Author Topic: Akrotiri  (Read 9434 times)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
Re: Akrotiri
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 10:50:43 PM »
In the past, women would change their surname when married, to that of their husband (again in genitive case) signifying the transfer of "dependence" from the father to the husband. In earlier Modern Greek society, women were named with -aina as a feminine suffix on the husband's first name: for example "Giorgaina" or "Wife of George". Nowadays, a woman's surname does not change upon marriage, though she can use the husband's surname socially. Children usually receive the paternal surname, though there are cases where children receive the maternal surname in addition or exclusively.[3]
 In official documents, the father's name in the Genitive will be inserted between a person's first and last names. For example, if John Papadopoulos has a daughter named Mary and a son named Andrew, they will be referred to as María Ioánnou Papadopoúlou and Andréas Ioánnou Papadópoulos. When Mary marries George Demetriádes, she may retain her original name or choose to be called María Geōrgíou Demetriádou. If she is widowed, she will revert to her father's patronymic but retain her husband's surname: María Ioánnou Demetriádou.

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Akrotiri
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
Thanks for the quote viv. Jen and me sat and debated the "married name" thing yesterday (in truth no debate - we just agreed.) A married woman has no obligation in UK to take or use her husband's surname, but most do. And whatever the custom in Greece, we respect it.

I just loved watching little Spiros and his mum in the film. In fact I rewound and watched it twice, and then again with Jen. I thought it might have been when he had an ear infection earlier in the year. Didn't even have the sound on because in German I might have got one word but not many more. It was a lovely video to watch, and thanks again to Terry for finding it and sharing it.

Phil

Booking.com