Author Topic: Gravia - History?  (Read 18831 times)

Offline Samwell

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
  • Yammas!
Gravia - History?
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:44:46 AM »
I was meaning to ask when I was out there this year, I can be a kind of nut for history and geographical facts, but Id love to learn more about Gravia island itself.

Ive looked for information on the net regarding the island and found very very little.

Each time I visit Arillas, I stare out at Gravia and wonder if it was ever part of Arillas, or Afionas... if people have and do go on it from the boats... how large it is to actually walk upon... and any sort of history. Id be fascinated to know. Perhaps it was once used by war-vessels as a place to hide... or pirates?!?

Who knows...? Well, locals might. Id be interested to hear from Dimitris on this. Maybe someone else has already asked the question?

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Gravia - History?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:01:44 AM »
Well, I'm sorry Sam. Gravia has bothered us for years. We keep looking at it and once got speedboated round the back. Now we just watch it from Graziella and Dimitris makes jokes with me, which I adore.

There are three islands and I am ashamed I can't name them all. Gravia, Mathraki and Othraki??? Someone please come to my rescue and explain! I have read about them all and want to visit. One has a fabulous hotel I can't afford to stay in. I would pitch a tent on the beach.

Please help with information. I know a lot, but not all of it.

Phil

Offline Ann K

• Arillas Addict
  • Arillas! Arillas! Arillas!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
I know nothing about Gravia except we sit and look at it like many others.  I believe there are small sandy bits where you can lie in peace if you get a boat out there.  But it must be really hot with not much shade.

Phil - the other islands are Mathraki, Orthoni and Ericoussa.  Have never been to Orthoni, went once to Ericoussa - nothing much there but good for an amble round and very peaceful.  Mathraki (apart from Arillas) is sheer heaven.  Have spent hours wandering around the island.  Very hilly but just so beautiful.  You can get the local ferry from San Stef but don't go on a holiday or name day or you'll never get on it!

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:55:20 PM »
Thanks Ann. bit more knowledge never hurts.

Phil

Offline Paul C

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »
I think this might be one for Dimitris to answer. I thought there was some tie up with Hercules, I'm probably wrong.We did sneak around the other side last year when we hired a boat (not supposed to do that) much the same as the Arillas side.

Offline tonynglenda

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:29:43 PM »
We went round the other side of gravia on a boat and as Paul D says its the same as the side you an see, no beaches or anything, its just a big rock. We were told the locals used to keep goats there years ago to avoid paying some sort of tax.

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
Gravia sometimes called Kravia is not in the same island group as Matthraki, Othoni and Erikousa which are further out and further north.

Gravia and the 2 smaller islands Sikia and the end one Yineka as you know are just off the coast of Arillas.

The resort report on the Agni.gr web-site says the writerwas told there are lovely sandy beaches on the othe side of Gravia.  Having been around in a boat I certainly didn't see any .... just big rocks and cliffs into deep water.

A snorkeling friend fishes there in the deep water but said you can get on land with care in places.  It is just a lump of rock though so not much walking. The sea was too choppy for us to risk damaging the boat by landing.

Don't know about any history but have read that legends state it is a ship of Odysseus turned to stone (karavi is a word for boat).

Go to http://www.afionas.gr for more about it. Click on the Union Jack and then choose History.

Dennis

Offline dimitris

• Administrator
  • Forum Fanatic
  • 尚 尚 尚 尚 尚
    • www.arillas.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
The Island complex of  Gravia is consisted of three Large rocky islands with some vegetation the largest Island called Gravia has a small bay 10 metres long and one or two wide with pebbles  on the front  side overlooking Afionas  which can be visited by a small boat or pedalo or a canoe when the sea is calm.

the second island is the Sykia which means fig tree ( it takes the name from a fig tree that used to grow on it).
Then the smaller rock is the Gynaika which means Woman. It takes the name from the fact that as you look at it from Arillas while the north waves smash on it's edges, it looks as if a woman is sitting there washing her clothes on the water by smashing them on to the rocks.

The Gravia island is inhabited by a small number of goats that have been left there from the ancestors of the Graziella family where they still live in a wild state.

that's for now
   I have to do some work  
Dimitris Kourkoulos
Brouklis Str 7
Arillas 49081
Corfu Greece
+30 26630 51418
www.arillas.com
Brouklis Taverna
The 10 things you don't know about Arillas

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 12:16:43 AM »
Many thanks all of you. I am glad to have learned so much more about it all.

Phil

Offline justlynn

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 12:30:15 AM »
I agree, Phil. 

Thanks for the information, Dimitri.  I find it fascinating.....

lynn xx

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:30:43 AM »
I never knew any of that Dimitri....so thank you for taking the time to post.
Sandy x

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 01:33:56 AM »
When looking from the clifs to the north
Dot thinks Gravia looks like a gigantic Crocodile crawling its way towards Arillas

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »
I love looking at it though John - never quite caught it at that angle. It can look like all sorts of different things from different angles.....one of my favourite pastimes when I am there.
Sandy x

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
Samwell

Apparently Corfu and all the islands are the tops of ancient mountains from the era when the Mediterranean was formed (the Atlantic broke through the gap at Gibraltar ... I watch the History channels !!).

I have always been interested in the natural world and love the TV history and geographical documentaries. So naturally some things I see in Corfu around Agios Georgios and Arillas etc fascinate and puzzle me.

Some things I have been trying to clarify for my own web-site before posting them  but it is difficult finding experts. I am part way there.

Dennis

Offline ger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 11:22:59 AM »
we sit on the beach watching the dragon to make sure it doesnt creep up on us!! but it does look more like a crocodille doesnt it?!
ger x

Booking.com