Author Topic: WASPS IN AUGUST  (Read 10717 times)

JOHNB

WASPS IN AUGUST
« on: August 07, 2005, 04:13:05 PM »
We went to Pelekas [south of Arillas] last year in August and were troubled quite badly with wasps. The locals said it was due to the graping season. Has anyone been to Arillas in August and will we have the same problem. If so can anyone suggest anything to keep them away.

Thanks

John

Offline Lisa and Steve

• JustLisa
  • Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 04:20:06 PM »
WE have been in August and have never had any problem with wasps.Have only ever seen the odd one .Mozzies yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Paul/Deb5

• Forum Fanatic
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 12:51:27 AM »
Hi Johnb
  All the times we have been there at different times we have never had problems with wasps , best to keep away from the grapes just drink the finished product !!! but seriously ,talking to many people they say that
'Autan' seems to be the best spray for irritating insects etc.

Paul/Deb5

Offline bobandjoyce

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
    • http://www.essential-opportunity.co.uk
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 09:59:24 AM »
I'm going out armed to the teeth with autan, mosquito milk, epipens and everything else I can find!!!
I'm one of those unlucky people that goes into anaphaltic shock if I get a wasp sting - no time for that - just in case, is there a doctor in Arillas??  :roll:

Offline Pam Tanner

wasps
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 05:01:28 PM »
Hi Bob and Joyce

Yes there is a medical centre opposite the Brouklis Taverna.  I haven't used it myself but it was the one that our rep recommended when we were there.  

Pam
Pam
Swansea, South Wales

Offline Pam Tanner

wasps
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 05:03:30 PM »
I forgot to say that there is no pharmacy in Arillas, so it would be worth taking any medication that you may need with you.  I think the nearest pharmacy is Sidari, which cost us 24 euros for a return journey by taxi

Pam
Pam
Swansea, South Wales

Offline Aly

• Arillas Addict
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 06:14:11 PM »
Run into the water!  :lol:  :wink:  Can't say I saw many wasps at all in Arillas recently, but if there is ever anyone going to get stung its me! I did get erm 'chased' by a couple of pesky things recently, but ran off like a deranged woman into the sea.  I got stung a couple of years ago on my back (where I couldnt reach) ... too late the thing got me and I managed to get some ammonia stuff from the local shop near Splish Splash.  BUT those great big black things (does anyone know what they are :?: ) stung me last year on the b*m - on my last day :!:  Now that did leave a tennis ball size rash.  

Correct me if I'm wrong Arillas Addicts, but I'm sure you cannot use your E111 at the the medical centre and have to pay.

Aly

Offline bobandjoyce

WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 01:10:19 AM »
Thanks for the info folks.
I don't think the E111 is much good in a medical centre - we had to pay a few years back in Zante and claim back when we got home (had to keep the sticky price labels)
I had a hard time coming home from Kos last year trying to explain why I was carrying injections - I wonder what it is like at UK airports when you can't take sharp objects on to the plane? guess I'll find out soon enough!

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 06:01:03 PM »
Hi, Have to carry needle's with us and for the past 3 years have had a doctor's letter , it has to state what is wrong with you and what your injections contain. These must be carried as hand luggage as I believe do any medicines. When we have been asked at Manchester if we are have anything shape in our bags we have answered yes and produced the letter, would you believe it's only been read once, it could have said anything. :?

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline fenos

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
    • http://www.corfu-arillas.com/
Wasps
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 07:39:49 PM »
If you get a wasp bite try to put on the bite fenistil gel.It is the best for those bites.For the moskitos the perfect solution is a stick named "fidaki" which is like a snake and when you light it make a smoke that fights the moskitos.It smells a little but it is the best (personal experience).You can buy it everywhere in Arillas

Offline bobandjoyce

WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »
Yes Vivian, I believe it - been carrying those things for years and nobody batted an eyelid until we were leaving Kos - kinda worrying....'nuff said. Letter from doc will be next on my list!

Fenos - I will be buying a supply of the smelly snake 'fidaki' (we call them mosquito coils) and fenistil gel.....paranoid woman goes on holiday  :oops:

Thank you  :D

Offline Mick and Jill

• Forum Fanatic
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 12:13:02 PM »
Hi, Perry was using Fidaki in Coconut bar in May and it definatly kept the mosquitos away.  Glad that I have now found out what it is called and will definatly get one when we return in September.

A couple of years ago we had a walk up to Afionas and half way up the track I was stung just under my eye by a wasp.  I was totally panic stricken as the little blighter attached itself securly to me, Mick had to pull it off.  If he hadn't been there I think I would have been over the cliff as I was running round like a lunatic.  I got some funny looks from some German tourists who were heading down to Arillas.  After the sting was squeezed out I looked like Quazimodo (excuse the spelling), this lasted for 3 days.  Needless to say if I see one now I run in the opposite direction.

Jill
Jill XXX

Offline Fiona

• Arillas Addict
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 02:11:52 PM »
Only saw a couple of wasps last week (6th-13th August) and one of the giant black things Aly mentioned so no great problem.

Plenty of biting mozzies  :twisted: during the day as well as at night and I collected about ten bites through the week, despite using Boots After Sun with repellant, Jungle Formula Tropical, eating Marmite and drinking alcohol  :!:  Roy doesn't worry much and uses anything he can lay his hands on (when he remembers) and was only bitten twice!

To relieve the itching I used "Irriderm Gel" purchased at Inas.  Whenever we sat on our balcony - day or night - we had a Boots mosquito coil on the go which was brilliant.  

We had the room door open all day every day, but closed it at night before we went out and gave the room a really good spray with a local flying insect deterrent.  No problems through the night.

Fiona

Offline Pete E

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 12:17:25 PM »
Just got back yesterday after a magical fortnight.  We did comment that one of Arillas' many perfect points was the noticeable lack of wasps in comparison with the East coast - we got plagued - and further down around Pelekas. Don't know why.

Offline Lexi

WASPS IN AUGUST
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 12:44:22 AM »
Are there any wasps in Arillas in july (17 july- 1 august) ? I'm going to Arillas for the first time this year, and I have a slight phobia of wasps.  :cry:

Booking.com