Author Topic: christos apts  (Read 5829 times)

Offline karenansell1

Re: christos apts
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 03:46:38 PM »
more likely to be crippled legs rather than toned ones but hey ho !!!! not like we'll be in any rush is it...we'll be on our jollidays...yippeeeeeeeee

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »
Its quite a steep hill Karen, it will need two of you to push a wheelchair up it,  

You will love Arillas regardless of that though.

Sharon x

Look at it on the biright side though. She will be able to go down it on her own, and , depending on the number of bevvies she's had, overtake a few hire drivers in the process.

But , seriously Karen, my thoughts are it will be a bit of a bit of a slog up that hill with a wheelchair so don't try to break any world records here. Take yer time and maybe stop at the sweet shop on the way and pick a few goodies as a reward when you get to Christos. Stop and admire the veiws --- and there are some gooduns.

The suggestion of a motorised wheelchair may be a good idea and worth a chat with Olga's Travel on that. I don't know of an e-mail for Christos so hopefully someone on the Forum can help you.

I think that, when you go out for an evening bite you may find a willing taverna owner ready to give you a lift home. ( Some will you know - Providing they're not rushed off feet etc )

And , well done for the positive way you are looking forward to it. - Enjoy it y'all

Cheers
Negg

Offline karenansell1

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 05:49:09 PM »
hi negg...do you live there?  lucky bugger if you do !!!!!
have just e mailed olympic to see if they can provide any assistance seeing as their brochure doesn't say anything about being unsuitable for people with mobility problems...not holding my breath though eh?   it's only down to you gang in arillas that we found out how steep the hill was....what is bourdetto and stamna....have been reccomended to try these at brouklis...thanks to all of you for suggestions and continued support
with all kind regards
karen, mark, betty and tom

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »
The very last thing i want to do is put a dampner on your great positive attitude but that hill is a killer, and thats without a wheelchair, my sister stayed there in July. I would definitely hold out for any assistance from Olympic.  You could always club together and hire a car?

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 06:21:22 PM »
Hi Karen
We do live here and, yes , although Christos is a "Hill Hike" you are away from the hustle and bustle so should have a quieter time.
The hill can be a big downside to your hol so look into that a little more. 

Bourdetto, is, I'm sure available from a few places but always try and look for it as a special. Brouklis does this and calls it "Fish in a red wine sauce" I don't eat a lot of fish but enjoy this one at Brouklis.

Stammna? -  and once again try and find it as a special. I know that Costas on the Beach used to serve it and , strangely enough, tonight it's down as a special at Helens Taverna which is a place recently open this year. The owner/ chef there is very passionate about his cooking and wants to try and retain Greek dishes as they used to be.

Bottom line is  that you shouldn't get a bad meal anywhere but keep an eye out for the specials at any place you visit. They are prepared for the evening in mind.

Cheers
Negg

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »
I can say that pushing a 20st guy around the local roads and Tescos (with an attached trolley), pushing wheelechairs around the hospital (sometimes 2 at a time!)  makes me a bit of an expert recently and its not much fun, sheer hard work!  So perhaps you might need to find a hill near you and practise! Build up those leg and arm muscles as you will need them..I thought the "little" hill towards the Bakery was a bit much in the heat but that one to Christos is a killer.. We have only walked down it, no way would I walk up it without a rocket behind me!  You must ask for some help I think otherwise you will feel stranded on top of the hill in between Arillas and San Stef.

If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »
The hill is dealt with so I'm going off into my territory. Bourdetto is firm fish smothered in a  tomato sauce that takes many hours to make. The usual trinity of onion, tomato and garlic, but recipes are guarded like treasure. I have asked Roula many times to spill the beans and tell me how to make it. She has never given in, even in the face of forum windbag, Anorak, hippy etc. Just go to Brouklis and eat it. TerryW will endorse that - we always compete to get Bourdetto and Galactaboureko (Pudding from heaven - that's what it means...)

Stamna is my signature dish.  Most do it with mountain lamb, but I do it with shin of beef (not the supermarket braising steak, real shin of beef.) It is the standard beef stew, but flavoured with cloves and cinnamon. And of course seasoned with black pepper, lots of it. Then the potato slices (2cm thick) covered in feta cheese are swimming in the sauce. It is a hearty autumn or winter dish, totally Corfiot, and my favourite. Well I am lying. I haven't got a favourite. I have a very long list of food I adore, and I can eat it every day in Corfu. In Arillas I always do. Forget the "full English" Waste of money. Eat the local food...

Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
Phil....thast would be worth the trip from Southampton to Glastonbury. I love food but can't cook....I've dropped hints to blondegirl but I don't think she wants me to move in. I'm prepared to travel for a good meal.....I'll bring the vodka.
Sandy x

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 07:46:25 PM »
Made my afternoon Sandy meluvver. Laughing my a**e off. You are ALWAYS welcome to join us for stamna, stifado, moussaka or whatever we are doing at the time. Yes, I am an accomplished cook because I adore good food. Couldn't possibly leave that part of my life to anyone else. The rest shouldn't be discussed.... BG has already banned me from her kitchen.

We have the Hairy Bikers on cyber-telly right now. He just said "I've got these French tarts here..." I let out a little whoop - we have these Arillas Tarts here! Phil Jen and Sandy...

Try stamna in Portofino when you are over - but be warned it looks small but is actually a killer of a meal. I have tried it many times but never finished it all.

love from both of us
Phil

And yes, bring even more vodka....

Offline Jo Wissett

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 11:06:36 PM »
Phil, I was going to say about portofino's Stamna! fabulouso!

Booking.com