLM were my second choice, they do have some great deals at the moment. This time I’m flying with Swiss and changing to Aegean at Athens, worked it so the connections are all pretty good and I’m hopefully not waiting too long anywhere, a problem I seem to encounter every time I use Olympic (such awful flight times). It’s a shame Swiss don’t fly to your neck of the woods.

The Christmas Charters are back on again (we did one last year) but you are correct in thinking they have not been finalised yet, around 17-20th December outbound and 28th Dec – 4th Jan inbound, mostly from Gatwick and Manchester. Looking at current tax levies and charges I would be surprised if the fares are under £200 each way, ouch!

Christmas in Corfu, sounds strange and it will be the first time I have ever been out of the UK on Christmas day.

Hopefully see you there
Joe

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »
My mind boggles Joe!

I had a look at the Swiss.com website to check the prices & timetable for Manchester-Zurich-Athens then had to tie the times in with Aegean, Athens-Corfu...I think I need a drink now!

There are some really good prices there, ok the cheapest do have some hanging around times, but for the money saved I would seriously consider driving down to Manchester. We are thinking about taking our grandson with us in December so perhaps this would not be the wisest way to get to Corfu this time, but I will certainly keep Swiss.com in mind for the future if it is just Keith and I travelling.

I'm sure that a couple of years ago the Christmas charters went out for 2 weeks at Christmas and 1 week at New Year, but going by what you have said it looks as though there is only the 14day option.

Christmas in Corfu, sounds strange and it will be the first time I have ever been out of the UK on Christmas day.

Just remember to send a letter to Santa letting him know where to find you!

Eileenx

Offline Joe

• Forum Fanatic
    • Thomas Cook Airlines
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 03:34:51 PM »
If it helps you save money in the future the flights we found are (I paid about £210 for everything below):

24th Dec
0845  Siwss Flight: LX391         MAN - ZRH (Arriving 1150)
1150  Swiss Flight: LX1838       ZRH - ATH (Arriving 1635)
1830  Aegean Flight: A3-406    ATH - CFU (Arriving 1930)

29th Dec
1125  Aegean Flight: A3-403    CFU - ATH (Arriving 1225)
1415  Swiss Flight: LX831         ATH - ZRH (Arriving 1605)
1705  Swiss Flight: LX380         ZRH - MAN (Arriving 1810)

Phew! The connections do seem tight but Swiss guarantee conections of 40 minutes at Zurich so hopefully it will work out, it took the work computers quite a while to turn out this route (enough to make your head explode) but it is by far the best I have seen for times.

Joe

I'm hoping to get a hire car for Christmas, better get writing now ;-)

Offline Marie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 11:51:04 AM »
Hi Eileen and Jo!

yes Eileen you are right that was Jo's son, my mum kept saying does Eileen no who Jo is i was saying yes she must do the keep seeing eachother, my mum would say tell Eileen that thats Jo ,no mom she must no! but once again my mum was right i should of asked you if you both knew who eachother was then you could of had a chat 2!!! :)
maybe next time!

marie xx

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 12:16:48 PM »
Now you Marie you really should have listened to your mum...Mums really do know best!!  LOL...LOL...LOL!

I wished I had known it was Jo.  Liam still talks about Harry!

Eileenx

Offline jericlin2

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
  • Jericlin
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 12:49:15 PM »
Hi
Beaufort is wind speed scale indicating the general speed or force of the wind, just like you have the richter scale that indicates the severity of an earthquake.
The lower the number the lower the force.
Hope that makes sense. If you want to find out more try googling " Beafort Scale "
Cheers
Jericlin

Offline Marie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 11:17:09 PM »
I'm sorry
i really should of listened to her!!! i shouted at her and said she must know look they r talking!!!

marie xx

Booking.com