Author Topic: Corfu Rubbish Situation  (Read 30548 times)

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
Re: Corfu Rubbish Situation
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »

Hi
John we are only speaking the truth photos don’t lie down front tidy as I have said before out towards the galini Tria and independent apartment  it is not very nice I don’t think you would like it out side your apartment 
We have seen vans cars from the front dumping rubbish at the Galinis bins and not bothered about other hoteliers
Yes Arillas is a great place or we would not be returning

I am only telling how it is reporting. That’s what the forum is all about what is going on

You said once this site is for Arillas well this is
Members would like to know what’s going you can not hide the matter other members have seen the mess
 There is No recycling they have them self’s to blame
I know the landfill site is full but the government should have been looking in to the matter years ago and got site prepared

Kevin

Kevin don't know why you think my post was aimed at you.
I only replied to the original post
That post was made before you put any reply as it was the original, so Shropshirenick had got the info from another source.
I Just made reference to our previous two visits this year stating the situation at the time.
I know it won't spoil our return next week, just as it failed to spoil your visit.
As you said only informing the forum what I saw at the time.
Not having a go at anyone

John

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 11:32:06 PM »
My biggest problem with the rubbish problem is that it makes me very sad and very frustrated. Sad because a beautiful island is being spoilt, sad because the hard working Arillas people deserve better, and frustrated that the politicians and bureaucrats cannot agree a solution. There has to be a solution as people just can't live healthily and happily with this problem. Lastly, I am also frustrated because I don't know what I can do to help.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2018, 12:11:49 AM »
What can be done to help
We take our rubbish with us and it is not left strewn across the beach or in the fields.
It is then disposed of into the rubbish bags where we stay but ultimately ends up being piled up with other rubbish bags.
Unfortunately we are able to do nothing about the situation. The appartment owner then does his part by getting rubbish moved, but because of the situation it  sometimes fails to reach its final destination.....
We are are helpless, it all falls on the authorities to resolve the matter.
I have no doubt it will be resolved eventually.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 12:25:38 AM »
The one thing we can all do, is to keep going to Arillas. Many on here will be doing just that, and  have already booked for 2019. 

Offline kevin-beverly

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 07:52:10 AM »

Hi john

No John I am not having a go at you or anyone.
I just get annoyed About the Greek government not thinking ahead and putting plans in action
Stick together the stronger we are
Kevin
p/s
Thank you Harold saves me setting one up

Offline thinwhiteduke

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »

Hi thinwhiteduke
I am sorry this spoiled your holiday it’s not the people of Arillas or Corfu it’s the Athens government did not have a plan once the land fill site was full. They can ship the rubbish to the mainland but the government do not want to spend they rather lose holiday makers and lose money in taxes the Greek government are twenty years behind sorry to say
I am working on a on line petition to send to The Corfu parliament I know some people will say it will do no good but you got try you never know

Us members go out from once to three time a year so Arillas has got something  so keep follow this thread and see what happens

Kevin

Still had a great time and love Arillas and I know that they did their best, but can't be doing with that unfortunately.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »

Hi john

I just get annoyed About the Greek government not thinking ahead and putting plans in action
Kevin
p/s

Hi
About time you updated your profile. Might have recognised you first time we saw you lol
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline Jersey Bean

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
New update on the rubbish situation on Hercules & friends Facebook page.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
Liking the new photo Kev and Bev.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

Hi john

Kevin
p/s

Hi
About time you updated your profile. Might have recognised you first time we saw you lol
Geoff

At least they have a photo Geoff. A bit easier to spot them from that than a small mustard pot. Lol.

I kept looking out for you as we were there same time as you last week but didn't spot you but then as you know I need to go to Specsavers.

Online turkeyfoot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2018, 05:58:13 PM »

Hi john

Kevin
p/s

Hi
Geoff

At least they have a photo Geoff. A bit easier to spot them from that than a small mustard pot. Lol.

I kept looking out for you as we were there same time as you last week but didn't spot you but then as you know I need to go to Specsavers.
Hi
Maybe next year
Geoff
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than  to speak up and remove all doubt.

Offline shropshirenick

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
With much trepidation I have cancelled my holiday to Arillas.
I know I would just be anxious for the next 10 months, such a shame Arillas looks fantastic. It is definitely the best decision for me.
I really hope the problem gets sorted quickly for the locals, because no one should have to put up with this situation.

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2018, 01:44:43 AM »
What a great shame. It really wouldn’t have spoilt it but now you will never know unfortunately. That said I can well imagine why you would want to avoid holidaying next to decaying rubbish as the scaremongers would have us believe

Next year marks my 23rd visit to Arillas. I am ridiculously excited as each year brings new experiences but ultimately the same amazing spiritual experience that keep us returning to this special village year on year. My eldest who was 1 on his first visit and is now 23 can’t wait to show his girlfriend this special village.

This year we had one stinky bin to pass on the way to a sublime lunch, overlooking the calm sea, sipping ice cold wine and marvelling at our blissful day.

Like I said what a great shame that you won’t get to enjoy this.

Offline ness44

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
we were in Arillas in August for 3 weeks and we did see bins full and overflowing and by the Tria there was mattresses strewn all over as well as rubbish but we did also see rubbish collection lorries quite a few times emptying the bins. We also smelt them lol. It did not ruin my holiday and if we had to pass the full bins I just held my nose and carried on and then sometimes the next day they were empty.
I have also seen this on other Greek islands and it would not put me off from going back to Arillas at all. Already booked for next year for out 7th visit.

Offline Ron and Sue

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »
I totally agree with Jo as Sue and I have been going to Arillas for 25 years and nothing would stop us visiting.  However you can understand how potential visitors could be put off by tales of overflowing rubbish bins and awful smells.                                                  Even first time visitors may think twice  about returning.       The selfish side of me may say let people stay away so that the resort is not overcrowded but this does not help the local economy which is so vital to Arillas.    I would like to be able to say that I have the answer to the problem of the rubbish situation but the answer lies with the local and the national authorities.        Ron.

Booking.com