Author Topic: Arilas or san stefanos  (Read 11906 times)

Offline Diane Ford

Arilas or san stefanos
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
Which would you recommend - Arilas or San stefanos - what is the difference between the two resorts?  Can you stay at one and walk to the other for meals etc.

Offline BlueHeather

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
  • Dizzy Blonde Cat Woman
Re: Arilas or san stefanos
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
From my personal point of view -  I would prefer to be staying in Arillas - it was our first visit this year and although we used the beach a fair deal in SS I personally wouldn't have been keen on staying there........ you can walk it over the headland, there is a pathway but you would need to be relatively  fit ..... or you can walk the long way - but this would be too far to say walk at night for a meal there and back.
Women are like angels....   And when someone breaks our wings,
we simply continue to fly......usually on a broomstick.
We're flexible like that   ;-)

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
Not sure if you are likely to get a completely unbiased reply on this forum Diane ;-) most people here are confirmed "Arilliacs".
Seriously though - it all depends on what you are looking for from a holiday.
San Stafanos has a long, flat, gently sloping sandy beach. Really great if you have small children.
Arillas beach is not so big, and tends to suffer from the sea shifting sand around, so sometimes it is really good and sometimes it is quite narrow in some places. But it is a really nice beach and you can walk to the far North and South ends of the beach which are both very secluded. These ends are favourite haunts for naturists, but it is not essential that you join in if you don't want too - just be aware that they are there if any of your party might be offended by such things.
Both resorts have great places to eat, and there is plenty of choice at both resorts to suit most everybody, although overall there are more places in San Stefanos as it is a slightly larger resort.
Neither resort has what you would call a "noisy" night-life, although both have a couple of good bars where you can listen to music and they sometimes have live performers.
It is possible to walk along the roads between the resorts, or there is a shorter route over the headland between the two bays, and there is a really great taverna at the top where you can rest and get some liquid refreshment, but you may find both of these routes a little too much after a big evening meal!
I am sure that many others will post their thoughts on this subject, this is a very active forum with many wonderful contributors, so you can guarantee that any information you are given here will be honest and sincere.
Meanwhile, to get a better idea of Arillas there is not only the camera on this site which will give you a good view of the bay, but there is also a website which shows a "virtual" tour of Arillas here:-
http://arillas.corfu360.net/
You can also get a good view of San Stefanos beach from the San Stefanos Travel camera which is on their site here:-
http://www.san-stefano.gr
And a virtual tour here:-
http://www.agiosstefanos.corfu360.net/
Whichever one you choose, you will have a great holiday.
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »
Hi Diane, and welcome to the forum! personally, we definitely prefer Arillas although quite often have a scooter ride over to San Stef. You will find that peole are drawn to San Stef as they are to Arillas year after year so you can't really go wrong whichever you choose.  There are more shops in San Stef, including the excellent Perdita's glass. My take is that Arillas is more intimate and the food is just divine, but I have only ever had breakfast at San Stef so cant really compare. Next year is visit number 14! yipee!! Let us know which one you choose and be sure to visit the other if you get chance! If you had asked about Sidari you would have got a definite NOOOOOOO!!! :-) (well from me that is!)

Online Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »
If in doubt, and if it fits nicely into your agenda, I would say a two week break.
One week in Stephanos and one week in Arillas. - Or vicky-vercy.
( And then flit between the two for extra fun )

Stephanos and Arillas are "chalk n cheese" but they both have much to offer.

Jo.
You must see Sidari, sometime one winter. Visit one of the local places that serve a very nice goat in red wine!! - Not a whole one, obviously!
(And the waiter is not called Billy!)

Cheers
Negg

Offline NicandJohn

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
Eggy that place sounds interesting, we're over in december so may have a look. We stayed in san steph for the first time this summer, it has a bigger, slightly busier feel than arillas and a better beach. Food was great in all the tavernas we tried and staff were mostly as friendly as those we know in arillas. Arillas is still my favourite though.
john

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 12:40:44 AM »
San Stef love to go over for a swim and a day on the beach
Bigger than Arillas but the locals are just as friendly.

Arillas no contest when it comes to deciding where to stay.
Arillas no contest when it comes to a welcome from the locals
Arillas no contest when it comes to places to eat
Arillas no contest when it comes to Arillas or San Stef

Only my opinion.... on the other hand if I could not find a place to stay in Arillas then San Stef would be my choice.
I would be near enough to walk over the headland and down the donkey track back to my favourite place on earth

I'm sure you will enjoy where ever you decide   NW Corfu is that kind of place

IF JILL READS THIS NO I AM NOT AN ARILLIAC....lol

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:08 AM »
Avoided commenting as yet - everyone knows what I will say. Or will they? Jen and I choose Arillas because we are so happy there. But we would always say that San Stef is a wonderful choice. In our more mobile and earlier days, we always stayed at the top of the hill and went to either, according to our whim.

You have the wonderful Anna Studios, Kostas (supermarket) apartments, Alecos Sgouros and other choices of places to stay. Best of both worlds if you can manage the hill.

And John me good ole pal, original definition of Arilliac was Dimitri's. Those with over 1000 posts on the forum...... so it's John the Arilliac!!

Phil

Offline Ron and Sue

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »
Must agree with John & Dot.We would always choose to stay in Arillas but if unable to get fixed up there San Stefanos would become automatic alternative choice.Sure you will have a great holiday whichever your choice.Let the Forum know which you decide.    Ron.

Offline Diane Ford

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies - I am fancying Arilas - any recommendations on which accommodation - we are a couple in our 50's - like nice accommodation, pool, just a drink and a meal at night and then back to the balcony to chill - nothing more!!!

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »
Well everyone on this site has their favourites - and without a doubt everywhere in Arillas is good, as is the genuine welcome that you will get from your hosts. Your age group and criteria are the same as mine, and to my mind the best to match all your criteria is the Horizon - nice pool and right on the beachfront, great rooms that all face the sea, great sunset views from your very own balcony, great standard of food in the restaurant.
Take a look at their website -
http://www.horizon-hotel.gr/en/index.php
Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
ou first trip to nw corfu was to san steph, we fell in love with the place, and planned to go back the following year, cant remember why, but we couldnt, so we ended up going to arillas, and the rest as they say is history!!!!
have stayed in sea breeze apts, akti, and next may (hopefully) marinaki
ger x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
If you do plump for SS then the Little Prince is deffo the place to stay and eat where as in Arillas All the apartments are lovely and in a lot of years going twice a year we have only ever had one bad meal and the place is now under new management and served us a  delicious meal this year. We are defo confirmed Arillacs. We are both in our 60s and still walk to SS once maybe twice a week to see friends that live there, only once walked home in the dark that was in a May and the fireflies lit our way but wouldn't really want to do it again. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline MaryH

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »
I think San Stefanos is also lovely. The 1st time we stayed in Arillas in June 2006 and walked into San Stefanos, we decided to return in the September and stay there for a week as yet hadn't formed the great obsession I now have with Arillas. It was on the last couple of days and I had been badly bitten by mosquitos so had to visit the doctors every day for injections. Verena ( Leon's wife from Amourada) was the receptionist invited to give us a lift to Arillas and back for a night out. It was weired as she drove us into Arillas it felt like I was coming home. Ever since I have never stayed anywhere else. But like Viv during my stays in Arillas I always have a few walks into Stan Stefanos.  :) But Arillas is my special holiday place, so much now I go there alone and meet  my holiday buddies there

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »

We would always choose Arillas, and being in our sixties have done places all over Greece for the last thirty odd years. We found Arillas in 2002, but we now like a 'bit' of quiet time around the pool.
So we always choose the Mathraki because it's adults only (Thomsons think the kids might fall) the rooms are well appointed, sea view and the food is very good too, the best thing though is the wonderful family that run it, they will cater to your every need. Also just five mins from the front.
Love the beach at San Stefanos, but love Arillas more.

Val x
The love affair continues.

Booking.com