Author Topic: Mosquitoes and tennis!  (Read 12097 times)

Offline glendac

Re: Mosquitoes and tennis!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
I'm not sure if it is available in the shops. I got mine from my local Avon rep. You could look on line.

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
avon on line, got 2 for £5 dry oil spray original, if you have an avon rep all the better, no postage to pay
ger x

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »
www.ecobeautyshop.com do citronella shower gel and shampoo. Both of us found them quite effective at detering the little sods.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Offline newbies

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »
slight problem, no avon rep and we fly out next week (yepee), oh well looks like it will be the DEET spray.

thanks for the replies

Offline hippopotandmouse

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
Take one of those plug in thingys for repelling mozzies in the room, we spent our first night in May swotting the little so and so's! Next day bought a Mr Fist plug in and tablets from Vavilas(?) market, just opposite road to San Stef, and no problems in room after that.
There is a quiz night on Friday and Sunday nights at Thomas Bay hotel in San Stef. During our week we won them both.... bit embarassing really,when we were staying in Arillas, and had travelled independently and not with Thomson, who organise it, but the wine we won was lovely!!!

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »

I think I may have posted about this product last year. Its called Incognito and we first saw it at Gardeners World Live. We used the soap, the after sun and the repellent and had no bites.

More information here ...... http://www.lessmosquito.com/ - you can read on here how it works

It also doesn't have the horrible smell of deet.

We have tried everything from Avon Soft, marmite, cintronella, Jungle formula etc, but the Incognito has been the best.

I think it all depends on where you are, at what time of day it is, weather conditions, sitting near vegetation and many more things at to whether you will be bitten. The best thing for a room is air conditioning as the blighters  hate cold air.

Offline newbies

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
when i went to Cuba i made up a formula that i found on the internet, it was good but i have lost the recipe, i remember it had lemon juice and eucalyptus, maybe i will drink plenty of mythos and get them drunk. 

Maggie

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
try x-pel. you can buy it in B&M's for 99p or x-pel wipes in Lidl for 99p.
It's the only stuff that stops me being bitten, and I live here!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »
newbies, we can swear that doesn't work.... If like me the little s*ds never come near you it is fine. But believe the reputation - if alcohol worked, Jen wouldn't need to spray deet halfway up her legs and wear cover-ups in the evenings - we would have cracked it!

The worst risk is early evening as the sun goes down and you are savouring another lovely Arillas meal, and they are savouring your ankles. Jen gets very few bites now, but is Jungle Strength DEET that does it for her. Oh yes Terry it smells awful, but compared to the 17 3cm blisters she had lanced here in 2003, who cares?

I have never been bitten in all the months I've been there. Famous last words.....

Phil

Offline newbies

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:26 AM »
i never used to get bitten until one fateful day in Acharavi taking pics whilst stood amongst a lot of greenery, a friend of mine needed hospital treatment after her leg swelled up. the alcohol may not stop them but it doesn't matter so much when they do, and at least they might get a hang over and fly into a wall.   

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:51 AM »
love your philosophy newbies. The picture in my mind of mozzies crashing into walls drunk has a certain charm....

Take care, just look after yous, and have a typically great time in Arillas. Thats WOTITSALLABOUT. Plagiarising Eggy comes second nature to me.....

All the best
Phil

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
Take one of those plug in thingys for repelling mozzies in the room, we spent our first night in May swotting the little so and so's! Next day bought a Mr Fist plug in and tablets from Vavilas(?) market, just opposite road to San Stef, and no problems in room after that.

I agree - we use one in each room ( - but don't forget to leave a window open so that the mozzies can escape) . We plug them in before we go out on a night and leave them plugged in during the night. Then Jungle Formula plastered on every inch of exposed skin before you go out in the evening, and we have very few problems.

Angie

Nan

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
I find the Avon is very good and you can order online for quick delivery straight to your door and plug ins do work.

Spray under the bed before going out for the evening and catch the little blighters that hide waiting for you to turn in!!!

Another tip is to put the toilet brush holder over the shower drain in the bathroom to stop them coming in via the drain. Also a little drop of dettol or mouthwash down the sink and shower has been recommended at nightime. They do find a way of getting in don't they?

I always take Vit B complex now and in May had one bite which wasn't infected at all. You need to take them for a good spell before your holiday so that it builds up in your skin.

I know it's hot but wear long trousers at night and sleeves if you can bear it. I hate being bitten and I choose to be sexy and alluring and free of mossie bites so keep covered up!!!

Have a wonderful time inspite of the mossies

Cheers Nan x

Offline blazeboy

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
Hi
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Now have Incognito spray and incense sticks, avon spray and
have started on the vitamin b tabs. Will try the tip re spraying under bed and covering drain holes.

The guys have checked out the tennis at Hotel Marvel and the court looks good - let's hope they can use it in exchange for buying drinks/snacks at the bar.

Just over 2 weeks to go and counting.

Will be glad to get away from the rainy Glasgow and work/chores 'tho I will miss my dog.

Karen

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
Have a great time. Sort of know you will.

Whatever the strategy, if the mozzies bother you, find lotions with 50% DEET. And cover feet and ankles in it.

Phil

Booking.com