Air Malta

Started by gaye, August 02, 2008, 11:27:52 AM

sue

i was delayed going to tunisia for 15 hours that was with thomas cook

Joe

Delays delays everywhere, all destinations and all carriers :)

justphil

Only seems to be in North of England Joe. We took off an nearly an hour EARLY this last time from Bristol. Arrived at Annas at 1.30 instead of 2.30.

And on our way back we watched loads of people at Kapodistrias airport who were suffering long delays on flights to Manchester.

Probably not the airline or the tour operators who are responsible - what is really going on??

Phil

kes

link below gives detailed statistics on Manchester Airport departure delays....

& we can`t blame the Luftwafe........   Laughing Mutley

Hurricane (WW2)

http://www.flightontime.info/charter/charter.html

Joe

We have the summer 08 stats so far and believe me they are pretty much constant all over, still putting it all into perspective you have a much higher chance of being on time than being delayed.

Joe

It's worth mentioning to that a lot of Corfu flights are slot 3 meaning the aircraft has done two other rotations that day beforehand meaning delays picked up earlier will spill over.

robinm

I think a lot of the problems are down to the technology being used at Corfu airport. I am pretty sure it does not have a fully automated Instrument Landing System and this would mean that in adverse weather conditions (Fog and Mist) Pilots cannot pick out the runway. We experienced this on our Monarch flight from Luton which was due to land at 5-00am on the 19th July. The plane was on it's final approach and just about to land when the runway was suddenly shrouded in mist and the landing was aborted - I actually found it quite exciting as we went up again like a rocket. The pilot came on the intercom and said he lost sight of the runway. We flew around for a bit but were diverted to Brindisi where we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours to wait for the mist to clear. I think quite a few flights were diverted to various places that morning. This then has a knock on effect as all the slots are missed.

Apologies for being a bit of a Anorak!

sharonF

I must be in the minority here, we fly from Manchester Airport and have been going to Corfu since 2005, we havent been delayed once, great flights always on time and all with different carriers.

Sharon x

kes

Sharon...let us all know what flights you are on in future then we can book the same ..

:)

sue

air malta was a great flight really enjoyed it

riggers

Glad it went well for you Sue....

Joe

Quote from: robinm on August 04, 2008, 04:58:47 PM
I think a lot of the problems are down to the technology being used at Corfu airport. I am pretty sure it does not have a fully automated Instrument Landing System and this would mean that in adverse weather conditions (Fog and Mist) Pilots cannot pick out the runway. We experienced this on our Monarch flight from Luton which was due to land at 5-00am on the 19th July. The plane was on it's final approach and just about to land when the runway was suddenly shrouded in mist and the landing was aborted - I actually found it quite exciting as we went up again like a rocket. The pilot came on the intercom and said he lost sight of the runway. We flew around for a bit but were diverted to Brindisi where we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours to wait for the mist to clear. I think quite a few flights were diverted to various places that morning. This then has a knock on effect as all the slots are missed.

Apologies for being a bit of a Anorak!

From one anorak to another Corfu was upgraded last year, while not full ILS it is much better and our planes can get in when previously they could not.

However, even with the most modern airfield in the world, if the pilot cannot see it or the view distance is down then the aircraft will abort. Corfu Town often suffers from low cloud and mist especially in the airport basin, but to be honest we have not had many delays this summer due to that, as I mentioned most of the delays are either tech or follow-ons, Corfu istself creates very little delays.

gaye

SOOOOOOOOOO we checked in as instructed again at 12 noon  for a 2pm departure. We boarded and then were left sitting on the plane until 4.30 as the luggage went missing and then the pilot couldn't get clearance to take off. We had paid for an inflight mealbut there was no hot  food on board so had to purchase extortionately priced sandwiches!
We finally arrived in Arillas at 11 pm instead of 6.30 a.m tired,hungry and angry!
That said, we returned this morning with no delays, having had a FANTASTIC fortnight at our favourite holiday spot. 
gaygo

blondegirl

We ended up landing in Brindisi one year, after circling for ages we had to divert for more fuel there and then back again.  5 hours on the plane that time!  Also it was raining in Brindisi which didnt bode well but was fine when we landed in Corfu.  Not Air Malta though.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Lindypops

kes, good info thanks.
Lindypops.

Booking.com