Author Topic: Arillas v Other Countries  (Read 6909 times)

riggers

Arillas v Other Countries
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:17:48 AM »
How many other Countries have all  of us visited?

Has anyone found anywhere like ARILLAS. ?

In Turkey, Spain, France etc..................... ha ha .

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
Re: Arillas v Other Countries
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:40:28 AM »
Nope... we arent as well travelled as some but even though we have been to some lovely other holiday places I can honestly say we have only ever felt totally relaxed and comfortable in Corfu, espcially Arillas!
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline PaulnMaria

• Arillas regular visitor
  • Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:40:20 AM »
We've been to many different countries and many different greek islands but we've only returned to one place .....Arillas!

We have always been of the opinion that there are so many places to visit in the world that we could not afford to visit same place twice but here we are eagerly awaiting our 6th visit to Arillas with the 7th planned.

Don't know what it is but there is something so special about this place! Whether it is the tranquility of lying on the beach or by a hotel pool reading a book, enjoying one of the beautiful walks in the area or chatting to one of the many friends we've made.

We can echo BG's comments - we've been to many lovely holiday places and can honestly say we have only ever felt totally relaxed.....in Arillas!!   

Offline martin-w

• Forum Fanatic
  • Arillas, my second home!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:07:21 AM »
Hi All,
I have been to Spain, Gibraltar, France, Germany including Bavaria, Mainland Greece, Italy,Switzerland,Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium, Sicily, Malta, Turkey, Russia, North Africa, The Balierics  and other destinations I have forgotten. They all have some good points but nothing compares with my favorite destination Arillas for peace, tranquility, and friendliness!
Martin.

Offline TerryW

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:59:02 AM »
Because I had a fear of flying until about 12 years ago, I had never been abroad and I now feel I have a lot of catching up to do, to see the world. But, it is a dilemma if you are trying to find a place for a main holiday and you already think you have found the perfect place. I always thought Kefalonia was "that" place but that has now changed.

It would be nice to have at least two holidays a year, one in Arillas and one on a touring holiday to see different places in the world. I have been to the Algarve (Portugal), Spain, France, Tobago, Kefalonia and now Corfu. I think short City breaks will be on this years agenda, finances permitting. But if more, cheap flights were available to Corfu it would be difficult not to go to Arillas.

TerryW

Offline blondegirl

• ARILLIAC
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »
We were late flying starters as well Terry.  One of our daughters was afraid of flying so our holidays were always in the UK or driving to France or Germany, so we had some catching up to do when she was old enough to be left behind. (now she flies on her own, typical).  We have only been to Europe i.e Majorca, Turkey, and the Greek Islands never a long haul flight (dont think I can stand being cooped up for more than 5 hours, I get "stir crazy").  We have done some city breaks too the obvious ones like Paris twice, Cologne twice and Prague which we enjoyed but now I cant really be bothered with all the hassle, must be getting lazy I think and there again there is the cost too, its not so cheap to go haring off as it used to be.  Even for a weekend it can cost you as much as a two week holiday.
If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

Offline Erja

• Beer Quality controler
  • ARILLIAC
  • Royal Ionian Gold...amber nectar, only better ;)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »
I have travelled quite extensively around Europe, Scandinavia and Japan. The Algarve is not too bad, Spain is reasonable in places and there are some seriously nice places in Finland, but unfortunately the weather there is rather unpredictable even in the summer and I do prefer the warmer climate. Arillas is a clear number one purely because it is just sooooooooooo relaxed and easy.
Life is good ;)

Offline JohnTheRef&Dot

• ARILLIAC
  • First star to the right and straight on to Arillas
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:02:13 PM »
Enjoyed Malta (Sliema) will go back there.
Spain, Majorca, Ibiza. no thanks
Arillas is our Number One

Offline Jennifer Ferguson

• Super Member {over 100 posts}
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »
Nearest 'comparable'  to Arillas we have been to was the island of Leros.Bit of trek to get there as it means either a flight to Kos then a ferry or another flight over to Leros,or flights from Scotland via London and Athens.
Well worth a visit when you get there.

Offline Dave n Anne

• Arillas Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:47:13 PM »
We have been to many countries , mainly europe and the carribean but keep coming back to Arillas , we went to Sifnos about 7 years ago and that was a trek and a half with the girls ie drive to Luton , fly to Athens , bus to Pireaus , ferry to Sifnos. Just short of 24 hours all told but well worth the effort and yes we are going back next year but it will be just the two of us . And Terry I know what you mean about Kefalonia we really enjoyed our week there last year and would go back , but it still is,nt Arillas . As for city breaks give them a try , we try to do 1 or 2 year and you get to see some wonderful places ( if the price is right ) .

Yammas

Dave n Anne

Maggie

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »
We've visited Menorca, Tenerife. Majorca, none of which I would rush back to.
 We have relatives in Minneapolis, and when we've been there, we've ben able to travel to other place. We've been to South dakota and Montana, both of which were absolutely beautiful. I would love to see Mount Rushmore again, and I think that in the future we will return, but for now we're happy with Arillas. It's got everything we want.

Offline justphil

• ARILLIAC
  • Arillas is in my soul
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
Hi all. That's our problem too. Whenever we have the money in season, the choice between Arillas and anywhere else makes itself. And you all know what we always decide...

Offline TONYNEW

• Arillas 2016
  • Forum Fanatic
  • Dionysos
    • Tonys webshots
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
Been to Turkey Rhodes Crete Zante Minorca Mainland Spain but Corfu beats the lot we did like the other greek islands and menorca was nice we hated Tossa de mar and wont ever be going back there, thats why this is our 5th visit to Corfu :-)
                                               Tony

Offline patrickjohn

• Lincolnshire Yellow Belly
  • ARILLIAC
  • PJM
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 12:06:07 AM »
Hi Folk
Its great to read about your views on different places for holidays.  Have been around a bit myself and present favourites are Arillas (number one) and Tingaki in Kos (number two).
However when our sons were young we had three holidays in Denmark.  We found wonderful beaches and countryside.  The North Sea beaches are great.  Drawbacks though (you guessed it) are sea temperature and less reliable weather than the Greek Islands.
We also once stayed for a couple of weeks on the Isle d'Oleron on the Atlantic Coast of France.  It was hot (35 degrees) for several days and the beaches were great.  However the Atlantic is not the Mediteranean and the sea never gets as warm as it does in Arillas.
So, if there is a vote, Arillas gets number one every time with me.
Best wishes
PJ

My book"A Policemance Tale" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8BD9MWM

Offline Shuey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
We have been to Paros, Rhodes, Zante twice, Mallorca several times, Ibiza several times, Tenerife, Lanzarote, Cyprus and Corfu.  The only one that came close to Corfu was Paros and i would imagine that has changed over the years.  Nothing can beat Corfu and that is why we have been back at least once every year for the last 5 years.

Booking.com