Author Topic: exchange rate  (Read 135910 times)

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
Re: exchange rate
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »
Surely the euro has to drop in value at some point? After all, there is a recession all over Europe as well as in the UK....but I'm no economist. Just an eternal optimist.....

I'm with you Sandy! As anything what goes up must come down.  It probably wont be drastically in 2009 though. I am sure it will go up a little in May but we just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed :)

Life is good ;)

Offline kes

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Relax
    • Relax in Arillas
« Reply #226 on: December 31, 2008, 02:04:14 PM »
seems its all to do with the US dollar...most investments were in $`s and as the dollar has took a pounding so the Euro is where the worlds investors are putting the money...unless the dollar recovers then its bad news all round.....

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »
kes, I believe you have it. The monied people are putting their faith in Europe as a whole and leaving the US dollar for the euro. I was wrong - we should have joined long ago.

The complete disaster for us will be if the UK joins at 1 euro = 1 pound. We will stay poor for the rest of our lives. It would destroy our Arillas plans (dreams now?)

Like our Sandy - we hope for better and are eternal optimists.
Phil

Offline Sandy x

• Sandy
  • ARILLIAC
  • Kouklospito
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
The £ had gone up a bit by last night.....1.10. let's hope this is the start of an improvement.....
Sandy x

Offline angiem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »
The £ had gone up a bit by last night.....1.10. let's hope this is the start of an improvement.....

Whahoo - £ going up, Easyjet flights from Manchester - 'turning out to be not a bad day after all!!

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »

Maybe with the strong Euro we'll see Greeks buying land in the UK now?

I'm sure Geoffrey ( wivva G ) remembers this tongue in cheek comment. But I recently read, and saw on Sky , reports that the low interest rate and falling property prices are attracting overseas buyers to the UK.
Maybe that added to climate changes means that England could be the place to own a holiday home in 20 + years time? - ( Tongue in cheek again Geoffrey )

( I think it's still around e1.10 today? )

Cheers
Negg

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
I think the general perception in the City is that The Euro overshot a little and this is a correction. However some of the pundits are saying that we can expect 90 cents to the pound in years to come.

At the moment our interest rates are still higher than the states so people are still converting to Sterling to bank here.

I dont ever remember feeling to gloomy/scared for the future of our economy.

Im glad we bought our flights for the start of the season so nomatter we are coming out this year. We found Easyjet flights from Bristol in October for about £70 return but in honesty I havent got the heart to book them at the moment. Going to have to wait and see.

Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline Geoffrey with a "G"

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
Maybe with the strong Euro we'll see Greeks buying land in the UK now?

I'm sure Geoffrey ( wivva G ) remembers this tongue in cheek comment.

Eggy -  your quote was from "Geoff", yes, wivva G, but not "Geoffrey with a `G`", this topic is far too advanced for me!
Geoffrey with a `G´

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »
BIG APOLOGIES Geoffrey , wivva G.

Cheers Negg.

ps - Wanna buy a house in the West Country?
( Any sensible offer , in EUROS, considered )

Offline Geoff

• Corfiotophile
  • Arillas Addict
    • http://www.geoff-and-sue.freehighway.net
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »
Guilty (thats wiv a G as well) It was this Geoffrey that made the comment - but I log in as Geoff as only my Mother calls me Geoffrey when I have been a very naught boy!
I can't believe that was for real though Eggy - unless of course it is simply property investors who are buying now while prices are low, with a view to selling when prices go up again, which they surely will, but my guess would be that it will take several years to turn a profit on such an investment. As for holiday homes in the UK - good luck to you if that's the kind of masochist you are - me? I'm staying with Corfu!!
£/€ at 1.1068 at 08.14GMT - to get latest trading figure take a look at http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/ticker/markets/11/13/default.stm

Home is where the heart is - CORFU :-)

Offline Eggy

• On the Spot reporter
  • ARILLIAC
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »
Hi Geoff

We keep an eye on this one as well.

Cheers from a very wet Corfu morning and temps at 9 deg.

Time to go off for an Ouzo. I remember when it cost me £1.60 in June. Now it's £1.83.
Good job they give us very large measures though and after the third the price doesn't seem to matter at all.

Negg

Nan

« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
You'll have me crying in my 99p per pint in Weatherspoons next Eggy!!  Ouzo doesn't taste the same in minus weather temperatures so it's stones ginger wine and a drop of whisky for me.

I might have a ten euro note hanging about from last August if you are open to offers on the house? Anywhere near North Devon? Woolacombe in particular and I could be tempted to up the offer:)

Have a good night at the darts

Cheers Nan x

riggers

« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:38 PM »
I have a 50 euro note left what i got when the rate was a whopping 1.26 in Arillas. I wonder how much i will be better off.

riggers..........

Offline Corfusoon

• Helios Court Villa
  • Arillas Addict
  • Helios Court Arillas Corfu
    • Luxury Villa in Arillas
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »
I found 70 euros in a pot at the weekend left over from our last visit.

When I was thinking of it as £45 that was acceptable now I am thinking of 70 quid! I want to change it.

Bet theres nothing left over next visit.
Style, Luxury, Tranquillity
Helios Court Villa, Arillas, Corfu.
http://www.corfuvilla.holiday

Offline babs

« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »
do anyone know what the exchange rate is now in corfu
thanks you

Booking.com