Author Topic: Driving to Corfu  (Read 31313 times)

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
Re: Driving to Corfu
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »
Love the reports - but still sounds like Hell to me.

Days get more important as yous get older - why waste what's left on stress and satnav when you could be chatting to Kostas and Hannah in the Nut? Laying in the sun au naturel on Arillas North beach? Eating the best sofrito you ever tasted at Brouklis?

SleasyJet and half a day sacrificed is too much for me. Driving through Troumpeta is just Hell on earth.

Beam me up Scottie - destination Broukils. Wish it were 7th July...
Phil

Offline isobel

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
2weeks and we are on the road again driving to arillas how are maggie and gordon getting on have you reached venice yet

Maggie

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2009, 09:19:28 PM »
 Well, we did it!What a trip. The ferries were excellent, the driving was easier than anticipated.However, I don't think we will do it again! It was a necessary trip tho, and it cost us a lot less than having a company move all our stuff. If anyone is thinking of driving over, then if it's for a long stay, it's a good way to do it. However it's not a cheap way to get there.We used motorways all the way, because our time was limited, and the french tolls are expensive. It cost us around 100 euros each way. (including the vignette for Austria.) The food on the boats is expensive. We didn't have a plug adapter with us, so our mobiles died on us. That's something anyone contemplating a trip like this might  not think about. We did bring one with us on the return!
When we got to Arillas, it was decent weather, but on Wednesday morning it rained. SERIOUSLY!!!!! I have not experienced rain like that for a long time.....
And, 2 of my windows leaked!  It did improve in the afternoon, so we took time out to visit the creperie, and visit a few friends.
Now we're back here, and in 5 weeks, we will be back again in Arillas. To live there this time.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
Hi Maggie and Gordon.

It was your parting shot that hit me between the eyes.

and in 5 weeks, we will be back again in Arillas. To live there this time.

It's not that we're green or anything. Not a bit of it. We just can't hide it. We will visit in July, and just hope to see you around when we're a bit sober. (We might have a reputation, but are usually drunk on being there without any alcohol at all. Well, only two Mythos perhaps....)

Bonne chance, bon voyage et bien fait. Er, I can do French but love Greek... got to get me thinking cap back on to do it in Greek like yous two have to learn now.
Love and very best wishes
Phil

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
Hi, Maggie.   Like Phil, we`re dead jealous, but in a good way.  You can now enjoy the benefits of all your hard work and the long hours on the road.
   Quite simply, enjoy your new life and only occasionally think of us all stuck here wishing we were in your  shoes.

Iechyd Da (Good Health)
                                               Paul D and Heather
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2009, 10:52:47 PM »
Best of luck to you Maggie......hope it all goes well for you both. See you there sometime!
Sandy x

Offline M n M

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2009, 11:40:53 PM »
Maggie and Gordon, our best wishes for the future and we hope to see you again when we come over on the 15th June staying at you know where. See you there again, Mick n Mary.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2009, 12:02:41 AM »
Well, you'll be without philandjen (p'raps a good idea) on your arrival. Courtesy of Gordon Brown and the exchange rate. We should have been part of the welcoming committee and so wish we were. Oh how hard is this life. We are there anyway luvver....

Make a great victory out of it all. Adore that countryside, enjoy the Greek way of living, remember us all who can only do it all on our computers. You know we are all still here for real.

compare the arillasdot com - sounds different - compare the realthing dot com...

Maggie and Gordon, you're the realthing. See you in Arillas
Phil

Offline BeckyB

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2009, 11:45:25 AM »

Just wanted to say "Great Good Luck" Maggie to you & Gordon from Christian & I.
Happy Days!! :-)
Hope all goes well for you.
Maybe see you out there sometime?
BeckyB xx

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2009, 07:07:41 PM »
The weathers just turned lovely. I cannot drag myself away. Due to catch the ferry on Friday.

My Suzuki Jeep is now firmly for sale. 900 Euros. First come first served.

Regards
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Marion

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »
Maggie - Glad to hear you had a safe journey to Corfu - our very best wishes in your new home.   My son and hubby are driving to Corfu in June (I,m flying out to meet them later!!!) so we were very interested in your reports.  Best wishes again.
Marion and Keith

Maggie

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
Thankyou for all your good wishes. Marion, I'm sure your boys will enjoy the trip. It is a great adventure, but I'm not very good at 'roughing it'.  We only did the airline type chairs on the ferry, so if I had to do it again, I'd have a cabin. However, I'm glad I experienced the trip.

Offline Marion

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
Thanks for advice Maggie - Keith and Will have booked their ferry crossing Venice/Corfu and have booked a cabin so sould get some "shut eye"!! They are leaving Calais on the 4th June and have booked their Corfu crossing on the 8th June so can take their time in diving down to Venice. We have maps and "route ideas" all over the dining room table they are really looking forward to it!
Regards Marion

Offline Janis

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2009, 10:02:43 AM »
Hi Maggie and Gordon - all the best for your future life in Corfu. How wonderful for you!
What a journey! Bet you're glad that's over! I used to drive most times when we travelled abroad in Europe, but then on one occasion I was tired, had been driving too long, it was pouring with rain, and we got lost! It was, as the expression goes, the straw that broke the camel's back - yes, you've got it - I got the hump! (Sorry... lol)
I've not driven since in another country - I just think, life's too short for all the hassle -and you can't have a drink.
Janis

Maggie

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2009, 11:52:48 PM »
Marion, They will have a great trip. 4 days is plenty time to get to Venice. Do tell them to be careful when they approach Venice tho.there's a brandnew road, which doesn't register with sat-navs. It's a concrete monster of a road. We ended up taking it instead of the right one, as there is a few roads branching off it. We had to follow it as there is no way to exit it, for a good few kilometers. However, when we did get off it, the sat-nav found us again, and directed  us to the port. Phew!
Janis, I've already told all our greek friends, I will only drive in Arillas when they get traffic lights at each end of the village. If I met another car on the way to the beach, or ,god forbid, a BUS! I'd have to get out of the car and ask someone else to navigate down the road!lol.

Booking.com