Author Topic: Arillas elsewhere?  (Read 10324 times)

Offline huge*abba*fan

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
Re: Arillas elsewhere?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
Like I said, if you are happy keep going back year after year, then thats fine.  Each person is different.
I tend to like going to a new place each year and maybe go back somewhere I have been before, 2 or 3 years later.
I would never rule out going back to Arillas one day nor not recommend it to another person.
I can honestly say, apart from Malta, there is not a place I have been to where I would not return.

Lisa

Offline keefy

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »
Huge*abba*fan
How come you would not go back to Malta I have been once myself and was not a big fan. But I some people who would go nowhere else (bit like me & Arillas)

Offline sharonF

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
Keefy, know what you mean about Malta.  My parents used to go every year for years, they loved it.  I went with them one year and hated it! lol

Sharon x

Offline keefy

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »
SharonF
A new motto for Arillas...."You've had the rest now try the best ARILLAS"

P.s is it really only a month and 3 days till you go back to Arillas (your ticker suggests this)

Offline huge*abba*fan

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »
Malta is just one of those places where I have been and I hated it from the start - didnt help who I went with though, lol.

Lisa

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 07:12:05 PM »
Malta used to be my Arillas.

I first went there back in the late 70's as a 20 year old, with my friend and her parents in a private appartment in St.Pauls. At that time, the tourists were all people who had been based there during the war, or had done their national service out there. Consequently, it seemed to us that we were the only English females on the island under the age of 60! This, plus the fact that Maltese girls all disappeared home at 9.00pm, ensured that we got quite a lot of attention from the boys, to say the least!!
We kept a diary of events and recorded the times of our first 'chat-up' each evening. The record was within 40 seconds of leaving the appartment!!
Needless to say, we had an absolute whale of a time and contunued to go back at least twice a year, for many years.
After several years break ,we went back about 10 years ago , and although we once again had a great time, we could see how 'new' visitors would be disappointed. Whilst the people are as welcoming and as friendly as in Arillas , Malta has definately suffered from over-development.
I still intend to back, and it will always be a special place for me, but sadly, I don't think I could recommend it with the same confidence or enthusiasm as I can Arillas.

Angie

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 09:54:42 PM »
I have never fancied Malta... my parents went and hated it... so I must admit that puts me off.   I personally wont go back to Turkey, even though I loved the scenery, its not somewhere that my heart gets pulled back to.

We have really only been to Europe. mostly Greece and that is where we feel safe, relaxed and totally chilled out...  I am tempted to try somewhere else but I know I will be forever thinking "I wish I was in Arillas" - I think its because if we were anywhere else we would feel that we just had to do all the "touristy" things like driving and visiting ruins etc. that at our age we prefer to take things a lot slower and Arillas fits the bill plus our "pocket".  Now... if I was offered a holiday say in the Maldives or somewhere else exotic then I probably wouldn't turn it down either.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Sara

• Forum Fanatic
    • www.villatheia-corfu.com
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »
I have to agree with Phil & Sharon. I've been to several places in Europe. I choose quiet, laid back, small resort type of places, but, nowhere compares to Arillas. In some places I have actually felt quite miserable & let down, because the area wasn't as beautiful, or I was unable to go for long walks, or there were no nice places to eat compared with the tavernas in Arllas - the list goes on... Going back to Arillas, I know what I'm getting & every pound I spend on my holiday is a pound well spent & I know that I'm going to have the most wonderful time.

Offline sharonF

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
SharonF
A new motto for Arillas...."You've had the rest now try the best ARILLAS"

P.s is it really only a month and 3 days till you go back to Arillas (your ticker suggests this)

Lol, keefy agree with that!  It's a month and 3 days since I was there, haha.

Sara, that is exactly how I feel as well.

As for Malta, mum and dad first went in the early 80's so it was lovely then, but when I went with them in late 90's it had changed a lot.  There was no character or soul to it, the people didnt want to know and there were no authentic places to eat.

Sharon x

Offline keefy

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
SharonF   Well you really suprised me about Malta not being friendly...I was last there in 2001 I think and it was not that bad. People were friendly but as you said nowhere decent to eat no authentic resturants. So I think Malta has been given the big thumbs down. Looks like Greek hols for me.....OK OK Arillas hols but I do get the odd yearning for other places.....like New Zealand why because we watch a programme on Sky called the Lion man and my wife wants to go to see this chap and all of his big cats.....Possibly stroke one or two lions or tigers etc

Offline alyvin

• Golden Medal {over 60 posts}
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 03:53:18 PM »
Hi Noel
I visited Stegna Beach on Rhodes earlier this year and really enjoyed it. It is mainly Greek speaking, quiet, lovely beach and you can get the local bus into Lindos or Rhodes Town for sight seeing. Very similar to Arillas in that there were 2 small bars and a good choice of restaurants. I stayed at the Sergios Apartments- all studios are on the beach, on the 1st floor with a sea view.

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »
I googled this and they look really nice... now I wouldnt mind going there.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Paul D

• Forum Fanatic
  • Welsh Arilliac
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »
Hi, Noel.  If you like Majorca,then Portals Nous, near Palma Nova, is nice.
   There`s a small cove for a beach with a few hotels.  The main village is a hike up a steep hill.  We stayed at the Aguamarina, right by the sea.
    Best Wishes Paul D
Arillas - `perfect antidote to life`s stresses and strains`!

Offline Lindypops

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »
Sharon. Seems a long time ago now doesn`t it? Hope you`re well.xx
Lindypops.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 01:37:02 AM »
BG Rhodes is nice. The far end of Faliraki is still unspoilt, and in spite of Greece Uncovered, there are plenty of peaceful experiences to be had there. A big naturist beach, quiet tavernas and taramasalata to die for. Had it for breakfast most days. Just a shame it is next to two miles of sunbeds, nutters and noise.

Understand how people need to see new places - for Jen and me at our age we've done that and would rather know what we are getting. Arillas always delivers and that suits us. We never seem to be short of a party if we want one, nor short of peace tranquility and relaxation. We can be ourselves there. Some of you have watched us do just that....

Phil

Booking.com