Author Topic: Martin, from recycling  (Read 6825 times)

Offline jalal

Martin, from recycling
« on: October 31, 2019, 05:24:33 PM »
Today I heard the sad news that Martin has passed away at about 7am this morning.

Many of you may have known him from the Arillas recycling center, which he has been running through the summer. He had just moved here from the UK and was excited to be making a new life in Corfu. He was always upbeat and cheerful and I enjoyed chatting to him. He will be sadly missed.

He had a stroke a week ago and has been in the ICU at Corfu hospital, his family had flown over to be with him for the last few days.

I have heard there will be a funeral in Kavvadades on Sunday at 11am.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
Re: Martin, from recycling
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »
Terrible news .  You save all your life to get a dream move abroad and then this, shocking …...
Was he a member on here?
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:45:09 PM »
Really terrible news and still find it very hard to beleive. He quickly became a valued member of the community with his friendly attitude and willingness to sit and have a chat. - Using his free time , at the re-cylce centre , earned him not only more respect but became an incentive to many of us for "dumping yer rubbish" and having a chat or two. My thoughts are not only with his family but that super cannine pal of his who "luvved him to bits" which , of course was repaid by Martin..... One of the good guys. - Fate has a lot to answer for.
Neill

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about this, only spoke to him twice but seemed a really nice chap. RIP Martin.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Scottishyannis

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
 Was that the gent who lived opposite the recycling centre-next door to Leszek and Angie?

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »
He did live next to Leszek n Angie and was often seen walking that super dog of his. - He also did the Tria Adelphia Summer quiz nights.
I am sure that many of you would have seen him. - A very likeable character.
Negg

Offline M n M

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Arillas Addict
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 06:40:21 PM »
I am really sorry to hear this, we saw Martin at the end of October with Mister and could not imagine not seeing him next year. Rest in peace Martin.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 01:14:45 PM »

He was such a good laugh and will be sadly missed
We met at the Tria Quiz nights

R.I.P  Mate

Kevin & Beverly

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 02:37:26 PM »
A very hard morning , not just for me , but for all, that attended his passing , this morning. I never realised how much respect this guy had....
.... until I saw so many people arrive to wish him a bon voyage.
A sad day, but with so many rallying around it eased the pain a tad. - He will be missed by so many.
"Good on yer Cobbler"
Negg

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 09:41:39 PM »
Hi
Neil.
I never knew the guy, but admiration to somebody who moved to foreign climes and adopted the local way of life.
I understand he was not allowed to be buried in the the village he lived and supported.
Why was he not allowed to be buried in Arillas?
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
I haven't heard that , Geoff , so can't comment. I don't do any Corfu Facebooks, etc , so no idea who generated that, or where the info came from
Negg

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »

Hi
No I haven’t heard that I have done a search on the net have found nothing but it might not be listed

Kev

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 03:27:48 PM »
Hi
Neil.
I never knew the guy, but admiration to somebody who moved to foreign climes and adopted the local way of life.
I understand he was not allowed to be buried in the the village he lived and supported.
Geoff
The family and the people who helped for Martin/s funeral  did what's nesesary and convinient was  for them. The reason why he was not buried in Arillas  is clearly demographic...
The people of Arillas come from MAgoulades , kavadades, amd Afionas originaly...  every family house has an origin from the surrounding villages ... therefore not all residens of Arillas are due to be baried in Arillas.  the people after  Inas shop to the south are buried in Afionas and the people from the recycling ceter and above are normaly buried in Kavadades. He could have been buried in Arillas but  it would have taken more time and efforts with burocracy etc that the family did not have.
It would have been nice to have martin burien in Arillas but what was done made every friend and his family happy.
however,  he is only a couple kilometres further and he has a better view!!! (that's MArtin's humor.)
The Funeral expences were paid by the Arillas cultural association and the Arillas Bussines association.

I'm startin to hate facebook ... it so easy for people to spread news for no reason and no responsibility.
 Arillas will definately be not the same again without my friend Martin.
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
Hi
Neil.
Geoff
The family and the people who helped for Martin/s funeral  did what's nesesary and convinient was  for them. The reason why he was not buried in Arillas  is clearly demographic...
The people of Arillas come from MAgoulades , kavadades, amd Afionas originaly...  every family house has an origin from the surrounding villages ... therefore not all residens of Arillas are due to be baried in Arillas.  the people after  Inas shop to the south are buried in Afionas and the people from the recycling ceter and above are normaly buried in Kavadades. He could have been buried in Arillas but  it would have taken more time and efforts with burocracy etc that the family did not have.
It would have been nice to have martin burien in Arillas but what was done made every friend and his family happy.
however,  he is only a couple kilometres further and he has a better view!!! (that's MArtin's humor.)
The Funeral expences were paid by the Arillas cultural association and the Arillas Bussines association.

I'm startin to hate facebook ... it so easy for people to spread news for no reason and no responsibility.
 Arillas will definately be not the same again without my friend Martin.

Hi
Thanks for the clarification
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 01:10:45 PM »

Hi Boss

Thank you for explaining to us all

Kev

Booking.com