Author Topic: Driving to Corfu  (Read 31279 times)

Offline isobel

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Driving to Corfu
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
hi all cn you give me more information on the ancona ferries please  it would be great if we all can keep intouch and share our stories of the trip by road and sea

Maggie

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »
Phil, I don't think anyone would be offended by your views. Not everyone likes driving, and let's face it, if It's quicker by plane, it's a no brainer. We all have reasons for driving over, ours being cost of moving stuff, and being scots, thats important.lol.
Anyway, the point of this post is that I'm wondering if anyone can give me some info on what to expect when we get to the ports. Are the queues horrendous? Or is it all very efficient? We've never done ferries before, so help please!!
Isobel, I will be waiting for your reports too. Have a good holiday.

Offline isobel

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
hi everyone just typical of the french to blockade the ports when we are all ready for our summer breaks i hope you get away on time maggie ill be watching the news good luck

Offline Jo Wissett

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
I think that the drive over via Venice sounds sooo exciting.  Obviously with 3 " are we there yet" whingers in the back it wouldnt be much fun but is definitely something I want to try in the coming years.  Dying to know how your journey went Maggie now that you are safely in Arillas!

Offline coys

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 11:08:35 PM »
Isobel we are going from Ancona this year because it is a quicker route.  We have done the Venice route which is very nice but this year we just want to get to Arillas. The ferry takes about 14 hours to Igoumanitsa and 1 hour from there to Corfu. The day we go there are four ferries going to Igoumanitsa. Will let you know how we get on.
Barry

Offline coys

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 11:52:41 PM »
Maggie when you drive into the port the minoen dock is the far end you should be able to see the ferry as you cross the bridge. If you arrive early park in any queue and go into the check in area they will give you a destination card to put in your windscreen. Just before boarding they will direct you into the line for Corfu very efficient. In the check in area there are light refreshment facilities, toilets etc. Hope this helps.
Barry.

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »
coys....you're just trying to get into that chat room aren't you? LOL
Sandy x

Offline coys

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »
You found me out Sandy.....

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:25 AM »
Ah Barry - it's 21 now. Enjoy general chat - can be very illuminating....

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2009, 12:20:04 AM »
Maggie,

I hope you and Gordon have a lovely safe trip. Its something I would love to do one day. I can just imagine the two of you travelling over the Alps listening to the Proclaimers - 500 Miles.

Do you have a route planned that I could put on Google Earth? It would be lovely to be able to trace your route.

TerryW

Offline isobel

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
thans barrie ill look up ferries from ancona we did venice last year thought it might be a change to sail from ancona

Offline Marion

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2009, 08:58:19 PM »
Hi Maggie/Isobel and anyone else who has driven to Corfu!!! My husband and son are driving to Corfu via Venice in June and using the Dover/Calais crossing. Can anyone tell me the best route to Venice as to date we have been advised on at least three different routes. Their sailing time is a 1700hrs Monday crossing from Venice. Many Thanks Marion

Offline ColinD

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2009, 08:09:08 PM »
I really must try it sometime, as it would be very handy having our car there.  The Venice route sounds particularly appealing, so does anyone have any idea of the mileage from Calais to Venice?  I would like to work out how much fuel it would take.  We use diesel, which I know is cheaper in mainland Europe.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.

Offline isobel

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »
hi we went dover to dunkurike then set the sat nav 900 miles to venice no problems fantastic sceneary a word of warning though we drove a new rav4 diesel no problems until we started using corfu diesel this caused burnt out injectors and ruined the cyilender liners because of the poor quaility deisel we were lucky the jeep was under warranty

Offline coys

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2009, 10:16:01 PM »
Hi we drove Calais to Venice via Mont-Blanc 860 miles.
Barry

Booking.com