Author Topic: Eating Out in Arillas  (Read 10698 times)

Offline Ash

Eating Out in Arillas
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:31:20 PM »
Am going to Arillas for the 1st time this Friday for a late break.  Grateful any recommendations on good places to eat out.  We lived in Cyprus for 2 and a half years (1999 on) and love eating Greek food at a relaxed pace "meze" style.  Will have a hire car so grateful for recommendations all over the island as well as in Arillas itself.  Many thanx in anticipation.

Maggie

Re: Eating Out in Arillas
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
/you will find good food and plenty variety in Arillas. ALL the tavernas are good. Try also, the night owl, and mon amour, since you have transport. enjoy!

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »
We often have a long lazy lunch at Graziella. Always mezes style with plenty of wine, just gazing out over Gravia. But like Maggie says, you are completely spoiled for choice in Arillas. We have eaten in most of them over the years, and never been disappointed.

Phil

Offline Val n Bill

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
Hi Ash... Our very favourite for both lunch and dinner is Brouklis which is next to the pizza place, also Efitinia, turn right as you face the sea and walk to the end and you will see a restaurant with lots of steps up to it  Efi and her mum will will look after you in the traditional Greek way, as Phil says Graziella is wonderful for a long lazy lunch. If you want your table dressed a little "up market" try Marina the prices are the the same as everywhere else and they have Greek dancing on Saturdays.  Can only echo Maggie and say ALL the restaurants and tavernas in Arillas are good but I suppose we all have favourites. Good luck in finding yours and have a wonderful holiday.
 Wish we were there,   Val
The love affair continues.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »
Hello Ash,

Don't walk past Armourada either. It is my favourite taverna and you are guaranteed traditional Greek food :)
Life is good ;)

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
That seems to be most of Arillas coverd, you can go up to Afionas and eat at Porto Timoni the food and the view are fantastic. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Offline iluvsangeorge

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
    • About Agios Georgios
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »
Ash

I agree with Viv. As you have a car you must not miss out on lunch at Afionas which is so close to Arillas. The views  while you eat are stunning.

Park in the village sreet and walk on through the square, then follow the signs for Dionysos Restaurant along  a narrow track for a few hundred yards.  Both Dionysos Restaurant and Porto Timoni Cafe, which is just at the back, are unbeatable for 'a meal with a view'.  In fact go twice!!

You might just bump into my wife and I next week.  We can't stay away !

Offline Vaughan & Angie

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
And not forgetting Vavillas up the back road

Offline Ash

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
Thanx for all these replies - will have a whale of a time trying them all out (well will look like a whale if we eat in all of them)!!

Finally, has anyone eaten well in Corfu Town itself ?  my wife will want to go to the capital for some shopping - I could spend the time more productively sitting down and having a lunchtime meze - can't stand shopping !

rgds
Ash

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 10:21:16 PM »
Ash, how long are you going for? In two full weeks of evening meals in July, we only managed two tavernas twice - Brouklis where were staying and Efihithia. Both times because we were meeting others on the second time. We didn't manage to get to Horizon, Marina, Portofino, Captain's Table, Rainbow, Stekis, Mirage..... You would need a month to try everywhere. 

As for the "whale" I haven't mentioned all the lunch times.. I've been on a diet ever since we got back!!

Have a great time
Phil

Offline mathsboffin

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »
Brouklis, Graziellas and La Pergola in Afionas were our favourites.  La Pergola is "Mamas Kitchen" style, picking from the pots - lovely rabbit, and casseroled octopus when we were there.  Only open after 5 pm.

In Corfu Town, take the main pedestrianised road from the Liston, walking directly away from the Liston and on the left a few door ways down  there is a small traditional taverna on the left.  Serves wholesome traditional food - always go there when we visit Corfu Town. 

Another one is Rouvas in the side street before Marks and Spencer.  M&S and the road is on the left.  I haven't been here, but it has consistently good reviews and comments.  When we visited in April, it was only open at lunchtime, so we didn't make it.
Sharon

riggers

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 02:21:25 AM »
Now then....we all have our faves...mmmmmmm...i could just do with one now..

BROUKLIS
PORTOFINO

are my fav 2...but i like them all......you'll be spoilt for choice...ENJOY..

riggers.

Offline Ang

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 02:23:33 AM »
Mathboffin/Sharon now thats the kind of review  tip I like
Ang

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 03:14:04 AM »
Sad, isn't it Ang. A new angle, idea or tip is so exciting. Jen and me keep talking about them, but in the end we go back to our comfort zone. Guess where that is....

Loved your post mathsboffin. Have eaten gorgeous prawns sold by the kilo in Ibiza's backstreets. So beautifully cooked and affordable. But there are so many places where you can eat local food honestly served in Corfu too. I think we have eaten in the taverna you described.
there is a small traditional taverna on the left.  Serves wholesome traditional food
It would be a magnet to us.

Thanks for engaging me in these posts
Phil

Offline vivian

• Vivian
  • ARILLIAC
  • Stay Nude it ant Rude
    • http://www.holmvalley.com
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »
Had several nice meals in Corfu town cant remember names sorry. One thing I must tell you Pete and I have been warned away from a Place called The Black Cat, several people. Viv

Stay Nude it ante rude

Booking.com