Author Topic: Small construction on the beach ?  (Read 25947 times)

Offline BBB

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
Re: Small construction on the beach ?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_2_08/04/2008_95254

Sorry if this has been posted before but Greece will impose a No Smoking Ban in public places from 2010.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »
Probably - but don't worry, the Greeks will just ignore it!! lol.

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
I just love the way they ignore anything that is considered 'bureaucratic nonsense' and simply apply 'common sense'.
'Wish we had more of it here.

Offline briant

• Bronze medal {over 20 posts}
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 11:30:40 PM »
only our nickname for him.He liked to say Lovely Jubbly which he picked up from a customer in Sidari when he was working in a Restuarant last year.

Marymary

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »
That's crazy stopping kids of all ages building sandcastles on the beach I can't see how it would stop anyone from renting a sun bed. I hope Greece is not going to get like Britain with its mad rules!
Phil as for the smoking ban in Corfu Airport when I was there in May I didn't notice anyone sticking by it in the departure lounge anyway but outside they had more ashtrays there.   In England some  " the smoking police" are using the ban as cash machines our town centre has a total smoking ban apparently even the part that is totally open air and one bloke had light up just outside the "border" and got an £80 fine. Crazy! I was told a corker at work yesterday while on the phone to a customer, who has members of staff working in Durham prison, helping inmates to find work following their release. Now the prison officers have to take their shoes off at night so they don't wake the prisoners up while they sleep!! I thought prison was supposed to be a punishment.

Anyway
Happy sandcastle building, happy holidays and happy smoking
Love
Mary

Offline graham

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 06:22:24 PM »
Perhaps the Greek Health and Safety Monkeys are catching up with our lot? Before long you'll need an architect, planning permission and CITB qualifications before you can start building your des res on the prime beachfront locations generally reserved for such activities!!

Can't imagine it really though, he must have been having a laugh at the poor kids expense surely?
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline justphil

• Arillas regular visitor
  • ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 02:40:08 AM »
Graham I laughed my head off before deciding to reply. Your cynicism must match mine. Sandcastle tax based on the height of the construction, The s**g tax based on the length of the p***s etc.  Is Gordon Brown Suicidal? Don't get justphil on politics....

see you in Arillas - I doubt jen and me will live in UK for much longer

Phil

Offline iluvsangeorge

• About Agios Georgios
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
This sounds to me like an over-zealous sunbed man.  He buys the right to operate his sunbed and umbrella business but this comes with the responsibility to clean up rubbish at the end of the day.

He does not own the sand and I doubt if he has any right at all to stop your children building sand-castles anywhere on the beach unless of course there is a public notice that they can only be built on the tide-swept areas.

They sometimes tell you you can't sit on the sand in their patch (if you don't want a sunbed) and should move on. But the next one might do the same. A local hotel owner suggested I should tell them I was going to ask the Tourist Police for their opinion.

If your kids are stopped building sand castles I suggest you do the same.

Dennis

Offline graham

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 01:24:06 PM »
LOL Phil, I'll be ok on the S**g tax then! 17 more years until I retire and counting, I know it's bad to wish your life away but when that 17 years is up I'm hoping to live in Corfu too! I'm going to have to keep my sandcastles to a single storey though because I can't afford the taxes!
See you there
Graham
A woman has the last word in any argument, anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument!

Offline Eileen

• ARILLIAC
  • Linakis lemons!
    • http://www.villalinakis.com
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
Graham,

Judging by your photo on your avatar you must be retiring very early indeed. :-)

Eileenx

Offline MJstukinuk

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
I am guessing that the sunbed man objected to the position of the sandcastle because it would have hindered the return of his sunbeds to where he keeps them at the end of the day,
ie, instead of dragging them in a straight line, he would have had to duck and dodge sandcastles so I believe it was purely a rule he made up himself to suit himself.

Phil, speaking as an ex ex-pat, there are stupid laws in Greece also .................
as an old friend of ours used to delight in telling us,
"nothing in Greece is free, only the air"

When we went for our residence permit we had to sign a declaration that we would not ask the greek government for any handouts at all and they photocopied out bank book.

You have to get a permit for this, a permit for that and it goes on ..............

Yes, DH and I love Corfu but the rules and reg's are just as crazy as UK

Offline kes

• Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »
Just as a footnote they  have to pay a yearly fee for the licence to operate the sunbeds.
They have to buy the equipment themselves and also pay tax on the takings(well sometimes  :)
They also spend time trying  to keep the beach clean and free from litter....  lets give them, a break!!!

Offline nicki

• Silver Medal {over 40 posts}
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 08:39:26 PM »
Del Boy - the sunbed man on the Kaloudis to the Marina - is actually called Dimitris and is fab, always smiling and always up for a game of football! During our time out there he and his friends were even building sandcastles themselves!!!
Can't wait to see what everyone's up to when I go back on Friday!

Offline MicK-G

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »
I got told off last year for building sandcastles, it didn't stop me though and I did try to build it near to the sea. I know that this is sad but I can't bring myself to knock down my construction. I was going to say spectacular erection but thought it may cause offence.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »
No offence Mick-G. We should all be grown up here and you will hear worse said in many contexts. Arillas is about enjoying life. Read our holiday report. The people are the point and some of my close Greek friends swear in English better than I do. I don't care.

Phil

Booking.com