Author Topic: first timers to Arillas  (Read 11618 times)

Offline flipflop

first timers to Arillas
« on: May 02, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
we are visiting Arillas in June and after reading lots of the posts on here, we can't wait!
Has anyone got any suggestions on what excursions to do and perhaps some of the walks?
I've previously stayed in Kassiopi and Benitses, although both were a long time ago.

thanks

Offline Dai

• Arillas Addict
Re: first timers to Arillas
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
Hi flipflop,

I'm sure you'll have a great time. Plenty of walks in and around the village or beyond. Have a look at http://www.marengowalks.com/corfubk.html where there's a useful book/map about the area. I've never been on any excursions but you'll find a good choice from the couple of travel shops in the village.

Offline flipflop

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
thanks for the link.

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum community flipflop. It is all true....

If you want excursions you can book loads with Olga's Travel or the competition across the road (Arkokal.) Jen and I never get time for them these days - so busy meeting folk and chillling out. Yes with three ls.... But we have always hankered after a boat trip to one of the other islands - Ericousa, Mathraki or Othoni. The walks are legendary. Afionas and surrounding villages from one end (South) and San Stefanos (North.) There are many posts on here for you to read. Try the Things to Do board, reached after pressing Home on the forum.

Arillas has a weird effect on people - they just stay put, chill and enjoy. Well that's us anyway. And get the diet plan ready for your return to UK. My waist was a trim 32. Now it struggles into a 36. And my six-pack has beome a Party Seven. Food is to die for!

Have a look at TripAdvisor.com - many reviews on there. Have a great time in Arillas. I already know you will....
Phil

Offline flipflop

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »
thanks, can't wait.
Chillling sounds good!

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »
Hi Flipflop and welcome to the site as Phil says Olga or Arkokal will sort you out with excursions Iv'e put this virtual street view  link on before but it's really good if you've not been to Arillas before
Also if you go onto Google Earth there are quite a few walks you can plan yourself using the path measure tool
http://arillas.corfu360.net/

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:58:21 AM »
Hi Phill!
Boat trips go to Matheraki, Orthoni and Ericousa on monday, wednesday and Friday from 'the new harbour' in Ageous Stefanos 'in season'. Did it last May, Wonderful experience. Going again in this holiday, fantastic trip, scenery, and a chance to get to know the islanders who are so friendly. Boat leaves at 10.00hrs. Cost about €12. You can stay on the boat 'Pegassus' and visit all three islands, or stop off for an hour or so on Matheraki etc, and get the boat back on it's return to Ag. Stef.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »
Thanks Martin - will follow up

Phil

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »
I fancy that. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »
So do I, Viv - but not sure whether I'll cope with it or not after the last episode.....

Janis x x

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »
Janis, We will have to find out what size the boat is. One things for sure it wont be any smaller then ours. lol. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
Hi All!
Pegassus is quite a large ocean going ship, she looks magnificent in brilliant white, with a large 'winged horse' in blue on each side of the prow. The main cabin I think would seat about 80 people. It has powerful twin deisel engines and once out of the harbour goes at a fair rate of knots! There is a large cargo area at the stern which carries fruit,veg, livestock, grain, beer(in barrels Phil),calor gas, fuel in cans, in fact anything you could possible use on the islands as it is the 'supply' ship. There is a forward observation area up some steps at the front, next to the captain which seats about 20. The main cabin has T.V. if you get bored, but the locals just sit and gossip for the journey. The island priest was on board last May when I went, he blessed the boat and all who sailed in her with holy water and prayers. I thought 'is it going to be that rough'! I went on a flat calm day with a head wind, and it did get very 'bouncy' once round the point off Sidari, spent most of the hour and a quarter journey up front, looking out of the wheelhouse windows, holding onto the rail as we headed towards the islands. You get great views of Gravia and lots of smaller islands, the approach to Matharaki is stunning as Pegassus seems to approach the tiny harbour entrance at breakneck speed and then just calmly stop! I stayed onbourd for the 'round trip', getting off at each island whilst the cargo was being loaded/unloaded, so I could have a wander and take photos. If you ask, the crew will tell you how long you have at each stop, anyway, they give a blast on the ship's hooter before she sails on. It was definitely the 'high' of my last visit to Arillas. Getting there on time to catch Pegassus is not easy as there is no transport other than ordering a taxi which is about €30. Not sure if Olga could sort it. Dorita kindly took me to the harbour and picked me up on my return at about 15.30hrs.
I have lots of photos but can never seem to get them posted on this website. I'll send you some Janis and Viv, perhaps you could 'do the magic' and put them on the forum.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
Hi Martin, I will have a go at posting them for you. See you soon. Love Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »
Hi Viv!
Email with 30 photos enroute!
Realy looking forward to the 13th. now, be great to meet all the May crowd again. Must organise a 'get together' at Brouklis.
Yammas,
Martin.

Offline flipflop

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
thanks for all the comments and ideas - just cant wait to get there now.

Booking.com