Author Topic: Marengo Walks  (Read 4806 times)

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Marengo Walks
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »
The Marengo Walks, books and website, have been mentioned before on the forum but some new members may not know about it.

I am sure this page will be enjoyed by everyone, and more walks and photos can be found on the website

Arillas 2004 -  http://www.marengowalks.com/arillasreport2004.html

Website - http://www.marengowalks.com/index.html

Books - http://www.marengowalks.com/corfubk.html

Offline TerryW

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
Re: Marengo Walks
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:09:52 PM »
Ooops just realised that I missed the 'g' out of Marengo

Offline Pedal pusher

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
I purchased the book of walks earlier on this year and took it with me when I holidayed in Arillas this year.
Although I've done quite a bit of exploring around Arillas over the years, the book revealed a lot of tracks and routes that I never knew existed. It also motivated me to do much more walking than I usually do on holiday.
Accompanied by several  friends, we walked around the Magaloudes area several times. We also did a LOOONG walk to the castle at Angelokastro and looked down onto Paleokastritsa.
The map that came with the walk book was so accurate that we were able to dispense with carrying the book around and just followed the map.
Next year we're planning to walk to paleokastritsa and back.

Offline 4x4

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:12:22 AM »
"Walk"
I needed to look that up in my dictionary ))
Sounds fantastic. 
Exploration is so stimulating and you don’t have to go to the south pole to do it.
Lets have reports on your experiences

Offline mathsboffin

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »
The walking around Arillas is superb, with variety.  As we visited in August, when it was very hot, we used to get up early, around 7 am and walk for around 1.5 hours.  Beautiful walks up to Afionas - did a lovely circular taking the signed road up to Afionas and back downhill by the Night Owl.  Up the ridge over to San Stef,  up the "main" road and off to the left over towards Kavadades.  A lovely lane near the closed Gallini apartments by the river bridge, towards Prinos.

The Marengo book and map is excellent - would love to do the full routes, but it was just too hot.  On the "to do list" for when we have time without children and can go out of season.

Closer to home did a lovely 6 mile walk in the beautiful Severn Valley today - gorgeous day, reminded me our time in Corfu in April for the weather.

Sharon

Offline Alan and Jan

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:13:09 PM »
We've used Lance Chilton's books on several different islands, Rhodes, Lesvos, Crete and Corfu.
Recently in Plakias we used one of the books and enjoyed the varied routes. Have dropped him a line because one of the walks has changed slightly. The Greeks have actuualy laid some tarmac on one of the tracks.
looking forward to getting back to Arillas next may so that we can get some walking in.

Also did some walking in the afternoon sun yesterday. Went into one of the local forests. Now that autumn is with us the colours of the various trees were superb.
Alan and Jan

Eight letters, three words one meaning- Take That

Booking.com