Author Topic: The dreaded T word (trip)  (Read 14918 times)

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
The dreaded T word (trip)
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »
I've had a look round the forum at daytrips. Do you have up to date information about daytrips from Arillas?

Unlike me, my friends are not the lay on a sunbed all day staring at the sea types. They want to go on trips to explore the island, which means I'll have to frame myself and leave Arillas at some point - tut. We'll definitely do the Corfu Town one. Are there others you can recommend?

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The dreaded T word (trip)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:56 PM »
walk upto afionas, check out the amazing view, lunch in taverna overlooking st georges bay, walk back again............. that will wear them out for a few days!!
ger x

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
You could Hire a car for a few days Karen And take the coast road down to Paleokastritsa, Stop off at Bela Vista fabulous views, visit the monastery and take a boat around the caves.

Drive down to Pontikonisi and take a walk along the causeway and watch the planes come over your head as they land, then take a boat out to mouse island.
Visit Achilion palace, just drive and take pot luck the fun is stopping and visiting the little villages

We had a wonderful day with Phil and Jen some years ago driving down the west coast visiting Paleo and Pelekas then switching over to the east coast to Messongi, Benitsis, Achillion palace, through Corfu Town and back via the coast road to Afionas

We hired a quad and had a fab day visiting Kassiopi Roda Acharavi Peroulades and sunset beach.

If you want an adventure take a trip over to Albania and do the trip around Butrint long day out but we enjoyed it

Hire a boat for the day and take it down to Paleo  (pretend you're Pirates) just imagine eyepatch, hook for a hand and cut throat sword...... on second thoughts don't do the dressing up bit.

Check out
http://arkokal.gr/excursions.html     Arkokal opposite Whispers bar
http://www.olgastravel.net/#!excursions/cl58  Olgas opposite Akti Hotel

Arillas Travel offer the following    Arillas Travel opposite the Coconut

EXCURSIONS
* Island bus trip with tour guide from Corfu Town.
* Boat trip to the island of Ericoussa & Mathraki.
* Boat cruises in the Ionian Sea.
* Pantokrator (the highest mountain in the Island).
* Jeep safari to the Pantorkator mountain.
* Sidari
* Kanoni and Achilleion.
* Corfu Town in the morning.
* Corfu Town by night.
* Greek night.

Offline Truth

• ARILLIAC
  • Be lucky.....
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 02:06:31 PM »
Some of our best days in Greece have been when we have just jumped on a scooter and gone .....................
As Ref says its great to just find these quaint little Greek villages and pop in a kafenion for a drink and a bite to eat with the locals.
The best places are the ones that you are not looking for.
Wolverhampton Wanderers, pride of The Midlands......

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 04:33:01 PM »
Karen we always have a day out in Kalami its so tranquil and last year visited Avlaki and Agni which were lovely little spots.  As John said the 7th Heaven bar in Periloudes is a must with great glass walkway but I doubt the view from Dionysos in Afionas can be bettered.

Offline soniaP

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »
Yes sunset beach is amazing with the glass floor and fantastic views. Also would recommend Pagi - a little village where a scene from the Bond film for your Eyes Only was filmed. Fantastic taverna there called ,Romeo's - the best homemade Retsina I have ever had. Not enough there to spend a full day there unless you get stuck in Romeo's with a gallon of Retsina that must be drunk but definitely worth stopping off there if you are exploring the area.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:03:49 AM »
We have rarely left Arillas in all the time we've been going, but nothing wrong with trips and visits. In 2003 we took one of our party - a single teenaged young guy - on the tour of Corfu Town. It was the typical "bladdy tourist" day but we all enjoyed everything about it. You feel so "important" ordering a coffee in the Liston (Mythos for me though - common as muck....)

Taking a boat to Mathraki or Ericousa - those lumps of rock you can see from Arillas are all very special places. So many wonderful choices offered by the posts on this thread. Our local travel experts that John gave all the details of can make almost anything happen. Your friends will be spoilt for choice Karen dearest.

But I must say how much of a dear memory our day with the Ref and his woman was and has become. My strongest memory was the Achilleon, when we all sat outside and the incoming planes seemed (were?) below us. We have always been superbly grateful to them both for sharing their T word with us.

There is a lovely world in Corfu outside Arillas, but for Jen and me, it awaits our much longer stays - starting this summer with any luck!

Phil

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:45:23 PM »
Thanks, lovely people, for taking the time to reply.

There's some really good ideas here. On reflection, I do sound like a grumpy old so and so by not wanting to leave Arillas, but I have explored the beautiful north of the island (never been further south than the airport yet) quite extensively on motorbikes and scooters. I just know that my friends want to book some coach trips and I know I'll want to stay in Arillas - a day trip for me is an hour or two in San Stephanos or Aghios Georgios :-) 

I'm starting to fancy the idea of the jeep safari up Pantokrator now though.... and a sail over to islands, so, we'll see.

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 11:32:34 PM »
You could book them on a trip to Mathraki and then stand on the jetty and wave them off

See you in July and we can All get together and wave them off...you wont feel so guilty then...Lol

Offline cypress

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
Let's do that John - a long line of us waving the boat off. Then I can lay on my sunbed ... again :-)

Booking.com